Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double staff starter, full trick list ect...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yo peeps,Well I finally got a name…I smacked myself in the wrist yesterday and although its nice out side I cant play :-) So, instead I thought id list all the staff moves I know for you. This should get the basics down and then the list can be added to as people develop more tricks. Cool?First of course is figure eights these can be done in sync (one hand making forward 8s whilst the other goes backward) and counter-flow (cant think of a good term) where both hands are doing the same thing either alternate sides of the body or together, like a butterfly.I cannot transition directly from sync to counter-flow but within those two categories there are a heap of stuff. Also, with both its very easy to pirouette and feels great!In sync:1 learn the extra half-twist on the forward figure8, then you can (with one stick) spin backwards from hand side to opposite back to hand and then behind you for 1.5 spins bringing back up to backwards and repeat. (if all else fails just move around with the stick for a while putting the half-twist in where you can)In sync time you can do this with both hands alternately, so that the sticks follow each other round the body, reverse and go back and can be turned into a pirouette too.2. Continuous aerials. The backward spinning staff is thrown whilst the forward is swapped behind the back and repeat. Easier than it sounds, a full description can be found on the ‘double staff aerials’ thread.3. windmills and corkscrews, round the world. All basically the same trick and all come from poi, there is a crazy double corkscrew post but I cant figure it out.In counter flow:Pirouettes: bit more scary in counter flow, staves recommended. Cant actually pirouette when the sticks are spinning on the same side of my body but you can turn butterflies cant you? so it must be possible I guess1: the half twist comes in useful here too, in counter flow, facing one way is always forwards and the other is backwards, and when facing forwards the twist can either be used alternatively, which feels great or to make a 3 beat butterfly, which is tiring. 2: the only aerials I have for counter flow is the straight vertical swap mentioned in the previous thread where backwards running staffs are passed in front of each other simultaneously to opposite hands. (this makes them transition to forward spinning staff btw)3: In Backwards Alternate counter-flow (humm, getting a terminology? Still don’t like counter-flow) you can horosontalize the staffs for a nice feeling cross corkscrew type thingTransitions!So, how do we get between all of these little trick and places. Obviously from forward to backward alternate is just a turn but what about from alternate to simultaneous? When going forwards alternate the trick is to slip a two finger spin into the action with one hand whilst the other moves normally. I think there are quicker or more complicated finger spins to do it but I aint worked them out yet (woulda but for this hand, humm) and anyway, finger spins are a whole other thing.From the top of a forward butterfly you can make half turn and arrive in sync, similarly you can do a half turn in sync and with a little angling be in backwards simultaneous counter-flow. This is made easier if you can finger spin, so I move on.Finger spins!Really really really useful to know with staffs as it can instantly double up almost all of your tricks. Especially to learn to go between forward and reverse finger spinning continuously (720 degrees on each side) I find it especially fun with the butterfly, reverse finger spinning in the butterfly and forward at the top, high in the air.The end! Thanks for reading it, sorry if its too long or garbled, ask for clarification if you want. The aim here is not to blow my own trumpet but learn more, so I you have anything to add, please do.Cya!Nix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*bump*

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(looks around for all of the things going "bump" can't see any...

It's not solid by any means, but I think I've finally got the technique for simultaneous palmspins with my 1.4 metre doubles.

To stop them either hitting each other or the lower one from hitting my arm, I have to do an 'egyptian' move, with my left arm poking out to my left and up (elb, with the upsidedown hand pointing right AND my right arm pointing to the right and up (elbow straight) also with the upsidedown palm pointing right.

***walk like an egyptian...***

This way there is just enough clearance for them to spin in the same plane without colliding. Only problem now is that my right arm is fully extended so if the spin travels to the right, it's almost impossible to correct it...

But I'm happy that at least there is one technique I know know of...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I been doin them too, feindishly difficult, my doubles are 120 so I can sorta spin them past my face (If I dont want any side burns, no pun intended).

Staff boards lightin up!

N

-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
so i had a question about this thing further up...

quote:
big circles in rvs cross flow (I know what you mean by that now) thats called a flourish in baton twirling. So really, that move is a double alternate direction rvs figure eight with flourish. I personally think it should have a combo name.
yeah that. erm, what are you going on about? anyone want to take a crack at explaining it to me?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Kinetic Flamemember
1 post

Posted:
Hi,

This is my first entry, so please be gentle with any constructively critical replies. I'm from perth and thus twirling over here is pretty isolated.

I sorta skimmed through the double staff moves because I don't understand the lingo so if I'm describing a move that has already been explained please forgive me...also, I appologise if my own use of descriptive lingo is a bit different than what you are used to.

feet placed on a 45 degree andgle (left foot forward) will make this easier. start by doing a forwards figure 8 with both staff in front of your body (sorta a like a two beat weave if done with poi) the hands need to be close together, the lead hand will always cross over the other on top. (for the sake of my description assume the lead hand is your right hand) when your right hand gets as far over to the left as it will go, throw the stick in the air. continue the figure 8 with your left hand. when your left hand's figure 8 gets as far over to the left as it will go, put your right hand behind your back and catch the stick that your right hand threw(i generally allow for a 540 degree spin before catching) you can then bring the your right hand into a reverse figure 8 on the opposite side of your body to the left hand's figure 8.

read thru that a couple of times before concluding it doe not make sense because I'm pretty sure it does.

a point of note to those learning to do crossover figure 8s with sticks moving in the same directon. with the forward figure 8 crossover the top hand always leads and with the reverse the bottom hand always leads.

have fun with the double staff throw.
if it is too hard all at once you may need to practice just doing the figure 8 with your right (or whichever)hand and the throw and subsequent catch with the same hand.

Kinetic

if the swallow flies south and the flies swallows north, who gets eaten?

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
do i have to send a video to join the exclusive dbl corkscrew club?

you know when you have a single staff, doing half a double corkscrew, and the staff is below your head/face? you can then throw it by pulling your palm towards your face at the right point in the circle so as not to catch it in the jaw. then you stand up from bent over and catch it above as for a helicopter catch.

any ideas how to translate this extremely cool looking move into double staves? preferably without reconstructive surgery...

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
yep, but be warned its not pretty when wrong....you can either do it by contacting one staff on your body giving your brain enough time to assume you are just spinning one staff... or just go for it and catch either in hands or on top of staff no 2 in a cross(my personal favourite....!)

got lots of new stuff from glasto but need a new brain to translate all to words,.....
Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hows the new brain going, Mineiro?

I'd love to figure out some of these moves but am having troubles translating...I know text isn't the best medium for this sort of thing although i think we can all figure it out a bit more...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
still no sign of it....
but mail order i hear they only take a week or two
but we get our camera soon(love to awards for all for hefty grant giving...) so vids on the way

brain replacement...anyone?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That would be cool, but it does get easier doing text-based directions the more you write text-based directions, so keep it coming please...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: