Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > More Elbow grip shenanagans :)

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,well I've been practicing and practicing, and finally last night things were beginning to Gel...what I'm doing in the elbow grip is the same as the baton move 'Fishtail'.At the mo I can smoothly do RT Elbow wrap -> RT Elbow grip 1/2 fishtail to the left -> throw from elbow -> LT hand catch. (and opposite).I'm working on catching throws in elbow grip (I can do it occasionally) and continuous elbow fishtails.also - I've noticed that if instead of crossing the fishtail to the left (from right elbow grip) you lift your arm up and kinda point your hand directly behind you, the staff comes out in a perfect above head Heli palm spin position.Anyhow - I thought you guys might be interested.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I often feel alientated by posts on this board using language i can't understand and this is no exception.Fishtail?And keep it very simple as I didn't understand most of the other words you used either.

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
staff moves like a figure eight, but instead of holding it in your hand, you keep it balanced on the back of your wrist, and keep it centred by pushing it alternately with either side of your hand which is bent skyward as painfully as it goes...clear?Its one of the most difficult little tricks I ve ever had someone try to teach me. smileIts called a fishtail, because the neccessary motion of your hand to keep the baton moving looks like a fishes tail.Oh yeah, you have to have your arm totally straight going down towards the ground with your hand pointing (palm down) as far up to the sky as possible. If I haddnt seen it done, I would believe it to be possible...Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 29 November 2001).]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
please sir, could i have some more?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I hope I'm wrong, Bender, but I think Josh is out of circulation at the moment.

He went overseas (England??) a little while ago and was unsure how much time he would be able to spend on the net...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
as ever, thanks for the insight, Senore Inferno! i would been waiting a while!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
think I know what Josh is going on about in this, and indeed I've done this move successfully before, but it feels a bit awkward, and isn't that nice for tying into moves, a bit better to begin your spin with.

Does anyone else do one handed continuous circles just using their wrist? I can't say I've seen anyone do it before, and it's dead easy too. If anyone wants a better description of this please let me know!

And C@ntus is right, less jargon please! I'm tech illiterate and often confused by explanations, but love to hear of new moves.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i can kinda do the spin around teh wrist thing pyrophile, the problem i have with it is that teh staff tends to start creeping down, adn then it gets too off center and i have to do something else to fix it.

as to the fishtail thing... hmm.. shall haev to try it me thinks

(and not right now as my meds just proved to me i can't see properly!)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Kyrian,

When it starts to go off balance use a pinch between your thumb and index finger on the staff and then roll it back onto the wrist and continue.

At least that works for me,everyone's style is different, and isn't that the beauty of it all too?

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...