Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Lighting wicks (double staves)

Login/Join to Participate

J4Playmember
24 posts

Posted:
Been messing around with double staves having only one wick on each stave lit. While it doesn't look as fast, it gives a kinda syncopated poi-ish look which is good for a bit of change. Anyhow, I had the idea of starting a routine as such, and then bringing the two staves together (for example starting from figure eights such as in lesson 2 for double staffs), hence lighting the other two wicks. This would look pretty tricky to the untrained eye and isn't really difficult. Indeed, why not start with one wick lit, then light another as above, and finally (after losing 180deg somewhere!) light the other two. Any thoughts?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That sounds interesting, certainly something eyecatching for the crowd.Although, you may need to be careful with burntimes as the first wicks may go out much sooner (not necessarily a bad thing) but also it may affect the burn times when you are doing singles or doubles the whole time.Continually letting one wick burn more than the other will decrease the burn time of that wick and may be frustrating later on.i love the concept though, especially as I used to do a similar thing with some friends where we both had staffs and would light off each other by knocking the unlit and lit wicks together.You get a small fireball if the wicks are loose enough and it looks cool.Maybe something along those lines with doubles?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

J4Playmember
24 posts

Posted:
Yes, knocking an unlit and lit wick together would also look good, especially if you got a small fireball happening. However, although I haven't really tried this, it seems that you might stuggle to light the unlit wick this way (depending on what fuel you use I guess). I'll give it a shot though.As for burn times, yes this could be an issue. But if you don't mind letting your wicks burn out, then you could use the reverse effect to finish your burn. This would work well if you started with two wicks lit, and then lit the other two. The ones lit initially would die out at fairly similar times, leaving you with two lit wicks again.