Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Shoulder Wrap With 1m Staff?

Login/Join to Participate

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I just started getting a shoulder wrap with my long staff (5'8 long) Im not that good at it yet cause I get very little practice. Anyways, I was wondering if there is any way of doing it with my meter staffs? It doesnt seem long enough, but maybe someone has figured out a way to pull it off?Also, same basic question.. is there a way to do the shoulder wrap so that when I wrap my long staff I dont end up so far down the staff?------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You can defintely do most types of wraps with the shorter staffs.Downside is, its MUCH MUCH MUCH harder, you're far more likely to burn yourself and the missing weight makes it hard to feel if you are in control or not and when it's going off somewhere else (aaarrrrrrrrggggghhh) on it's own.A tip I would suggest is instead of using th e momentum of the staff to roll it around, as you would with larger heavier staffs, try pushing the little guy with your shoulder.This is much more like a devil stick move where the momemtum is maintained by 'chasing' one point of the stick with another contact point and is the only way I know of easily maintaining wraps and other moves with lightweight staves...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
are you talking about a shoulder wrap as basically where you stick the staff (leading tip first) down behind your shoulder (a bit like a back scratching position) and then grab it under your arm pit with the free hand? Looks a bit like a Nunchaku move? Anyhow - if this is your shoulder wrap, you will have a lot more luck if you start dropping the stave and catching it in the middle, rather than trying to wrap your arms around each other in an attempt to get a centred release and catch.If this is not the move you are doing, please clarify and i'll try to help you more smileOther than that, I agree with the points Charles raised...although I think its neccessary to learn wraps/catches/stalls etc with short ones, cuz it allows you to do more with your doubles (unless you like doing double longies!).Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is that a shoulder wrap Joshy? In that case I've been trying to do that with doubles lately.Not a serious move, mark you. Just to see if it's possible.Not quite quick enough yet. Give it time though.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've got a reverse of that nunchuck move Josh is talking about. Freaking pain in my ass, that one is, but looks lovely.Anyhoo Spongie, if your talking about the Bruce Lee style shoulder pass where the staff is vertical it should be no problem at all with a meter long staff, just'll take a little practice. If, however, you're talking about a wrap with the staff horizontal going all the way around your shoulders then good luck my friend. I think you might have better luck with a toss of some sort. Hope you get it to work.

Jesus helps me trick people.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
hmm.. nope thats not what I meant.. I meant for you to go and swing into your armpit and have it go over your shoulder blade and then over your shoulder where you grab it with the same hand. (so you can do it with doubles) So kinda the reverse of the nunchuk thing------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I don't know about a short staff. I do it with a six foot staff (I'm American so I have no idea what that is in metric) and it takes a lot of momentum to pull it off and have it look good. I'm shure you CAN do it with with a short staff I just don't know how good it will look. Maybe if you hit the balance point of the staff just right on your shoulder. tricky tricky. I'll go play with it some and let you know now that I know what you're talking aboot.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Sorry to say. I tried and tried, but try as I might all I ended up doing was smacking myself in the shoulder. I even tried holding the wick, but all to no avail. So unless some one more skilled than I with the short staff has an idea, the wrap is out. You can, however, do a behind the shoulder pass that would look cool if you can keep the flow of the staff going. Or ou might be able to swing it behind you and throw it over your shoulder and catch it in front of you. I think I saw somthing like that in a Jackie Chan movie once. Hope it helps.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
"swing it behind you and throw it over your shoulder and catch it in front of you" I can do that. Hold the staff at the three quarter point, with the longer part -thumb/leading end vertical (this is making no sense is it?)Let the leading end move forwards, down and across your body and bring it up flat against your shoulder blade. Flick your hand sharply upward and release staff. It sails over your shoulder. You catch it it in the same hand in front of you and it flows smoothly into what ever move you wish it to. grin grin grinDoes that make any sense? No? Well if you're ever in the neighbourhood I'll show you what I mean.I do a reverse of it too but it's an other hand BTB catch and it looks a lot easier than it actually is.

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Makes sense, sounds cool Cantus...Ooowww.. Just popped my hip.. stupid crappy falling apart chair. That felt very uncomfortably like a groin pull.. ugh.Anyways.. back on topic. smileSo, just throw it over the shoulder?I have been trying to do a throw going backwards, but it always hits me if I try to spin it. Unless I pull way to the side, and then come back and grab it.. which wont work if I ever get to doubles. Anyone got a suggestion? (though I will try that over the shoulder that we were just talkin about)------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sponge, you know when you throw a tennis ball over your shoulder and catch it behind you? Do that, but with a staff. Just toss it thumb end first over your shoulder. Have your other hand flat against your back, midpoint of your spine (where it's comfy). Hand open ready - like you're holding a coke can - with practice the staff just drops into place and you can do it real casual. It's cool to do it and watch expressions on faces. Just toss it over your shoulder as nonchalently as you can, catch it and go on spinning. ~Keep it to yourself though. That's one of my secrets. I hardly ever teach people that one. It's one of my "piss off the cocky bastard, holier than thou staff god types" moves.Don't tell anyone - our secret, ok?

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
That isn't really a wrap now is it, cantus?More of a toss, yeah?

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i had no idea what anyone in this thread was talking about until i went outside with my staff. thank you so much y'all for a new move to my repetoir. what i do is bring leading end of staff up toward me as if im gunna whack myself in the head but miss and bring it above my shoulder and now pointing leading end down behind me. then i let go and drop it to my side where i catch it like im drawing my gun in some western movie.maybe some already said that. oh well.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You started it my dear fellow. You mentioned a throw from a Jackie Chan film.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah Phuzzz that's kinda what I was saying.... thanks for not reading.... tongue

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Man, you ask one thing about a single shoulder move and everyone jumps in with other shoulder moves eh?sheesh.. lol------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
well soooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrry!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ive been doing it for ages, all on my own.Naa naa winknix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You'll go blind you know if you abuse yourself like that Nix...

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I was told about this move (doubles version) by DangerBoy on the weekend...we both tried it and seemed to have the same problem; Its really hard to avoid hitting yourself in the back of the head when attempting this move with two staves simultaneously.dunno why...I can get it no probs with a single staff..so its not the length...I'm going to work on it tho, becuase it would give me entry to double elbow grip moves - something I've been looking for for ages smileahh I'll get there smilesoo much to learn.I must say - it was certainly a pleasure spinning with Flash, Frenzie, DB, Bobrob, Heather Feather and a bunch of other skilled non-HOP twirlers on the weekend...I learned a *lot*Josh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Well at least I always get some laughs if not always good help. wink ------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What wasn't helpful? Obviously there was Puppy's tossing and Nix's claims of years of self abuse but the rest of it was helpful.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 21 December 2001).]

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
LOL Cantus thats exactly what I was talking about.. LOL. Yes the rest was pretty helpful. Sorry I didnt mean to apply that it all wasnt helpful.. just that day I only saw their posts.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Heard of wink?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
It is around about 180cm.Jackie Chan is king.I need a bigger garden. I keep getting 'told off' for all the broken pots and plants. Damn pokey hole.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is there not a park/peice of waste ground/field in this undisclosed small town somewhere north of London Grynygogg?And Nix, say what? confused------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
This small, undisclosed town, just north of london is a bit inbred and narrowminded and I'd probably be lynched and burnt as a wizardy witchy thing.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lynched and burnt? shocked Posh then is it?I'd best hold my tongue lest the Witchsmeller Pursuivant hears me then......

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Ahh, I do miss England. winkOn the subject of shoulder wraps, I've just gotten down an almost perpetual shoulder wrap, and a shoulder wrap combination that I call "Chasing the Dragon" that really looks, well, the shit.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 06 January 2002).]

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
cantus- i'm trying to do double throws behind and over the shoulder but in split time so i can allow my body to turn ever so slightly in the direction of the catch. i found that while it is possible doing double throws together it usually hurts me more. singles this is my favourite move and to throw the staff under you arm, flicking it over your head and catching with your other hand.shoulder rolls with shorter sticks just take a little more practise. but they look damn good when you get them.

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?