flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Wondering if anyone has a double staff throw move or 2 they'd like to share. I've got the "hold together as one staff then throw and majikally two staff appear" down pat and am working on a basic straight vertical swap, but would love some further inspiration...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i cant take credit 4 this, ive only heard about it.an idea is to throw both of them up in the air, and to cross over (dont know how they dont hit) and to catch the staff in the oppisite hand that it was thrown from. it sounds funky, put to actualy see it be done would be awsome, it was passed to me through words of mouth so i cant confirm it being done.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
That's what i meant by a "straight vertical swap" (told you I was bad at giving moves names!), unless you mean that the staves twirl mid-air??my straight vertical swap: hold each staff vertically in either hand a little wider than shoulder width apart. throw upwards and across, kinda in an arch, catch in opposite hand. To stop them hitting, start move with one hand slightly forward.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
BUGGERsorry flash fire

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
ok, did a qucik bit of thinking for once.i have a new idea, its just an idea though.i have managed to roll a single staff down the arm behind the back etc, but if u were able to roll a staff down the left arm, and reach across with the right arm to pick it up.if u then can do it with both at once but u'll have sycronise them so there both in a position to grab with each hand (round the shoulder region).its just an idea though, if u pull it off it will look awsome.[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 15 February 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
depending on how thick your staff are: I used to hold both together in a cross in one hand, and twirl them slowly. (Had to go slow or I'd drop one). I thought it was pretty cool. Would have been even cooler to have them attached to each other like that, with some kind of quick clip. Then you could throw them like that as well.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Flash smileAre you talking about moves where both Staves are released at the same time?Cuz as I see it, there are only a relatively small number of things you can do...however;have you tried throwing them both up out of your hands for a single loop, and then swapping your body over, and catching them in the opposite hands? It would probly work best if they were turning in opposite directions.I cant do this trick at all mind you - but I have an imagination...and I'm intending to learn double short staves soon...Josh

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
last time i checked, most people juggle with three wink-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Just bringing this thread back to the top to see what new stuff people had come up with since it was started a very long time ago!!!I myself am only learning double staff and dont have any fancy aerial to show just yet.... but hopefully soon!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hey Flash, you might want to move this to the moves forum cause its a real old thread!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
good plan stan.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
ooh...double staff tosses.. scary shit..I pulled off a double 360 helicopter spin once with two 4 foot staffs..I also dropped them about 400 times learning it, and I've never been able to do it again..tough stuff..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yippee, something I can actually do as well as explain! (Josh pulled me up in the Cartwheel section a while ago.The only double staff throw I can do at the moment is very very simple but looks very effective.I hold both staffs in the middle ( my 1.4 metre ones) under my armpits gripping just up from the centre.Pointing them at the ground (for a VERY short space of time i.e burns) I then spin then backwards (pinkyfirst) in two complete spins and then where I would normally roll them over the back of my hands, I throw them into the air for a 1/2 or 1 1/2 spin. Catch them, and tuck them back under my arms...As far as fluidity goes, its not bad, but is defintely a standalone trick, very hard to put into a routine.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Last night I've seen another kind of double staff aerial performed in a festival here in Israel. The guy who did it did standard figure eights with both double staves, then threw one of them into the air, and while it was spinning, crossed the other one behind the back. When he finished passing the staff he didn't throw behind his back, he caught the staff he threw in his now free hand.Hope I made some sense smile

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
you know single hand two ball juggling? try with staffs smile

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I've tried that.. it's tough..I've tried three.. it's even tougher.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Already attempted, Blackbird. grin grinThe whole technique is quite different though.With balls, you can do columns where each ball goes up and down without crossing, or a clockwise circle / anticlockwise circle(there are other variations but these are the simplest and most common).Columns... O O ^ ^ ^ ^ RH RHor circles... Diagrams below RH is the righthand. O . . . . . . O RHWith staffs these patterns need to be fairly high or 'lazy' throws to stop them hitting each other. I've tried both spinning and non-spinning and had limited success with columns and lots of disasters with circles.The worst thing about my approach is that is doesn't look anything like firedancing, just looks like an unco-ordinated juggler trying to juggle with something too hard for him (or me at least). blushBut that idea from Israel sounds great, not too difficult but pretty impressive!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 21 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
well, the thing is, dont do it like you would do balls, you'd do in in the z plane, i.e. throw it up forward, and catch it "back" (closer to your body), rather than the x plane as then they would hit each other. this way you could do the circles thing.oh, and try doing the contact juggling butterfly (as opposed to the poi butterfly) with a staff above your head, poiting fwd-backward. looks cool if you get it smooth.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I have a sort of an aerial move, except only one goes in the air :-)I might have described this before, I don't remember. I do this with staffs 1m long, it's probably not safe with ones much smaller than that. Hold both staffs together in your hands, arms outstretched, palms up. Now hold on to one and roll the other one up your arms and lock it under your chin. Raise your arms as high as you can without choking yourself, and throw the staff you're still holding high in the air. Now grab the staff under your neck with one hand and catch the rapidly descending staff with the other one and try to get it to flow naturally back into spinning. That's about the extent of my aerial moves with doubles, I suck at them! You could spice it up by kneeling or sitting or something, or find somewhere else to put the staff that doesn't get thrown. Like, you can do a forward roll and have the staff caught in the bend by your belly button (assuming you're not excessively skinny), then catch the other one as you come out of the roll. hope this helpsxaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I've got two long practice staffs now and have been experimenting with different ways of throwing doubles...most of it is just plain scarey! Probably the STUPIDEST one so far is to hold them both pointing forwards, throw them up spinning parallel to each other (in theory), do a 180 degree piroutte and catch them again facing the other way.Havent been able to catch more than one of them, and have hit myself lots.Can quite easily throw one while doing figure eights, and then swap hands to catch the airborne one in the other hand.Another one is to do a butterfly type move (figure eights coming in at the same time) and let them both go for a spin or 1/2 spin before catching them again. This one seems to be easier for throwing both, as you can actually see the staffs in front of you and can judge when to catch with each hand.I'll keep working on it, my double staff has suddenly got quite good since I've ben practicing more (funny that grin)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
One I have seen done, and have almost got myself - is while doing double figure eights in opposite directions, throwing one, pass the other over the top of the head, catch the other and keep going.I've almost got this one, and this dude named Dan that I always see at Rainbow Serpent Festival has it down pat...Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yahooooo!I did a double staff throw at Victoria Park Firenight last night, with fire!(prances around like a billy goat on speed)I tried like a dozen times and actually pulled it off twice! grinJust doing a basic FIGURE 8 where I throw one as it scoops up in front of me and then throw the other when it does the same thing, then catch the first then ctach the second.There were several times where the throws were shockers and I had to run away to avoid getting fire-slapped...but I think I should be able ot work it into a performance with a bit more practice.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I do a double throw/catch thing that comes out of the back end of a reverse figure 8 at the sides of my body. Basically i end the figure 8's so that the leading ends of my staffs are pointing towards the sky at about 45degrees. And I let the momentum of the spin carry the both out of my hands and (as longs as one is slightly in front of the other -practice, practice, practice) they glide passed one another and into their respective hands. Allowing me to carry the movement on into normal forward figure8's.Does that make any sense to anyone? confused------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yo, been doing double staffs for a few days and as I like the trows with a single Ive been experimenting. with one staff you can figure8 round the body, pass behind, figure eight to the front and throw then catch, fairly standard? With two you start wit both ends pointing at the ground but one behind your body and one in front. spin them in thier figure eights and as the rear staff comes forward throw it high and for 360degrees, meanwhile the other hand has come round the back and you will have a space to transfer to the throwing hand and then catch the other staff. the process can be repeated, in a continous paralell circle or transitioned into some side on reverse shinobi stuff.This trick cost me a nasty cut to the mouth but it was worth it.back to the homework....XXY?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
one more thing, when doing the trick above the trowing hand should be doing backwards figure8's (pinky first) and the catching hand going forwards.incedentally I discovered today that you can turn from that situation by 90degrees and go into fingerspins and back. just a thought...YXY?