phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i have been working on two staff designs i would like to share with you. they both break apart during a show.the first breaks in two at the ballance point or center and re conects using the bit from either end of my old garden hose... going along with my staff and then whowa! shockedi've got what apears to be poi... but then i throw in a series of moves based on philipino stick fighting then i have my staff again...my other staff idea is cut lengthwise so i havetwofull length staffs that are akward to use but now i put two peices of magnet tape used for freezers i think so thAT: i have one staff then double then single again like that dangerboy kid's videonewayz.... i'd like to hear any oth idead about two peice, 3peice, 18 peice what everr and different moves using multiple staffstwists turns, and multiple burns"you better wet that hair fuz!" "yeah i guess so...eh?" -phuzzz

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I've got this unfinished idea for a 3 peice staff/staves. Pretty much just 3 short staves that would in some way click together to form a cross then form a star. And when they are all apart you could maybe juggle them above your head if stave juggling is even possiable. Any idea's on how to make such a connector?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
You could always try to work something out with magnets, like phuzz said. If ou have any old and dead hard drives you can scab c oube of big magnets outta those.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I started designing a staff a while back that had a spring mechanism at the midpoint that, when activated, turn the single staff into a cross formation.I had loads of work on at the time and I forgot about it until the other day.I think i'll search out the drawings for that.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Well I dont know how you could manage three, but four could definitely be a possibility.. just take phuzzz's ideas and stick them both together... That way they seperate to become two in the middle using the hose thingy, then both can seperate with magnets.. and presto allesto, you got 4 to do whatever you wish with..... Hey.. you can always stick one in the ground in front of you for effect. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Oh and BTW that means you have four sticks, rather than staves, which you CAN juggle. winkThat is if you can juggle.. I cant.. lol

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i found this weird old lamp at a secondhand store that screws apart into 12 different peices... heh heh ... my brand new adjustable length, spinning staff has three different wicks per side, one for fire one for glow sticks and one for peices of cut up sheet(my own comets). lots of possibilities... fuzzie wuzzie wuz ahyouknowtherest.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
As cool as that sounds.. whats the use of it?and what could you do with 12 staves.. unless your some amazing prostar juggler.. smileWOuldnt that also be a little thick? lolThe glow stick and the flag at the same time could look really cool if done right...How do flags look on the staves? I was thinking of doing that myself for indoors.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
it means i can split my staff into 12 itty bitty peices an shove it in my pocket.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I want to see pictures of this staff of yours.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The woolis over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'd love to find a strong, thin breakdown staff so that transport can be easier...The two pieces I've seen and used are far too weak in the centre, the three pieces and ones that are adjustable like hospital crutches are too wide in the centre and seem easy to break when dropped.Can some technical engineering genius please please please design a super strong breakdown staff for me, I'm willing to pay up to $200 US (after I've tested it to my satisfaction)..I'd also love to see some photo's of this 12 piece thing, Phuzzzzzzzzz. With a few descriptions of how strong it is, and how even and how wide...etc etc etc------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
this dangerboy kid? kid?? hmmm, not sure how i feel about that. my inner child has no probems with it, but my 28 year old body has an issue or two.in that vid, al i'm doing is holding my double staves together and using them like a single. makes splitting them apart pretty easy, though they are heavy and when teh momentum gets going, can be hard to put together again fluidly.i've posted before about my fantasy of having a staff-like tool that could make a solid cross formation, then split apart into doubles. unfortunately i'm a lover, not an engineer. so yeah, the call goes out to any sturctural design geniuses with too much time on their hands. i;d be happy to test prototypes smile------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
charles-the 12 peice thing was EXTREMLY heavy. not practicle at all. now i lwft it in the snow/ rain and it rusted. you could probably go to a big plumming place and peice one together.Dangerboy- i was in the company of someone who claimed to know you and swore you were only 14 years old. i have since looked into hayo bola and realized who you are. i saw you spin lots in vic and i think in duncan too.earthribe gathering maybe??? any way i had no reason to disbelieve my friend as the point he made was that you were danger BOY not man or person or adult tee hee "dangeradult" just doesnt sound as nice

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks for this thread guys. I'm now practicing holding two staffs in one hand (i could do that already) and throwing them both spinning into the air to catch them again in each ahdna and go into doubles.it's easier than i thought, but just as dangerous as i thought when it doesn't work.And now my staffs are getting even more bent than usual grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Charles: I have a couple of all-metal designs I'd like you to consider. The first one is a five piece design: https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/staff5piece.jpgWicking
part is 11 in./29 cm. Second part with red secondary grips is 17 in./43 cm. Middle part is 8 in./21 cm. https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/staff5piece2.jpgAll
locked up it is 4'2"/128 cm. or 4'7"/140 cm. It flies like a bird. It flexes a little and rattles some, too. An optional middle section makes it a full-length staff. In addition to being able to put it in your pack, you can dip both ends at once (no running down the shaft). I like to do a staff set and then hold it over my hand at the center, scream at the top of my lungs and snap the two halves apart. Flip into the up position--move on to escrima...Design number two: galvinized steel! Thick 1"/2 cm. diameter tubing.https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/staff4piece.jpgAll locked-up: 173 cm./5'8". Comes with optional middle section for a super-strong fat lightweight firestick. Middle shaft is 128 cm. I prefer the thinner style because I have small hands and I like to do finger twirls.The sections all lock up with brass pins. Hospitals trust elderly patients to them. I have never had one fail on me.https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/staffcu.jpgAddress?Maximushttps://www.deadflesh.org/fear/buyfiretoys.html

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I know this is a bit of a tall order, but will they put up with a spinning drop on concrete from 10 metres (30 odd feet)?My biggest problem with breakdowns is that when they break or bend, it tends to render the staff useless instantly, whereas with most one-pieces, i can just bend them bak into at leats a useable state (althoughtstillbent).And the other issue is they tend to cost a lot more. This means I would prefer to spend less money on the one-pieces if the replacement rate is still the same.(Gee picky aint I)I know i'm asking a lot, but there's nothing worse during a performance than unintentionally breaking a piece of equipment in front of the crowd...They do look good though...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Stilts, eh? Or a super tall unicycle?That's a tall order...I have bent the 5-piece staff doing stage combat, so I don't think it would take a good crack like that.The 20mm galvinized steel one ought to take a few drops like that, although I'm not going to throw it off my neighbor's balconey to try it. It doesn't connect in the middle like you want, but I could make one that does with a super strong quick release sleeve. I'll put my elves to work on it, and on a breakdown cross.Maximus

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Innercore!The Final Word on multi-piece staffs.Man i don't even BOTHER with other staff designs.What can i say, moulded rubber grip, anodised aeronautical aluminium parts, rubber separators, fibreglass internal reiforcement.The biggest prob i find with other multi-pieces is that if they're not professionally done, and i mean EXACT dimensions, then they wobble and act all fuct up if/when they land on the ground. then they're not the same. The Innercore staff screws on for like a million revs so it's secure as. Then the extended fibreglass inner retains the stiffness. It allows ya to walk through a bush rave with a tiny bag with some fuel.Nothing comes close! I find that for my speed, they are the BEST weight to throw. Weight distribution allows extended palming opportunities. Most are available from 12.4m to 4 parsecs, with cotton/kevlar wicks screwed on with washers to most reasonable lengths! And they customise it in a workshop in Melbourne!!https://www.concentrate.com.au/pages/products.htmlThey're such nice people - they teach professionally and don't rip people off! (so many do)they can be ordered internationally fromhttps://www.juggleart.com/welcome.shtmlMe likes 'em alot.------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy[This message has been edited by Bender_the_Offender (edited 06 February 2002).]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Somewhat similar to Maximus' staff design, I wonder how something constructed like a blind stick would work. These are many-sectioned canes. Each section has an inner sleeve that overlaps with the next. The whole thing is held together by an elastic cord running down the middle, so it pulls apart and folds up easily. An advantage for staffing is that there's no external hardware in the grip region.I can imagine lots of issues getting something like this to work, and it might just not work at all. It's an idea.I recently made up a wooden staff, and I like it *much* better than metal staves. I've been thinking about how to make a take-apart wooden staff. It ain't trivial. I'm pretty sure I'd need a wood lathe to make something I'd be satisfied with, plus some other specialized tools.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy