Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > staff and hackysack stall...?

Login/Join to Participate

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
i finally sent a vid to malcom of this, but seeing i suck, it probably won't be put on the site ;-) but one of the tricks i like is a one handed horizontal throw, catching the staff on the tip of your shoe and kicking it back up - this requires dropping the foot the same speed of the staff to help cradle and catch it, i'm working on doing the same with the back of my neck - so far i can get the back of my hand, shoe and knee - if you want the video of the shoe stall (i'm warning you that i suck at spinning consistently) just reply and ask for it

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
thank you malcom! you just made a terrible amature happy!psy------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean, I have just been toying around with foot stalls with my long staff. Though we have yet to figure out what to do with it after that (other than to just kick it up) I suppose I will just have to play around some more.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've had an idea for something for a few weeks now. Haven't been able to pull it off yet, but it goes like this:You do the hacky sack style toe stall, then bounce it up just enough to slide your foot off center of the staff, then as the longer side of the staff starts toward the ground you whip your foot around into, what I guess you would call, a toe wrap. When the staff comes horizontal again you just kick it back up and catch it again.If anyone can pull this off, please post a vid. I'd love to see it, 'cuz I bet it would look awesome.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
that does sound cool!! I gotta try that.. hmmm.. Going to have to do it with shorts though, longs are going to hit the ground unless I can do it with a high kick.. lol.I have been trying to stall it on my right foot, then jump and bring the other foot over it, and land the staff on the back of my left foot. (where the top of the back of the shoe is) But I havent been able to do it yet. I would like to then kick/throw it over my body from there and catch it in front of me. Maybe Im dreaming, but I thought it would be a cool signature trick. smile------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.[This message has been edited by GodlovinSponge (edited 23 December 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sponge, if you kick it up high enough you don't have to go over the staff. Here we go with my least favorite thing...move describing....Do a right foot stall....pop it straight up...keep your right foot in the air and pivot your body on you left so the only thing that really changed is what direction you are facing. From here you can catch it on the back of the ankle. Anyway, this is a move from Ballet I recently changed to staff. I find popping it off the back of my ankle more difficult to gain good air though.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The move I think Sponge is trying to discribe is what, in hackysack, is called a "jester". As the bag is falling (after a stall or kick) you jump, swinging your first leg over the hack, then, as you land on your first foot you kick/stall the hack with your second foot. In the basic move you catch it with your instep, and at your side. So I guess he's talking about a BTB variation, not much diffirent, just turning your body an extra 1/4 turn.It sounds possible to do with a staff, just exeedingly difficult.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
No.. lol.. not quite. But That does give me ideas.. thanks. I always was good at jesters anyways. smile------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
As long as we're trying hacky sac tricks, Anyone ever done a pendulum with a staff? -Seems that if you do a quick skipping motion with the other foot it would be possible-> Can't wait to give this one a try grin

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
OMG you are my new best friend...the problem with this is that during a pendulum you lean forward, so you would REALLY have to be on target with that hop...------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wtf is a pendulum?the problem with foot-staff tricks is that they kill the inertia of a fast combo of moves - except for when the staff is still spinning when you stall it! There is a trick i can only do whilst bare foot: it's called the...."My God what a stoopid akward move - can he still have kids?"*ahem*time a helicopter toss from behind/sides/front then catch it @ waist level with a flattened foot right where your toes and upper front part of your foot are perfectly flat. the catch should begin at head level, 'palm' the still horizontally spinning staff on your foot as you decelerate the fall to waist level. At waist level i can then spin it horizontally to behind my back or kick it back into a vertical toss or panic and hurt myself. I am most experienced with that latter variant (bender rubs left ear painfully then smells finger)This trick , needless to say, is a bastard to control and even worse to fuck up.I need a new job------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day." =P

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
One of my foot throws (not impressive really and you probably all did it once upon a time and left it for dead but anyway) is when the Staff is caught in a FOOT STALL (say, on the right) in front of you, move your foot outwards and upwards so the staff flicks off your knee and spins in front. Like a Club-Jugglers PICKUP move but due to the legth of the staff it flicks off the Knee, not the shin. I'd post some pics if that's help but I don't think I can.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I use stalls, well more of a tap of the foot to change the direction of one rotor while doing doubles. Only got a couple though, anyone want to share a few? smileTEMPEST

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i was experimenting with starting the staff on the ground , and popping it up with my feet in various ways, one way im still working on was a jackie chanish sort of move where the staff is lying flat and you put on foot in front of it and one behind, and then jump and scissor your legs so the staff starts spinning, and then catch it and go into a vertical rotor, im just having problems with getting it out from between my legs quick enough...another cool thing is rainbowing it over your head and then catching it, which is basicall using the toe of one foot to scoop the staff onto the back heel of the other foot, and then popping it up over your shoulder, and this actually isnt difficult specially if youve played soccer...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Sorry dude, i'm crap at soccer!Those foot stalls are proving quite nice but trick to be consistent with.How big are your wicks? I mean is your staff far off the ground so you can get a toe under there?Cheers ,Tempest grin