Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > STAFF - something funky to do after a neck catch

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Okay, this trick is going to be impossible to describe, but I'll give it a go. basically you start with a neck catch, then let it slip so that your head's bent over sideways and the staff is wedged between your neck and right shoulder (if you're a righty like me). A bit more of your staff should be in front of you than behind you. Now the tricky bit. Twist your full body a litle bit back and to the right (like you're leaning back from something gross). The staff should twist a bit so that it's kinda laying diagonally across your body. The bit that was in front still in front, but is now sticking out up and to the right (closer to being parallel with your body) and the bit that was behind is still behind you, but is pointing down and to the left, across your back. All this happens very quickly, it's like coiling a spring to get momentum and energy for what you're going to do next.Now......from this leaning back-and-to-the-right position, push the staff forward and to the left with the front part of your right shoulder, and loosen your neck-grip on it, so that it moves horizonally across your neck, and you can then catch it between your left neck and shoulder, in the mirror image of the place you started. Cool.Now the even cooler bit....once you can do this, instead of catching the staff in the left shouder, you can let it keep rotating. it rotates around, over your shoulder, does a couple of spins on your back, and then you can catch it again with your right hand. I'd really love to send in a video, but I didn't work this out until after I'd filmed my comp entry.....I don't have access to a camera any more :-( Anyway, hope somebody else can figure this out :-)x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh. I'm getting up extra early to try this out tomorrow. Sounds good. I've been working on a kind of contact juggling thing with my staff lately and this would make a good exit for that if i can pull it off. Thanx for the idea grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Please X, describe how to do teh neck catch?I do something similar to the thing you describe; shoulder-chin catch -> around back of neck to opp. shoulder-chin catch, reverse and back around back of neck to hand.but this catching a throw on your shoulder sounds kinda tricky.Also - for interests sake, Ive been doing staff twirling with the staff wedged in my elbow joint. it really kinda rocks to do the chin reversal thing, followed by a bit with elbow stuff funky smileJosh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Do we need to drag out Charles' Naming staff moves thread? Things are getting confused again...------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yep, drag it up again, sorry I haven't been pushing it lately, but doing a lot of performing and not getting online as much as i should.BTW, my NECKGRAB ends in a roll down my arm, i aise my arm up and finish off the whole move with a palmspin. i think it's cool, but I'd love to learn continuous around the neck...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I tried it tonight but couldn't get it to work. I'll have a go again in a bit...------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just added this to the thread as requested by Cantus..."That being said, Xaeda posted a thread called "STAFF - something funky to do after a neck catch " which was difficult to understand because of the nature of staff, not Xaeda's excellent explanation.If I can ask Xaeda if I have this right...You start off with a right-shoulder NECKPINCH, then do a LEFT TWIST and roll the shoulder upwards to make the staff point up across your body and down behind your back. You also lean backwards slightly at the waist.Then, using the right shoulder, you PUSH the staff hard enough to do a NECKWRAP, and finish with a left shoulder NECKPINCH.Or alternatively, you can let the neckwrap continue into a LEFT SHOULDER ROLL, a BACKROLL or two, a RIGHT SHOULDER ROLL and then a RIGHT HAND CATCH.Does this sound right Xaeda?"You may need to refer to the staff moves thread to undertand my understanding of your explanation, Xaeda ------Also, when are you coming up to Auckland to show me this this (which is a cool extension of the neck catch thing i showed you a while ago, maybe...)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
;-)heh, I think that's probably about right. Except, um, I twist back and to the right.....why do you call it a 'left twist'? wink Um, hmm. Yeah, it starts in exactly the same position as your neck-catch-arm-roll thing.....in fact I was messing round with doing your neckcatch move from a kickup when I worked this one out. And your don't really roll your shoulder up.....it sorta goes backwards.....like kids do when their teachers say 'sit up straight' winkThe staff makes a kind of diagonal line across the front of the shoulder......if you think of the shoulder as a corner, this line would be like cutting the corner off. Also I don't really end with a right shoulder roll......I wish I could though! I just catch it with my right hand somewhere behind my back. I'm really pretty skeptical about taking this naming thing too far, eh. I can understand that it's important for things like planes, directions, and specific types of catches, but after that......I think it's best just to give as good an explanation as possible and then clarify it if people ask. Anyways.Josh - if you can find a description of Charles' neck-catch-roll-down-the-arm' move, that's basically how I start. I usually do a straight neck catch (landing on the back of the neck like you'd do in hacky), then tilt my head and the staff just slips over to the side. Charles can probably explain it better, it's his move :-PI've been doing some elbow stuff too.....it's amazing how long I can keep it going without using my hands! My OOS (hand problem) is creeping back now, so I've been trying to avoid using them too much.....heh, elbows are the answer ;-) You can get to the move I just described from doing the elbow thing, although I don't have it very clear yet.Charles - I probably won't be in Auckland for a while, but YOU should come to the juggling festival! It's going to be gooood. Paekakariki again, Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th (last time lots of people stayed an extra day, though). I'll probably teach some staff workshops, and you should too. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people I taught last time.....crazy redhead Peter went from being a beginner to being as good as/better than me within 2 hours! So I'm expecting some kickass moves from him since he's had a whole year to practise ;-) x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My God Charles....ITS WORKING!!!I Understood what you said! That *is* the move I thought it was...but now I'm sure.I'm still not sure what a neck catch is or does neck catch = shoulder/neck pinch?I always envisioned a rotor throw being caught no hands on the shoulder into shoulder roll = neck catch?JoshJosh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok - now I get it.Hacky smile so the staff isnt spinning at all when you throw/catch. you just do that scoopy duck thing and let it land on your neck. right ok. gotcha smilethe one I do is a variation on that. Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I saw a gril do this with a baton, continuously, until people got board with it. It was amazing! I think that it is harder with staves because they are bigger and weightier.I have a half rotation down beginning from back to left to front, but getting it around to the right is a pain for me. I ended up doing a duck under the staff and let it roll down my right arm. Still...I will get it. Thanks for breaking it down for me. After seeing the batonist I was feeling inspired, confused and down hearted about it. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yay, ITS ALIVE (hahaha hahahahaaar!)Well, its working for one person so far.Cheers Josh, its nice to get some encouragement. And oops, hadn't picked up on the NECK CATCH, SHOULDER PINCH thing. Xaeda, is the neck catch a pinch between neck and shoulder, or is it between the neck and back (like a juggling ball catch) or neck and chest etc??And, I will almost defintely absolutely maybe, without too many doubts get the Festival this year (haven't been ever yet due to different circumstances) if possible. What are the chances of another fireban? I'm not sure about teaching though, I'd rather learn myself for the first time visit...And I've also been asked to be part of the buskers festival in Waimate on the 3rd of February, are you or anyone else interested in going or already attending?I know what you mean about taking it too far, and agree and disagree on that point. I'm not trying to take over what people are saying with these defintions, but giving an aid to describing staff moves so more people can discuss them at length online. It's also providing an unexpected bonus of being a list of moves for others to look at and see things they haven't yet thought of.And when it was getting posts each day, there suddenly seemed to be heaps of technical staff threads starting up, meaning it was getting peoples interest to get voiced more often.The biggest problem now is that I haven't been adding to it as much as i should be to keep people reading it.You're welcome to disgree with me on all points, as I'm sure lots of others do, but apart from the few things i got wrong, my description took up a lot less space and helped one lucky person to get most of it.Can you please describe some of these ELBOW MOVES more? I'm intrigued... ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Charles, when I do the neck rotation, or rather attempt it, I pop the staff up and catch it at my neck and back so that it is across my shoulders. I suppose this is what I have seen jugglers do with balls, but since I am not a juggler I can not for certain agree, but I think it is.As for elbow moves, I too would like to hear more of these. I have one that is the result of an upper arm wrap and roll, but it requires a body turn to keep from hitting myself with my staff. Josh, do you move your body more than normal with the elbow moves to avoid being hit in the rotation?Thanks.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm a little confused by all this confusedWe need to get some illustrations of these things I think. Just some sketches'll do. You could put them in the staff lessons section maybe.....

Meh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Well, I was trying to teach myself how to use Freehand today, and well, you asked for pictures......hope this helps. I've only shown the first part of the move, you'll have to work the second part out yourself winkx
Non-Https Image Link

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Wonderful Xaeda. Just what i needed. BTW I inadvertantly left you out of my list of inspirations. Please pencil yourself in. Better still scrub out that cocky git Charles entirely and take his place. grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I bow to your artisitc inspiration but ::mubmling: fricken fracken racken rake..... I can get it all the way to where it goes across the front of my body and then when I go to pinch it between my shoulders on it's way to my back...it slips! AHHHHHHHH! frownThe still frustrated but loving the drawings.... wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's awesome, Xaeda! Way better than my stupid ASCII diagram in the first NAMING STAFF MOVES thread.I'm having the same trouble as Pele, although if I catch it earlier, I can flick it back and forwards between the left and right shoulders. Problme is, it keep shifting and looks really terrible and unco (uncoordinated for non-kiwis). I guess *SIGH* I'm just gonna have to practice.Cantus - I knew it wouldn't last for ever, I gracefully accept defeat and hand over the crown of Inspiration to Xaeda *bet it won;t fit, my head is way too big wink*Awesome drawings!!!!!!!!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Those pics are awesome - I totally get it now - although I'm no where close to actually being able to do it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That rocks X!The one I do is the same, cept it goes round the back of the neck...wish I could put them together, cuz then I could go round and round and round. smileJosh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
;-) I'm glad the drawings helped you out :-) I'm not really sure what the slippers among you can do.......I'll just say that it took me a *lot* of head wacking neck strangling practise ;-) Also experiment with the position of the first shoulder pinch, you need to have more staff in front than behind, this makes a big difference when it gets to the other shoulder. Happy playing :-)x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Awwww, sorry Charles. We can still be friends.
Non-Https Image Link
------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
----------------

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I did it!!!I got it!!!Yee-Haw!!!!Okay, well, I only did it twice and it wasn't continual but hot damn!!!!!I got the beck rolly thing!!!!!(Okay...so I am happy, sue me! All you'll really get is a used up staff and some really freaky other toys...oh yeah, and Whipping Boy! tongue)Hey maybe I am on a trend...Maybe I will get those other hard for me moves....::bouncing back to keep practicing other butt whomping moves::And congrats Xaeda on the comp. I knew you could do it!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 09 November 2001).]

Pele

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Got shown and cracked a varient of this today. Looks really nice and kung-foo stylee.start with a forward rotor (right) and put it under your left shoulder and let it roll over and NECKGRAB it. turn your body 180 (toward the staff for the back, away for the front) and release the staff which comes round the neck to the right side, Neckgrab breifly and bung your right hand over and down on the staff to recomence forward rotor.Its the head and arm movements that make this trick, and its easyer to get going than Zeadia's.Gotit backward, forward is the one tho...Love ya allNix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
hmm...better pull out the lightweight staff for this one...*shelves the steel staff*this is amazing...what kind of super-psycho-divine-inspiration led to this move?? *is in awe**runs into the woods to practice where nobody can see the source of later neck cramping* grin------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
This thread needs to resurface I think...------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah Nix!!!that is a F#@kin top move! smilewow...I hope I get to try it tonight...the weather is lookin very iffy...thoJosh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo joshyeah, shes a beute. better done with a nice long staff with fire, as the flames come a little close to the fro otherwise winkN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
This was thread I was meaning Nix? but i see you'vbe already been here.

Well at least i tried...

Meh

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
have to be able to see it to do it and believe it all at once.. sounds kewl though..
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

Page: