Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > STAFF: Poi Moves in Follow Time

Login/Join to Participate

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hah, this is a STAFF thread. its all about stick things. If you're stuck in a sticky rut, heres some moves to play with a staff:Every poi move where your in follow time (like the chase or the weave - same direction but out of time) can de done with a staff, yeppiee, if your converting from poi, thats hundreds of new staff moves to play with. (If you're Cantus, and the world of poi is a strange place errm sorry, no help.)If youre exploring theis also try varying where you hold the staff, Cos for all these you can spin it about the middle, or shift up to one end so your doing sword like moves, (really nice for 3+ beat weave moves)I just decided that there wasn't enough staff action going on here, so I'm posting early christmas staff moves. dont forget to hang a few decorations on your xmas staff, a couple of stars, and angle on the top, flashing lights etc. I throw this in and hopefully y'all with come back with now ideas of places you've taken it..lots of glovesglass

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
One day i will hunt you down....Actually I'm gonna start learning poi soon. But don't tell anyone.....it's a secret.A lot of the double staff stuff I've been doing these last few weeks I got from watching people do poi at Headcharge. So I think I need to build on that. Still don't understand the terms though frown

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Cool, kneed some more double stuff.erm, I do 3 beat with two staffs using fingerspins, but when I turn it I have to do oneside 2beat without a 3rd fingerspin and then the otherside goes into normal 3beat weave. You said 3+, how +? What about 4 beat windmills?kneed some more stuff, not playing enough doubles.Love,Nics

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Doh, NixI meant if you hold one stick in two hands with the hands a short distance apart, you can play poi moves. Letting go with either hand where the poi would separate, like in a waist wrap. This give a whole set of moves which are not characteristic of conventional stick work, thats why its a good area to explore.I said a staff as in one stick, (me no play the doubles much) but by cunningly mis-interpreting, you've reminded my of a very dudey doubles move Dimitri showed me with his glow staffs. Hold each staff near the end, (like a sword) or on the end like a swinging club (if it has a knob). and do cross follow (aka the 3 beat weave), windmill and any other poi and club swing moves. Not so good to hold the ends if its wicks.Cantus: You probably cant understand the terms on this page because all of the names for poi moves here are not in english. Proper Queens English names, like "cross and follow" and "reels" which date back to colonial days and traditional Indian Club Swinging. You'd have to be able to speak New Zealandish to understand the names they use here.So long,Glass

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Im trying to get staff moves that I dont hold the staff with, like rolling it across your arm then over your head and to the other side.. Im playing with that at the moment.Try doing that with a poi.. LOL------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can do a 3 beat weave with doubles by the way. At least I think that's what it's called. Didn't know it was a poi move til someone told me though.I tried poi yesterday by the way. In the pouring rain for several hours. Did some doubles moves as these are all i know how to do and because I still lack someone to show me poi. Thistle/Tempest/Orange/anyone?It went ok i thought.Still can't see the appeal though.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh and my new toys will be in festive colours (red and green to be precise).I can't wait til they arrive.*goes off to lie in wait for the postman*

Meh

jMartiskmember
2 posts

Posted:
Hi,you had interesting idea here to use double-staff as "swords" and do the poi movements. How long staffs do you use? I was just thinking that I mine's are about 170 cm so hopefully I have long enough arms ;-)

//jukka.martiskainen@helsinki.fi//

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
170cm? shocked You're as mad as Charles.I do several sword spinning moves with doubles but I hold the staffs in the middle. Lots of practice means I dont get much tip clashing smile

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
170cm for doubles !(bug eyed smilly face!!!how tall r u. Andre the giant?Thats almost as weird as cantus with poiI'm doing single swordy moves about 5ft longGodlovinsponge: I know contact moves r abitch to describe (thats why I haven't tried to post many, bu can you have a go. Details, Plane the staff spinsin bit of the arm and is it over head, neck or face?Lots of glovesGlass [This message has been edited by glass (edited 09 December 2001).]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yo,Cantus, can you turn the weave with doubles? I find it awkward. And also, how do you transition into it?I like using what I call 'longarm' stick where you hold near one end, the diffrence in ballance and speed between the rotations feels really nice. The other night I only had one wick left and we were messin it up with sword stuff.hummm.... finnished

-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Glass - please don't call me Cactus. I presume you did in jest but I should warn you that if you persist you will make an enemy of me.It's kind of a personal matter but I will say that it upsets me a lot.Thanks C@ntus

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I didn't know you be so prickly about itCricky sorrythere you go I've changed itDrew

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I spent ages replying to this your question Nix and then the pc crashed just as i was pressing submit. I'm not gonna write all that out again.But a brief summary follows....I think I can do the weave thingy easily because I didn't know it was meant to be difficult. You lot mostly come from a poi background and I assume are approaching this move from that perspective. Whereas I happened across it through play the second time I picked up my doubles.Transition wise - depends on what music is playing. With doubles my spinnning is more about feeling and so I don't really have a set entry into any moves.It's also hard for me to say what I would do sat, as I am, at the computer.It would be so much easier to show this stuff rather than talking about it but everyone insists on living so far away frown.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
quote:
I didn't know you be so prickly about it
hee hee very punny!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Glass is from London they make jokes like that down there. You know, glass can also be a verb.....

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,I know, its the horrible trouble of converting real life experance to text, peaple spend there whole lives trying to get it right. but Id love to get together some time. I wanna meet glass too.Nics

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Jmartisk - 1.7 metres? Excellent (rubs his hands together in glee)...Now I've found someone who uses double staffs that are longer than mine.I used to prefer 1.5's until I got into doubles and found the 10cm less on two 1.4's made things a lot easier a lot quicker. It may have all been psychosomatic but hey, if it works, it works.As an excuse for not using longer, I am a bit of a shorty when it comes to height...And I will ask again, "How tall are you?" or do you have big lanky monkey arms that you can rip out entire trees with? shocked grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 11 December 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've spun 1.5 doubles. It's fairly easy. Hit myself a few times though. I was teaching a guy to spin a single staff of that length and he said something along the lines of you couldn't do double staffs that long. And, being me, I proved him wrong.I much prefer my smaller staffs but if there's a challenge been layed obviously....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh and Nix, you need to do a slight finger spin to pull it (3 beat weave) off without injury. Or at least I do.Josh can do the move as well. You should try asking him how he does it. I'd ask him myself but he doesn't seem to be talking to me...... shocked frown

Meh

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
cool thread

i reckon it deserves a

~bump~

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Nice one Simian. Any more you'd like to bump? cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
ok...as i was reading this thread for the first time (nice bump simian) , i was kinda feeling smug about myself, i was thinking, hey i have been recently doing poi type spinning with my 5 foot kinda heavy wooden staffs (fat wick too!). the wood means that i can vary my grip throughout the staves, and use it in a double sword type of way...any way i was kinda smug about it. then i saw the thread was started in 2001!!!! what? i am officially 2 years and a couple of months behind you people.....sheesh and i though i was getting good....

smile

have to admit its been fun getting here....

Daxxiferalmember
13 posts

Posted:
I started with pi,and I just recently switched over to staff for the spring. poi are a great deal of fun, play with a set on fire.. doing helixes around your head, wraps, and stuff like that. that is whee the fun lies. you can do so many things with poi that you can't do with a staff, like a 5-8 beat weave..... wrap flames into your palms, and stuff. I personally am working heavily with double poi right now, and the amount of will you have to pour into your hands to do the simplest maneuvers is tiring. if you are a staff man, then try one handed poi... put one handle on your index and middle finger, and te oter on your ring and pinky finger, and then start practicing with the same motion you would do a crossover and a palm spin.. you can do some crazy things, man!

good. now do a butterfly under your ass.

fuck.
dude, i was joking.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
3.14159265??

woudnt it be more like a meteor?...theres all gaps between the bits...or would that make them juggling balls?

umm