Forums > Technical Discussion > Milk Thistle (Silymarin) and Your Liver

Login/Join to Participate

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I have been doing quite a bit of research on the ingestion/inhalation of toxins we firedancers put up with. It is difficult to come up with quantitative first-hand data linking what firedancers do to health problems down the line, but the liver surely plays something of a role in cleansing our systems.

I readily came across milk thistle (Silymarin) when looking into liver cleansers/restoratives. Does anyone use any supplements, natural or otherwise, especially when doing a lot of fire-eating or fire-blowing? I am very interested to know what preventative/proactive measures everyone is (not) taking.

To your health,
MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, let me say that i would definitely be concerned aout this, and you are on the right track. although some people don't seem to have problems (pele for one), a lot of folks i know do. in fact sage is to the point where she is regularly seeing an acupuncturist to deal with the fire's effects. i only do fire for shows and so it isn't as bad for me. but long term, career fire dancing is pretty bad for you, there's a reason there's warning labels all over this stuff! the most important things are
A) keep the fuel off your mucous membranes, especially if you are using methanol type fuels. if you are eating and blowing with them, well, try doing the oil coating in your mouth thing, other than that, just kiss your health goodbye!
B) only light up when you have to. after a while the excitement of the fire wears off anyway, and you can focus on the ritual aspect of it.
C) marshmallow, milk thistle, water, well i reckon anything that cleans your system will help, huh? whole foods has a vitamin called "smog ease" that has lots of toxin cleansers in it, see if you can find it and see what it has in it.
D) do more searching on this site, i know i've seen this topic before

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
thanks for the input Arashi. I have seen topics about drinking milk and/or swishing with it before hand, but i did not come up with a supplements thread that covered this particular one.

I'm hoping someone out there might have experience with the use of supplements or alternative medicines, and if they believe they have been helped by any. For instance, is the acupuncture helping sage? Does Smog-Ease work? Etcetera.

I know the health issue gets brought up from time to time, but I hope everyone takes their health seriously, as well as that of those they bring into the fold.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ive heard quite a bit about things that can help clean your system and have yet to find something that works great
ive heard of people drinking high fat milk to coating their mouth w\olive oil, taking tums before and after (dont do this it neutralizes the acid that can take apart some of the chemicals), to drinking pepto, to taking an activated charcoal tablet before and after
personally i drink lots of water before and after, and the activated charcoal,
theres also the fuel choice that you use for blowing
i use ultra pure lamp oil, from experiance it doesnt irritate my skin (ive got very sensitive skin im irish )
also the taste doesnt make you want to swallow it, and you can get it out of your mouth w\ baking soda and peroxide (it lifts out the oil)
FACTORS
1> depends on the person
2> your skin type
3> what you do before and after you blow
4> taking every safety precaution
5> research on your art form
this is really all that ive got to say unless something diff. comes up
PLUR

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about specific items, but I have heard that coating your mouth with anything is a bad idea, as it traps heat. However, this is secondhand knowledge and I don't eat or breathe fire so who knows?

P*L*U*R

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I am an herbalist as well as a fire breather. I have been taking milk thistle seed tea since taking up breathing. I steep a teaspoonful of milk thistle seed in a small tea pot once a week. I often combine it with nettles and yerba mate.
Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) is a powerful liver detoxifier and is used as an antidote for Amanita mushroom poisoning.
In addition to milk thistle, most herbalists would recommend dandelion, oregon grape root, red clover flowers (the principle ingredient in the Hoxey cancer formula), and wild yam root.
Chinese herbology would advise schizandra. It helps the body heal chronic hepatitis.
The liver, the largest organ in the body, has the greatest ability to regenerate lost or damaged tissue of all the organs.
Your lungs aren't as resilient and to deal with all the inhaled toxins, N-acytlecystine or "nac", is the best, and vitamins C and E are also good for mopping up toxins.
And it's not just adding stuff to your diet. You've got to give up bacon cheeseburgers and go on a low cholesterol diet.
Before I fire breathe I swallow some pink bismuth and a few charcoal tablets. (Can't find charcoal tabs? Just burn some toast.) After I fire breathe I drink lots of water.
Andrew Weil has a great chapter on protecting yourself from toxins in Spontaneous Healing.

peace,
Maximus Ego

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
i eat dandylion stems, leaves and flowers, and i also take lots of c and e...but i didnt know they were liver detox.....interesting..

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!