Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Naming Staff Moves II (Every staffer please help)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lets have some more discussions and suggestions moving along because I've been a bit slack getting online lately, mainly due to summer coming up and having lots more gigs (three seperate gigs just last week!).So I have been neglecting the staff moves project and I'd like some more input form everyone like last time...***Please note, this attempt to name moves is to help the articulation of text-based staff moves which is one of the reasons staff is having trouble getting discussed regularly on HoP.This is to (hopefully) start the building blocks of a common language to try to make staffing easier to learn and discuss in a textbased format.If you don't like the name of a move but understand what it is, please let it lie, otherwise this will just become a series of in-fights, and will not be constructive at all. Thanking you in advance... ***The following moves have been discussed and suggested on https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000322.html
with some history too. Please read through if you haven't already.----------Staff Movements----------------* HELICOPTER = A horizontal spin in the same space, usually above the head.* ROTOR = Any vertical spin that stays in one space. Same as HELICOPTER, but perpindicular to the ground.* 1/2SPIN = Where the staff has only spun 180, this is regardless of any other motions or actions.* FULLSPIN/DOUBLESPIN/TRIPLESPIN/ 1/4SPIN ETC= As above, 1 spin is a complete rotation and the rest as they apply.* FIGURE 8 = To do a 1/2SPIN on you left and right side with the path crossing directly in fron of you. A trail from the centre of the staff would make a sideways figure 8 wrapped around you.* SIDEWAYS FIGURE 8 = A FIGURE 8 where the 1/2SPINS are in front and behind you, instead of on either side.* POP = Simple flat throw into the air, horizontal without spinning unless otherwise stated.* OVERHEAD POP = Flat throw from the front and caught behind or from behind and caught in front.* CLOCKWISE = The spin of the staff in relation to the front of the staffer* ANTICLOCKWISE = Reverse of clockwise, or same direction but behind your back rather than in front.----------Manipulation Movements----------* FINGERSPIN = To roll the staff through your fingers one-by one, keeping the staff stationary and spinning in a ROTOR or HELICOPTER.*** please note, FINGERSPINS do not need to travel along all five fingers, but the end action where the staff wraps under or over the hand to begin the motion again is seen as the end, not the beginning**** PINKYSPIN = FINGERSPIN that begins with the pinky, and then to the ring finger, index finger and so on. * THUMBSPIN = Same as PINKYSPIN, but starting form the thumb and then traveling along the pointing finger, index finger and so on.* FORWARDS = To lead a movement or spin with the thumb on the leading part of the staff. As in slicing a sword down diagonally in front of you.* BACKWARDS = Same as FORWARDS, but with the pinky on the leading part of the staff.* FORWARDS FIGURE 8 = To lead with the thumb-half of the staff when doing a figure eight.* HANDWRAP = To release the staff while spinning it so that it rolls over or under your hand and then cathing it again. Often used during FINGERSPINS to keep the staff centred.* STALL = I'd like some more feedback on this, but would prefer a stall to be any move that stops the spin completely.* FOOTSTALL = Horizontal catch or movement with the staff stationary and horizontal on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat.* FOOTBALANCE = Balancing the staff on one end (preferably without fire) on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat* TOOTHGRAB = Any STALL or move where the staff is held by the mouth/teeth/TONGUE!!! etc. People like myself who experiment with moves like this should prepare themselves for ridicule...* TUCK = Like an underarm roll. To swing the staff under your armpit, either to catch it there or as part of another move.* PALMSPIN = To spin the staff in a flat palm, without using the fingers.* BACKSPIN = To spin the staff on the hollow of your back without using hands or arms.* "insert body part here"SPIN = To spin the staff on your "IBPH" without using hands or arms.-----------Body Movements------------------* 180 = Half-rotation of entire body (usually using feet)* 360 = Full-rotation of body * 45,90,270 = Well, you get the idea, aye?* LEFT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your left* RIGHT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your right* LEFT-TWIST[45][20][180!] etc = Swiveling the appropriate number of degrees, also includes RIGHT-TWISTS.***Any move calling for 180 or more should put an "!" after it, coz its very hard to do!***That's most of them so far, could a couple of peeps see if they can use the terms to describe some of the movies in the Video-Section.Cheers------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 08 October 2001).][This message has been edited by Charles (edited 09 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hi, sorry missed this thred for a while. Has there been any names set for the ends of the staffs? I like leading edge for the thumb end and knife edge for the pinky. Cheers cos I need this cleering up before I can post a naming question.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hi Tempest. Yeah go ahead. Just post. If folks don't understand something they'll ask you.

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I just started staffing a week ago, cause my youth group is starting to get into poi. I was like "You know what would be cool, a staff instead of the poi... then here I find that people are already doing it.. tres cool.... Anyways.. back on topic.. I was playing around with the Reverse Figure 8 and I was thinking it should be called DragonKiller, because it feels like you are spearing upwards when you do it.anyways.. thats my little two bits. smile------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Start off doing the reverse figure 8, as you lift the knife or stabbing end on the right side or maybe pinky is better, pirouette left through 180 and stab down the same end on the left. Push the front edge(now your leading edge) down to the right side and continue with the forwards figure 8. gotta go, more later.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Has anyone mentioned rotors with more than 2 beats? I can pull off a three and four beats forwads and revers and just started applying it to some doubles along with the little move mentioned above and it's really changed for the better....Managed in alternate and the same, I use three footers so I have just enough arm reach.Shit, why do my shoulders hurt so much?Also what do you call that little majorette move that looks like a figure 8 but each end stays on their respective side. Means you can get all sorts of rythems goin on, still can't get that three beat weave with staffs though.Over and out

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Stell cant blady spill though.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Not to sound stupid... just ignorant.. wink hehwhat's a beat?------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's a poi thing. They keep doing that. Using poi terms.I tried to get them to stop but they persist.I tried to get them to come up with new terms as staff is a completely different art. But they couldn't see the point i was trying to make.I thought staff couldn't develop if it was hanging on the shirt tails of poi. But no one else seemed to see it like that.~My bad, obviously.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 27 November 2001).]

Meh

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
It must be so hard for you Cantus, a staffer living in a poi world.
Non-Https Image Link
Tempest, I think the thumb side has already been named the front and the pinky the back.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey. You can lick your eyeball. Neat.I'm planning to rectify the non poi thing soon. But don't tell no one. It's a secret.I'm meant to be a staff purist. And some folks round these parts will mock me if I change now methinks.

Meh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
By the term 'beat' I simply mean how many times the leading edge of the staff passes a given point (thumb for forwards and pinky for backwards). For example if I was doing a basic figure eight forwards, the thumb leading edge would point down twice before returned to the point where i started, making this 2 beats.I hope this clears up any fuzzy areas GodLovingSponge ;D;D

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh.. (CLICK!!!)One 360 of staff = 1 beatIs that right? I've been trying to figure out how the hell people have been getting a 3 beat move coz I couldn't get three rotations on each side without a fingerspin.*hits head with hand*------------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hi Charles grinThere are several ways that I do a 3 beat with a staff.Hold the staff on your right with the thumb edge pointing up. Do the 2 beat (figure 8) to your right.When the leading (thumb) edge points down behind you keep it there untill it does again (one extra beat). Then bring the back edge down in front of you - keep spining and bring the front edge back up in front of you to your starting position. The key to this is keeping the front and back circles as parrallel as possible - you might need to twist your torsoa bit, oh yeah and try keeping it low with a straight arm and wrist close to your body.#2 Just the same as the poi, grin sorry Cantus grin if you continue for another beat on the other side, in this case the front. When the staff points down (your hand is on the outside or right of the staff and the back edge is just about to come to a stop against your inner forearm) twist to you right and bring the back edge down behind you and unravel. yeah 4 beats organic stylee! If I have one staff I tend to 'face' the move more (do it to my left and the right asopposed to front and back).This move really grooves if you do it with reverse rotors(sorry, I forgot that was the term) and keep it close to you on your right side and when you bring it back to the left turn your toso 90 degress before you scoop it back behind you in a very poi like manner indeed grin grin grin This has really freed up my doubles but I LOVE POI so tried doing one poi and one staff (just imagine the stupid amount of wraps availiable wink)This also allows you thinking space as you can keep the poi spinning at one point for as long as you like.Hope you can make sense of my yorkshirearian.It's all in the wrist baby wink TEMPEST

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Heh heh heh... oops.. one simple sentence and the whole subject gets changed.. sorry bout that.. smile *grin* heh------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I didn't realise this thread had been so long gone. Ok it's back at the top again now.....

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I haven't read through this thread in a while.I think naming the ends of the staff is a great idea, but front side back side, up, down, knife edge ext.? That's all a bit confusing isn't it? Espeacially for the bigginer who would probobly benifit the most from naming this stuff. Why not just call it "Thumb side" for the side that your thumb is on, and "Pinkie side" for the side that your pinkie is on. Or is that too simple for every one?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've just had an Idea. I was reading something Maximus posted today, and I had no freaking clue what he was on about. If we could devise a way to define the position of the staff at any givin part of a move.Perhaps some sort of a 3D grid, something that would look how a Rubix cube is put together, to define the location of the staff and then the plane the staff is spining on.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It has been suggested several times that it would be benificial for a beginner to tie a ribbon or similar to the thumb end of the staff to aid memory. This would then be the leading end. No good for me because I don't actually hold on to the staff enough for one end to lead but still a good idea for beginners....In Maximus' post the staff was in a horizontal position behind his shoulder. Further confusion could've been avoided by the simple inclusion of the words palm down. That's why i bumped this thread because we're being bogged down in a sea of confusing terminology once more.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yay it's back up again. This is exactly the sort of thing this thread and others is trying to help with.I know that its unrealistic and a little egalatarian to expect everyone on the site to just use the terms in this thread, but it will help to have people not using some terminology that is the same, but also thinking about how they say their moves.If it hasn't already, different threads for different issues like doubles moves and throws and stuff would be great, as long as people keep adding to the lists everynow and then so that others can find one post with the updated terms.If we have a few short lists it will help people to read the threads, and we all win...ok there's my little rant, i guess i should go work on a new list for this thread (instead of just talking about it). grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
while doing a side figure 8 with right hand lift left leg and put staff (thumb sidefirst) over around and under leg. let go of staff while bringing leg down and legs together and thenkick left foot up and back toward right side pocket where you can grab the staff with your right hand easily or left hand beautifully. dont know what youd call this in your new fangled terminolowhutzit... just needed a thread open to this instead of starting my own and getting confused replies asking why i didn't just post it here... rolleyes

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
great move (I think)!So basically you pass it from the side so that one end is at the back and at ground level and the other is in front and up at chest level and the staff is pinned at this level by your legs? then you release your handgrip, scissor your legs and the staff comes out the other side? Just tell me, what are the dimensions and weight of your staff? hmm interesting smileJosh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
the staff i did it with first was an inch thick and six feet long. too big i know. i then did it on my fire staff my practice staff my doubles ( alternating as this is a one handed move.) AW, whatever... i'll post a vid verry soon as i really think this one's worth sharing but i kant describe it for the lifeame... you'll see...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Um is this gonna be on the exam?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
oh no... exam????*quickly reads the WHOLE DANM THREAD then searches for "exam"*wait a sec no one said anyhing about an exam....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I prefer the term impromtu quiz. I don't want you to worry. It's more for me to assess your progress. It in no way effects your overall mark (By the way Mr Bendy has some rather dubious marks on his overalls).Anyway if you've all been doing your homework this test should be no problem....------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
ummm (looks nervous eyes the class room door....) can i go to the washroom mrs. teacher mam sir???(phuzzz leaves room)(phone rings)Hi this is my dad speaking, i wont be able to come to school today....as for bendy: vinegar will take care of those marks...

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Ok. New Term for a move that I excel at. Called a CRACK, And follows the name of a bodypart Ie. SHIN CRACK, ELBOW CRACK, FACE CRACK. I suppose that it is really a STALL as the staff stops damn quick and hurts lots, but I have no light in my tiny garden and seeing does help to some extent.I have been working on a BUTT CRACK with perhaps a PINCH in there too for good measure but it probably won't work.(That wasn't called for, was it?!?)Continuous FINGERROLL? I ROLL the staff through the fingers on the backside (more arse references? What is wrong with me?) of my hand, Thumb to Pinkie direction and then back again, Pinkie to Thumb on the palmside. Easier with Staves, due to the weight but it is certainly possible.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
If we invent a move, then surely we get to name it? We'd use the language of Staff to describe it but the actual move. Saying that, I bet there isn't much which hasn't already been done so what I have said is irrelevent. Combo moves!! That'd be more appropiate methinks.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Hi all only started staff twirling about a month ago but have a couple of moves of my own which aren't listed.1. Matrix: leaning back just like Keanu Reeves does in the bullet dodging scene in the Matrix, whilst doing a helicopter parrallel with the chest and geting back up again (requries lots of ab strength).2. One Handed Cartwheel: self explainitory keep the saff out from the body can also do a 1/4 turn with the staff for added dramatics.3. Skipping: holding the staff about 1/4 way down swing it towards the shins and jump over it, can be reversed swinging the staff towards the calves.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No problem with you naming your combos Grynygogg. It's the individual composite parts we are trying to find names for.We've covered your finger roll. It's fingerspins. It's a fairly standard move. Not dissing you or putting you down in anyway. I'm just saying.Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie, I do your "matrix" move. Both with helicopter and figure 8's. I also do it with double staff. And I do a version where i take it to it's extreme leaning back as far as I can before lowering myself down into first a sitting positition then lying back. Spinning all the while. Then stand back up again. Takes a lot of leg strenth to do it smoothly.I do that with doubles.The other 2 moves are listed in other threads. But I note they're not actually mentioned here. Well done grin------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Page: