• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Face_NL
Face_NL

addict
Total posts: 513
Posted:Hey,

I have been reading through a lot of messages about making LED poi's, but I was missing something... I was planning to maken strobe poi's (flickering at a rate around 20 Hz) inside an glowstick-like tube or a 'ballenbad' ball (In the Netherlands we have a 'ballenbad' at the McDonalds; a 'pool' for kids which is filled with plastic hollow balls; ideal for making beaming poi's in my idea).
Anyhow, I don't have any experience with electronic circuits , so is there anyone that can give me tips (/ a complete construction plan )?
Has the flickering thing influence on the current/voltage needed???

-Telpeva-

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

Delete Topic

TheSilverShadow
TheSilverShadow

Uncle Chop Chop
Total posts: 213
Posted:You can make some very effective glow oi with two used glowsticks two rav n glo party lights and some electric tape.
Cut off the fatest end of the glowstick and place the rav n glo light in the end fix it with many a strip of electric tape, and hey presto.

I made some of these and they easily rival my beaming balls they look sooo nice.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

Delete

Face_NL
Face_NL

addict
Posted:Hmmz, sounds good, but a small but... The rav'in lights (and almost every poi-item) aren't sold in the netherlands, and I don't have a credit card, so that is why I want to build everything up out of radio-shack-like parts...
Btw, rav-'in lights are pretty expensive, arent't they? I think I would rather buyStreetlights because they cost way less. (nice shop btw, check it out)

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Total posts: 643
Posted:Streetlights are pretty but VERY VERY fragile - that's why you can't buy them here at HoP they shatter on impact stupidly easily

I'm afraid i can't help on the electronic parts front but you should be able to buy the little Photon LED torches anywhere, which are just the same only better made.

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

TheSilverShadow
TheSilverShadow

Uncle Chop Chop
Total posts: 213
Posted:The rave n lights maybe expensive but are worth every penny, a six inch multi coloured glow stick u can't go wrong.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

Delete

Face_NL
Face_NL

addict
Posted:Hmmz, I'm in doubt now...
For the streetlights technomoves.com has an alternative; a strobing glowstick (led+tube) for 2 bucks, just don't now if that's durable or not...

Rave n lights are cool , and if you're that enthousiastic... (which version is nicer btw, the ribbon or strobe version?). (ow, and another, has anyone experience with X-lights(again; see www.technomoves.com )? Looks the same as the strobe version, but the price is 50% lower ... )

Delete

[({PoiToi})]

Total posts: 99
Posted:RIBBON VERSION all the way!!
you should be able to make a simple strobe circuit with a battery, led, and a capacitor??
i;m sure the guys at radio shack could help you with that.
-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

Delete

MaskN
Total posts: 14
Posted:There is a type of LED on the market called a "flashing LED" which would do the trick.... In some electronic stores your able to buy kits which have flashing LED circuits that use one sometimes three flashing LEDS

--MaskN--

Delete

onewheeldave
Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3252
Posted:The two problems with the flashing LEDs that I've seen are that they are of normal brightness (ultra brights work better for poi) and they tend to flash at a slow rate e.g. twice per second.

If, however, you can get some that are rated at around 7 mcd (brightness) and flash at about 50 Hz (50 times/second), they would work really well.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Chiron
Chiron

back after 5 years...
Total posts: 35
Posted:Hi,

Im new to these forums but thought you would be interested to know that I am currently building some hi-tech poi using some pretty expensive LED devices. The first generation should chuck out around 1.8Watts of light ( thats a lot for an efficient LED). The next generation should do about 10Watts, then I will be biulding some that use a variable flash-rate based upon their velocity - watch this space. My first LED poi went down well at the WOMAD festival in the uk.
For true strobes you need a Xenon-Arc but you cant really get the power in a small battery to flash them rapidly, its like trying to get a flashgun on a camera to act like a strobe - it has to recharge after every pulse. Club-type strobes draw several amps from the mains!

Wizard of LED poi !

Delete

bwetman

Total posts: 1
Posted:There are different kind of electronic circuits as per their usage. You need detail level of research to find out your solution or you can take help from soldertools.net

Delete