fire flymember
56 posts

Posted:
hey im thinking about getting a new set of fire poi soon and was lookin in the shop and i was just wondering what u would recomend?

iv got a second hand home made set right now and they are about past there used by date the wicks r worn and i left them out side so they r at the first stage of rusting so im too affrade to use them incase they break and hit somthing.

so plz reply and tell me wat u recomend

(p.s sorry for the spelling)

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
A big long wooden core with metal ends and wicking.

...o' hang on that's a staff.

- Alienfox -

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I recommend you make your own.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by vanize:
I recommend you make your own.
Let's not
Well, sure it hell of a lot cheaper. But home-made things tend to be more dangerous that the pro-stuff, right?
So, I would advise to go for the normal beginners set, and meybe, when you know what you have and how it works make your own.
Unless I am terribly mistaken that is, wouldn't be the first time

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You say you've already got an old set, well, are you happy with them? are they too heavy/light? would you prefer the chains to be longer or shorter?

If you've got a shop nearby go and ask if you can try whirling a few unlit to see if you like the lengths and weights, you're the one who is going to be spinning them so you should be completely happy with them irrelevent of what other people say.

Personally I tend to buy longer chained ones with safety links at both ends and standard hollow heads and shorten or lenghten them as I please depending on what moves I want to do.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

POI BOY JNRmember
2 posts

Posted:
in the time ive spent poi'ing ive realised that a poi should feel right in your hands if it feels wrong then the pois arent for you (obviously)
personally i prefer the cathedral style wick (hard to explain) The problem with this online shop is that they dont have them

the reason i like them is that there is no metal involved at all except for a single bolt which goes through the centre this makes them hold a lot of fuel very easily. they are light weight and very easy to use. i like the cords short and swift to make easy quick moves with.

all for now POI BOY

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Cathedral or monkey fist knots are the way to go. Both are in the shop here

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

fire flymember
56 posts

Posted:
the reason i need new poi's is cause mine r not safe any more cause they r starting to rust and iv had them for well over a year now and the friend i bought them off had them for about 4 years so they r getting old and rusty and in need of new wicks

i was thinking about a set of monkey fists but r they heavy to use i get sore arms after about an hour of spinning with the ones i got now

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
The monkey fist are the best, get those.

But they are rather heavy .

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
dont get tube core ones, i know a few people with them, they have whimpy little flames and burn for about 2 min max...
anything else is cool,id make them though, so id go for cathedrals as they are really easy to make. i like to make things though, and as for safety, if youve made it you know how safe it is.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
quote:
Well, sure it hell of a lot cheaper. But home-made things tend to be more dangerous that the pro-stuff, right?
No offense to the fine products available at the HoP store, but most homemade fire poi I have seen are of equal or higher quality than commercially available stuff. But then the Texas fire spinners pride themselves on not only making their own poi, but making quality poi.

But certainly don't make your own if you don't want to take the time to be a craftsman about it.

BTW, does anyone know about what lengths of kevlar rope you need to make a monkey fist with the various diameter ropes?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I prefer monkey fist. It just seems weird having a fireball not being lead by a ball. But that's probably because I learned on monkeys *shrug* weavesmiley

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more