Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Naming Staff Moves II (Every staffer please help)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lets have some more discussions and suggestions moving along because I've been a bit slack getting online lately, mainly due to summer coming up and having lots more gigs (three seperate gigs just last week!).So I have been neglecting the staff moves project and I'd like some more input form everyone like last time...***Please note, this attempt to name moves is to help the articulation of text-based staff moves which is one of the reasons staff is having trouble getting discussed regularly on HoP.This is to (hopefully) start the building blocks of a common language to try to make staffing easier to learn and discuss in a textbased format.If you don't like the name of a move but understand what it is, please let it lie, otherwise this will just become a series of in-fights, and will not be constructive at all. Thanking you in advance... ***The following moves have been discussed and suggested on https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000322.html
with some history too. Please read through if you haven't already.----------Staff Movements----------------* HELICOPTER = A horizontal spin in the same space, usually above the head.* ROTOR = Any vertical spin that stays in one space. Same as HELICOPTER, but perpindicular to the ground.* 1/2SPIN = Where the staff has only spun 180, this is regardless of any other motions or actions.* FULLSPIN/DOUBLESPIN/TRIPLESPIN/ 1/4SPIN ETC= As above, 1 spin is a complete rotation and the rest as they apply.* FIGURE 8 = To do a 1/2SPIN on you left and right side with the path crossing directly in fron of you. A trail from the centre of the staff would make a sideways figure 8 wrapped around you.* SIDEWAYS FIGURE 8 = A FIGURE 8 where the 1/2SPINS are in front and behind you, instead of on either side.* POP = Simple flat throw into the air, horizontal without spinning unless otherwise stated.* OVERHEAD POP = Flat throw from the front and caught behind or from behind and caught in front.* CLOCKWISE = The spin of the staff in relation to the front of the staffer* ANTICLOCKWISE = Reverse of clockwise, or same direction but behind your back rather than in front.----------Manipulation Movements----------* FINGERSPIN = To roll the staff through your fingers one-by one, keeping the staff stationary and spinning in a ROTOR or HELICOPTER.*** please note, FINGERSPINS do not need to travel along all five fingers, but the end action where the staff wraps under or over the hand to begin the motion again is seen as the end, not the beginning**** PINKYSPIN = FINGERSPIN that begins with the pinky, and then to the ring finger, index finger and so on. * THUMBSPIN = Same as PINKYSPIN, but starting form the thumb and then traveling along the pointing finger, index finger and so on.* FORWARDS = To lead a movement or spin with the thumb on the leading part of the staff. As in slicing a sword down diagonally in front of you.* BACKWARDS = Same as FORWARDS, but with the pinky on the leading part of the staff.* FORWARDS FIGURE 8 = To lead with the thumb-half of the staff when doing a figure eight.* HANDWRAP = To release the staff while spinning it so that it rolls over or under your hand and then cathing it again. Often used during FINGERSPINS to keep the staff centred.* STALL = I'd like some more feedback on this, but would prefer a stall to be any move that stops the spin completely.* FOOTSTALL = Horizontal catch or movement with the staff stationary and horizontal on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat.* FOOTBALANCE = Balancing the staff on one end (preferably without fire) on your foot for at least one milliheartbeat* TOOTHGRAB = Any STALL or move where the staff is held by the mouth/teeth/TONGUE!!! etc. People like myself who experiment with moves like this should prepare themselves for ridicule...* TUCK = Like an underarm roll. To swing the staff under your armpit, either to catch it there or as part of another move.* PALMSPIN = To spin the staff in a flat palm, without using the fingers.* BACKSPIN = To spin the staff on the hollow of your back without using hands or arms.* "insert body part here"SPIN = To spin the staff on your "IBPH" without using hands or arms.-----------Body Movements------------------* 180 = Half-rotation of entire body (usually using feet)* 360 = Full-rotation of body * 45,90,270 = Well, you get the idea, aye?* LEFT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your left* RIGHT-TWIST = swiveling at the waist 90 degrees to your right* LEFT-TWIST[45][20][180!] etc = Swiveling the appropriate number of degrees, also includes RIGHT-TWISTS.***Any move calling for 180 or more should put an "!" after it, coz its very hard to do!***That's most of them so far, could a couple of peeps see if they can use the terms to describe some of the movies in the Video-Section.Cheers------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 08 October 2001).][This message has been edited by Charles (edited 09 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This looks pretty good. A couple of nits to pick: - "backspin" could easily be mistaken for something else. Perhaps "spine-spin"...? "Tailspin" would be fun, but also easily mistaken.- "tuck" doesn't quite seem right. Perhaps "pit-grab" or "pit-roll" would be a better name. (don't like the word "pit"? Use "axillary.") We could also form "crotch-grab" on the same model. Err, maybe not.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
WRAP : Where the staff is passed around a body part.Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
CATCH : most ppl think its obvious, but you can catch staves in many different ways. I'm working on a Between Head and Shoulder Catch reversal, and a crook of the elbow catch.I'm sure there are other catches.josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
AdamRice: I had the same feeling about "BACKSPIN" but all of the other options just seemed to get worse and worse - looks like you may ahve hit the same problem yourself.It's an uncommon move, I might just take it out completely for a while.TUCK = Like an underarm roll. To swing the staff under your armpit, either to catch it there or as part of another move.***hmmm, thinking thinking...how about ARM-TUCK, ARM-TWIST, DUCK (quack quack).ARM-DUCK (now thats just silly...) TWEAK, ARM-TWEAKPLEASE REMEMBER THESE TERMS MAY NOT BE QUITE "RIGHT". But as long as you know what they are, please try to accept them...Josh - D'oh! (hits head with hand) WRAP it is, I think I'll change HANDROLL to HANDWRAP as well, it's more intuitive...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 08 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
New AdditionsStaff Movements*PINWHEEL = When the staff spins in a large vertical circle made up of smaller circles. Most common pattern for a continous BTB move.Manipulation Movements*Wrap = To roll the staff lengthwise around a body part.* ARMWRAP/WRISTWRAP etc...* CATCH = To grasp the staff in one or both hands that were not holding it earlier ( smile )* PINCH = To grip the staff between non-hand body parts, such as the shoulder and neck or the forearm and bicep. The staff continues to move or spin to be a pinch, otherwise it is a STALL.* NECKPINCH = To grip the staff between the neck and back or neck and chest while keeping it moving.Miscellaneous*BURNOFF = To spin off excess fuel by spinning the staff horizontally on its own axis, to produce two fireballs.Note: You can't do a vertical BURNOFF safely as the flames will engulf your head and your legs and also sparay fuel directly into your face------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 10 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
So how do you name that crazy kicking throw blackbird brought up? Has anyone managed that?How about PUSH. When you push the staff into yourself to make a more solid roll. Stall would prolly work better as PAUSE. To hold the staff on any plane. As in doing a horizontal stomach PUSH then horizantal PAUSING. While adding a 360 BODYSPIN to climb back up the staff. Could rename handle to GRIP while were at it such as one circle left GRIP one circle center GRIP one circle right GRIP. Humm maybe that would be better called a WALK?I dunno all this renaming of stuff. Why can't we just say it how it is? grin Humm virtical burnoff.. I need to try it!!! I was messed up one night and had a chance to handle a devil stick. Thought maybe I'd teach the guy how to burn off. When to my surprise the short stick blew up in my face. It's not nearly as bad as it looks as long as you keep it from your hair you should be fine being engulfed in flames for a few seconds. Your pants should be able to handle it too unless they are alrdy soaked in fuel. It does look horrid btw. I got alot of concern after that thing blew up. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Could you explain the handle-grip idea, I'm a little confused. blushAlso, stall is used in juggling, hackey, footbag, contact, and lots of other manipulation disciplines and means for the object being manipulated to stop moving completely without being gripped by the hand.I feel PAUSE is a great term to merely stop the action you are doing, as in "for dramatic effect". As i know I will have to keep repeating myself, if you undertand what the term is but don't agree with the word please let it lie so that this project will only take a few years instead of a few decades.But, Knagi, Knagi, Knagi... (shakes head slowly wink).We're not RENAMING anything, as there are virtually no staff posts with a common lingo on this site at all. Ask around, and most people will say they find it almost impossible to articulate staff moves in verbal or written terms without showing the move at the same time.This is an attempt (albeit a pretty tough one) to categorize some of the moves and also have common names for some of the more widepsread ones, to facilitate technical staff posts in the future. I know people won't agree, so I've put my head onto the chopping block as an arbiter.Also, you said your pants need to be soaked in fuel for a vertical burnoff to be dangerous. Think about why a burnoff happens...it sprays fuel into the air that then ignites.If you do it near your pants, you will soak them in fuel just before the ignition of the residual dropelts, or even soak them in exploding fuel...bad Bad BAD.You'll also fling fuel into your eyes and be blinded by the flash for the top half of the staff.Please don't try it, in fact I better take that notion off my last message, it seems a bit silly to put up in the first place.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 10 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I like PINWHEEL as a descriptive. I've been trying to explain that move recently as it's one of my favourites. In fact my fave is a FINGERSPIN PINWHEEL.Do you not think REVERSE would be better than BACKWARD tho?To me backwards brings to mind BTB.....might be just me tho....oh and i love the "milliheartbeat"by the way.... grin ------------------C@ntus

Meh

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
Some moves I do involve holding the staff not in the centre. Is this common enough/different enough to be on this list?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
That's where the GRIP term comes in. GRIPPING the staff as close to the fire on whichever end as you can. I like walking my hands up and down it while in a normal 360 makes the circles wind aroud. Your right on the stalls and pauses charles now that I think about it a stall is like a hackysac type dropping the staff and holding it lvl with your foot. But the PAUSE is holding it in the same plane while you do a body movement to get back to where you should be. VIRTICAL SPIN-OFFS RULE! HEhe I spent the weekend with some ppl who enjoy fire breathing They came up with a trick where one got on the others shoulders then did a virtical spin-off with my staff while they both breathed into it. How much fire can be created at once?? That limit just seems to keep getting pushed.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
God that sounds dangerous..I've been trying to get that backspin on my spine for months now..thanks for this thread CHarles, it's a great idea.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
BUMP

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks for BUMPing this up again Cantus.My apologies to all for not being on HoP as much as i was, summer is coming up here in New Zealand and I'm getting a lot of work and busking which is using up some of my time.That being said, Xaeda posted a thread called "STAFF - something funky to do after a neck catch " which was difficult to understand because of the nature of staff, not Xaeda's excellent explanation.If I can ask Xaeda if I have this right...You start off with a right-shoulder NECKPINCH, then do a LEFT TWIST and roll the shoulder upwards to make the staff point up across your body and down behind your back. You also lean backwards slightly at the waist.Then, using the right shoulder, you PUSH the staff hard enough to do a NECKWRAP, and finish with a left shoulder NECKPINCH.Or alternatively, you can let the neckwrap continue into a LEFT SHOULDER ROLL, a BACKROLL or two, a RIGHT SHOULDER ROLL and then a RIGHT HAND CATCH.Does this sound right Xaeda?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
We must remember to add one of my favorite tricks to your list...DROP SPIN - using one hand, spinning the staff around and around and around....Used mainly by flag twirlers (eg. colorguard from marching band).How to do a drop spin.1. You ARE right-handed for the purposes of this textual instruction.2. Hold the staff in your right hand, palm up. Pinky should allign with the middle of the staff.3. If you were to drop the staff, it would spin counter clockwise....so drop the staff, add a little upward push to it.4. Catch it where you held it originally.5. Repeat.note: if done well, a prolonged exposure picture would show one circle where the ends of the staff were spinning, or two very close circles.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
confusedSounds like a lot of effort for something I could simply do as a finger spin for similar effect.------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
dude, if the visual effect were all we were going for, we'd all just be doing figure eights smile plus fingerspins alone cant be done continuously...you will have to let go of the staff eventually. smileJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Did I hear the word "can't" in one of MY THREADS!!!! (Goes on a silly rampage breaking things and generally hurting himself)Just kidding Josh winkAlthough I consider the final finger wrap, where it goes over/under four fingers back to it's starting point, part of a continous finger spin, and i know people who can do a two finger and thumb continous spin for as long as they like...But it's not a move I've heard of before, so many thanks Oinanto...I had a go last night and geez, it was hard!Oinanto, do you you mind if I call it a CONTINOUS HANDWRAP, or is it a completely different move to what I practised?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sorry Josh. I didn't realise. I can do fingerspins til the cows come home. It didn't occur to me that other people couldn't do it too.CharlesI do a kind of helicopter finger spin (2 fingers and a thumb tongue) that is performed both under and over my hand - as in palm down, staff below hand. Then rotate wrist. Palm up, staff above hand....(does that make sense?) and I'm searching for a name for it. Do you think you''ve covered it already? Or is it a new animal? In which case it needs a name.I begin the move in front of me then move it round my body in a clockwise direction. BTB helicopter pass @ waist height. And continue it round with my left hand (alternating above and below) back to the front where i let go of it momentarily and, catching it with my right hand, I start it over...Takes a lot of finger strength but it looks cool. AND I don't know what it's called frown------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok, now the gritty stuff, is coming at https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000401.htmlwhere
we've been talking about very different moves with similar names...time to throw some more additions in...-----Manipulation Movements-------BTB NECKCATCH = To catch the staff behind the head with the crook of the neck. The staff can be gripped as in a PINCH between neck and shoulders or can stay in the crook due to friction and gravity.CHIN PINCH = Like the NECK CATCH but in front of the body where the chest is. It doesn't matter if it is the neck or the chin doing the gripping, the visual effect to onlookers is the same.CONTINUOUS HANDWRAP = To continuously wrap the staff around one one hand, usually by pushing upwards or downwards to maintain a fast spin. The wrap starts and finishes in the same position (i.e. why it can be continous).CONTINUOUS FINGERSPIN = Using all five fingers or as few as one. Once again, the start and finish positions being the same (exactly) is what makes continuous moves possible.******Cantus - You already described the move by describing it grin grin (hee hee hee)FINGERSPIN HELICOPTER!!!! Meaning some of this is making sense to some people. The extra movements you threw in are also easily described, meaning I don't think it needs a new name, but I definitely need some practice to do that.In fact, I've got very few HELICOPTER style moves, almost everything is ROTORS...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
A BTB helicopter pass is really easy. But looks tricky. If needs be you can always let go of it and let the momentum carry it to the catching hand grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cantus, love...I do a btb helicopter too...took me forever not to whack my shoulder blades to keep it horizontal! smileAnyway, I am surprised at Charles not having alot of helicopter moves! tsk..tsk.. tongueSo, anyone else do a (here we go) continuous arm roll from left hand to right hand (I am working on right to left still), ducking your head under the staff when it hits the nape of the neck? I like ending it with a quick pop up and into a helicopter palm spin.Kind of like hat dancers who roll it along their bodies.Now, will you be naming the devil stick style moves but with the staff the same as when learning a devil stick? Such as the tick tock? However, DS has a figure 8, a helicopter and rotor as well so would we just label them as a DS Rotor, or would that be too confusing? A DS Helicopter toss verses a Staff Helicopter toss for instance, would use two hands..one to push and one to pull and it kind of hangs differently in the air because it is done in front instead of overhead.Just wondering if we should go there yet or if I should keep my mouth shut!? grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Two hands? I very seldom have two hands on the staff.Mostly for that kind of thing I use a one handed fingerspin and just let go. Surely two hands would just get in the way? *pauses to think for a while. Wanders off to find a staff*Nope. Doesn't work. One handed; yes. Two; no.But I have come up with a new move grin so not entirely a waste of time. AND I've done it again. Whilst going thru Pele's arm roll/palm spin sequence in my head I've come up with an exit move for my palmspin that i've been trying to find for weeks now. Excellent!!!!This has been a good day. Right who's for beer?------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 03 November 2001).]

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You going to share Cantus or are you just going to keep us waiting with baited breath? smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Nothing very exciting P. The first is a (starting in the left hand following a high arc) basic thumb led fingerspin then drop catch (w/ right hand) change direction and repeat til staff (left hand then right hand etc)reaches bottom.See not exciting at all.K, the other one I dont really know how to explain.I'll give it a go anyhoos. From an overhead palm spin. Bring hand (staff still spinning) round in C/W direction so that it ends up adjacent to waist under arm (?) Stall staff then imediately flick up in forward spin throw over same side shoulder and perform BTB catch. I've been doing the catch for ages but have been searching for a way to work it into my routine grin That's how I do it. Whether you understand it is another matter....------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 04 November 2001).]

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - I actually think Helicopter moves are more dynamic and graceful than rotor moves :PDoes anyone do a b/h the head helicopter pass?from a helicopter (left hand staff turning counterclockwise if you look up at it) bring the staff down and wrap it around your neck. Reach up and around the opposite side of your head with your right, catch and you've finished the pass..spinout into whatever smile Looks really nice with a body spin or two put in there...I think Xaeda does this one...oh yeah - can be done with doubles too..except you have to reach up with the same hand to complete the pass...so basically you put it on your neck while body spinning, and then reach back around the other way and grab it again...Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I hardly ever helicopter above me. Usually only use it overhead in the form of a pass. Josh. Define bodyspin. It's probably something easy that i've overlooked but humour me.The thing with helicopters, I find at least, is that the only people who are impressed by them are other staffers. The proles can see anything impressive cos they only see the flames in a flat plain. they don't understand the work that's gone into it. I maybe wrong tho. It happened once before.I need to start doing more wraps and things i think. I currently do precisely none.------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
body spin, turning your body through 360 degrees. In the case of the move I descibed, spin in the same direction as the staff is spinning, so as to double the speed of the staff. do one spin when you get to 180 degrees whack the staff in the back o the neck hackey sack style catch position, complete the otheer 180 degrees of the body spin with the staff balanced on your neck, then do the reach around thing I described before, and spinout in to something else (probly helicopter figure 8 is the easiest...I find doing the move while body spinning the whole time feels great smileHTH,JOsh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bump

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
(runs in waving his arms in case anyone has forgotten what he looks like).cough cough bodyspin is probably less confusing as a PIROUETTE. Not necessarily the tippy-toes ballet thing. Otherwise we can stick to what is put up above, i.e a 360 also means a full body spin.Now I'm going to go sulk in a corner coz you guys are talking about lots of helicopter moves and its been raining here for three weeks and I've hardly practiced at all...But (bigger sulk) this thread seems otbe doing fine without me wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
::singing badly::"We love you Charles,Oh yes we doEven though you don't doHelicpoter moooooo-ves"From an audience perspective, Cantus is right. Helicopters aren't impressive to stand there and do them in front of you...however, lift them so that people can see them kind-of from underneath, or add a pluthera of body movements and they can take on new life. It's more about placement of them I think and how you do them rather than just doing them arbitrarily. I think these are the types of moves you need to kind-of plan out for a show, at least.Josh, so your thing is like a helicopter to a neck wrap with 360 turn to a helicopter?What about if when we get that full neck circle of Xaeda's worked through...think that'll fit nicely in there?No one answered me about the wingspan roll..so I am going to try again...what about balancing or dropping it on an appendage to pop it back up? ie: Body roll from chest to knee, using the knee to pop it into the air, plucking it out of air and continue on spinning? Any other thoughts on doing this? I wanted to figure some way of doing it behind me, like kicking it up off my heel, but I can't figure out how to get it down there to start out with!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Page: