Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Helicopter staff moves (horizontal spins)...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I've finally admitted a big gap in my repoitre which is that of using HELICOPTER spins more often. Normally, I need to be thinking about HELICOPTERS to put them into a routine, as when on autopilot, I regress back to ROTORS (vertical spins) and find it hard to break out of them again.I have a couple of helicopter moves, one is like the CORKSCREW. By HELICOPTERING above my head, then bring it down in front of me and lift up over my head again. I exaggerate how dangerous it is by pulling my abs in (well, stomach really) and jumping backwards when it spins in front of me. Tends to get a few gasps and murmurs from the crowd, coz they think I almost burnt myself (hee hee). Been working on the HEADSPIN for a long time now and can still only do three spins max, one on average.Does anyone have any HELICOPTER moves they would like to share, or hints on learning new ones (especially headspins)? smile grin wink blush------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Het Cantus...why must you so simplify my convoluted explination like that? You know how long it takes me to write stupid, confusing explinations like that one?! arg. hehe...I'm such a moron.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If it makes you feel better it took me ages to write that simplication.I spent a very long time giggling.... tongue grin------------------C@ntusDance beneath the stars, we sound system, we the collective, with a open heart, we the solution - should be respected!

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
cantus, no trouble at all, as you will have noticed its sunday afternoon, and its bloody well raining here in, so I cant move my stick and I'm left here all electronic and a bit bored.here's a present, I've drawn you some pictures of my staffs. [=]----====----[=] [=]-----=====-----[=] ----=====================thats years of art college training went into them there.g

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Yep Kyle...you were definitely right.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not wishing to seem overly paranoid here, Hitokage, but what was Whiffle_squeak "definitely right" about?------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Cantus, i told hitokage that you were correct with your simplification of his 00ber explaination, and that you were in a way mocking him while doing so, and i beleive the giggling comment finally clarified that for him...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not so much a mock. More a helpful nudge in the right direction. winkJust trying to point out (maybe not too well all things considered) that it had already been covered higher up the thread.I wouldn't mock Hitokage. I don't know him well enough. I might tease slightly. But mocking is a cruel thing to do.I save my mocking for the likes of Charles and Pozee grin tongueHitokage did state that it was a horizontal pinwheel tho. Which is a nice observation grin------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok, so, this thread is full of interesting and great ideas...

but how do you work the helicopter throw?

i mean, i cna sort of do it, but it doesn't go very far... not a throw like flahsy, it just sort of leaves my hands and returns again...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
when yer helecoptering in one hand going under the arm and above the head, as its comming up from under your arm throw it backhand. Gets really good elevation. If you staff is to long to go horisontal under the arm then pass btb with the left and thro backhand immeadiatmont.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
hey... i told you that Thomas

helicopter double staff contact stuff now....
both spinning(ermm.... )anticlockwise, put the right hand one on your left shoulder, let it roll under your arm and accross the back, bring your right hand back round to meet it about half way accross your back(beautiful move on its own....) during all this your left hand is doing a 'heliBTBpass->heliBTHpass move'(see earlier in thread. when you have the first staff in your right hand, pass the second one into it also and you come out with the smoothest cross ever.....

brain replacement...anyone?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah I get ya, I think, the left staff goes onna right shoulder and spins onna back while the right staff is helle passed to the left, catch the contacting staff with the right and pass the left to it inna a cross.

Dat what your onnabout? (you jammy ****)

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Do you want to throw that sucker really high?
Instead of trying to bounce it it up from the overhead position like a vollyball, cock it up properly--down and behind the back. Hold it right hand down, left arm out for balance, bend knees.
The right arm position is like you are in a boat holding the rudder.
Here's a photo:
https://www.fireplay.org/02-13/02-13phil001.jpg
Then whip it around in front and up. Give it a nice wrist snap as it leaves your hand. Keep your eyes on the grip.
The flame trails draw a double helix in the air. One of my favorite throws.

Maximus

[ 12 June 2002, 07:44: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
(repeat post)

[ 12 June 2002, 14:11: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Page: