Page:
Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Anyone ever tried to make apoi that does not burn but just smoke instead? When spinning with a firestarter fuel when the fire went out the poi were leaving a beautiful trail of smoke behind but it lasted too short.. I would like to make the duration longer...

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I think we've all do this at that point. But I would think that would slowly destroy your kevlar, simly because its smoke, smoke comes from burning. Things can still burn after the flame is put out.

Say you have a piece of paper, light the corner on fire. Let it burn under control for a few seconds and then blow it out... and once the flame is put out... keep blowing... if you continue to do it the paper will eventually burn up... or you'll run out of breath.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Strap some mega smoke bombs to chains

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I belive there's something you can get that just trail's smoke. I guess you could just attach that too your poi. I think there sold on that site that sells the Flame FX. May be called smoke flares. I think I've heard of a device like that though.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Ah right, something like the army uses. Unless you get something significantly smaller the amount of smoke will be overwelming. keep in mind, they use these things to get the attention planes and helicopters in war torn areas.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
My idea is smoke grenades on the end of poi chains (these are basicly what you guys are talking about)

with a big slow moving fan to slowly move the smoke out of the way so it still keeps it's shape. In effect it should make the smoke corkscrew as you spin.

my other idea is to use no fan, and just put laser pointers on the poi so they shine through the smoke.

Or use a smoke machine+laser pointers to the same effect.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I know dried up sap or resin smokes really well. It would definately screw up your kevlar poi, but I bet you'd sure get some smoke. You would have to melt it into the wick so it doesn't fly off. It would take some experiemnting but everything would smell pine fresh.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
just make sure nobody is standing infront or behind you... we wouldn't want to damage their eyes.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I don´t think I would want to make my kevlar smoke... I was thinking of a spoecial kind of poi head made of something smoking... I also thought about the smoke grenades but they smoke far too long and strong... Well.. Off to the drawing board again...

BTW what is sap or resin? Isn't that the thing that pours out of pine trees when they are damaged..?

(me 'n my great vocab.. )

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
you could always attach fireworks like catherine wheels or screamers not only would it be beautiful but your heart would probably beat faster than ever before!!

Ok this is just a joke for any person thats reads this and thinks it's a good idea

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
I've put fireworks on poi before, whilst wearing head to toe protection, like gloves, balaclavas, goggles.

And it still shit me up

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
This is just a pipedream, and I don't know if any one has posted this before.... But wouldn't it be nice to have customised smoke grenades, one giving off one of the glowstick chemicals and the other the other one, when you mix the trails together they would react and glow. It would be nice.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Smoking Poi Might want too check that out. You'd probably have too modify it somewhat.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
any good theatrical suppliers should be able to provide you with diffrent types of smoking pyros, and thease are probibly your best bet, in some kind of cage.

You can get smoke pellets for the building trade that are used to test the draw on flumes and the like... DONT USE THEASE!!!! the smoke they give off is very toxic.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There was a thread a while back about using dry ice (you can manufacture it very easily from a CO2 fire extinguisher). A dirty fuel like turps should give a decent smoke trail while lit.

A couple of mates use smoke canisters while performing aacrobatics on their gliders, they produce one hell of a lot of smoke, even in a decent wind you'll be completely obscured within a few seconds using these.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Yep resin is the stuff that comes out of trees. You can get some in a music shop. They sell it to put on the bow's of string instruments. just break it up and maybee bake it into a piece of kevlar. I know it would be expensive, but cotton just isn't stable enough. If the resin is melted in the middle of the wick, it's less likely to spin off. Hot flying sap as was mentioned before would not be good. The smoke would not be toxic. Atlease compared to many of the other fuels.

Man am I going to catch hell for saying something isn't toxic.

Cody Canon

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
*throws hell at Cody*

CATCH!!

resin isn´t toxic it´s natural...

Not bad the smoke grenades but still too much smoke... The duration seems fine but the best way would be to make the trail thinner... Just like when you photograph spinners and get long trails, that was the original idea... Some stuff that just smoulders instead of burning would bee good it´s just that I don´t know of any: o ((

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by White RaveN:

resin isn´t toxic it´s natural...

i dont think that just because something occours naturally, its non toxic, poisonous plants/animals are natural but can kill you. oil occurs naturally, im sure that oil fumes are fairly toxic, infact im sure most smoke isnt all that good for you.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
See See what did I say. Now lets not get into a big toxic smoke discussion. It's smoke for goodness sake it's nothin but toxins. Resin smoke I'm assuming is less toxic than other smoke say from a smoke grenade. Since we all have sat arround a camp fire before and were all still here, I am guessing it's sorta safe. How about it's safer than cigarettes.

Cody Canon

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Ehm smoke poi?
Wouldn't that just ruin your act?
"Hey, I can't see a flying f*ck cause of the smoke!"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
What ya need is a smoke that disipates rather quickly. Something like a fog machine. The smoke is thick and white when it comes out, but after about 20 seconds, the smoke pretty much clears out.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ok......not to shoot the idea down
but i kinda have to
the whole filling one grenade w\a glowstick chem and the other grenade w\the second chem wont work
of the chemicals used on is a peroxide solution
which basically means you cant get it as a smoke since its got that h2o molecule in there, you need to have a carbon chain (which means an organic chemical) to be able to get it to burn in the first place
peroxide is also a catylist so you dont know what else it would affect
i dont know if its hydrogen peroxide or some other peroxide (theres lots) that they use but trust me....it wont work
for it to aerate in the first place youd need to get a cylinder of an inert gas and a nebulizer head to make it into a fine mist.....as you can see...this starts to get very complex very easlily......just my thoughts on that.....
on another not if all you want is smoke you can mix potassium w\sugar but the smoke is toxic.....if you make a cage similar to when your spinning steel wool you might be able to rig a smoke bomb in there but im not sure what chem. they use and if their extremely toxic like most are
on the fireworks idea....most fireworks use magnesium in them..for those that dont know this stuff burns around the temp of the surface of the sun...give or take
itd get your heart going alright....ill see if i can think something up but im not too sure its very sane in either case
just makes it more interesting =P

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

kristiboySILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
I've tried using flares as poi before. The amount of smoke it produces is counter-productive. You can't see anything...apart from the incredibly strong light form the flare that leaves you almost blinded. All in all it was very stupid, dangerous, and fun.

If you talk you can sing. If you walk you can dance.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
is that k-boy...?

i'll bet you don't remember me but if it is you

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
If the main idea is to create a trace of the poi's path... check this site out: Flaming Butterflies - Movies , and especially this indoor sparkles movie... It leave's a beautiful trail!!! The only thing that sucks is that they don't tell what they use as fuels etc ("fire, sparklers & pyrotechnics" :-s). There was a message-thread with pyrotechnics as subject, cant't find it anymore...

When it's the end of december I can buy fireworks, so I think I'm going to attach some subtle little things at the end of my chain to see what kind of effect it has.

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

ecofairymember
23 posts

Posted:
Idea?
you know those things that catholic monks swing round (well they seam to in movies) wouldn't something like that work?

The earth isn't dying its being murdered and the people killing it have names and addresses!

ecofairymember
23 posts

Posted:
Idea?
you know those things that catholic monks swing round (well they seam to in movies) wouldn't something like that work?

ellexx

The earth isn't dying its being murdered and the people killing it have names and addresses!

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
Would it work if you used a small flare type object, not only would you get a trail of smaoke but also a strong red light.
My other idea would be to use a 'signal trail' like parachutists at displays.

I live in england so most cool stuff isnt sold here but could you make something out of a 'cherry bomb'?

Who tries to use knives-dies, Who tries to use fire-insinerates! >:)

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
.......u dont get how much smoke those things actually make do you??
youd like...gag and kill your audiance....theres a reason they keep those things away from ppl...the smoke is toxic if i remember right
also...a "cherry bomb"
isnt a smoking firecracker...those things really have some punch to them(explosion wise) and their illegal in most states......dunno about up there in the UK but yeas.....

[ 31. October 2003, 15:54: Message edited by: darkpoet ]

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Flares are out of question... It's really too much smoke and even if done outside, it would ruin the overall effect... What I'm trying to do is to get a trail as thick as an average wick, the same effect you get on long exposure photos but real-time and with smoke so the smoke trail should be max. 10 centimeters (3 in.) thick and should vanish quite quickly, 10 secs or so... The more I think about this the more it seems that the solution is impossible... I guess you could manufacture smaller smoke grenades but that would be too expensive and hard...

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
ok...

yeah, cherry bombs are illegal over here but u know. The only other idea i can think of is a thing which i saw in a magic and joke shop near my town. Its stuff magicians use which u put on your fingers (its a clear liquid) and when you rub your fingers together you get i smoke effect, kind of like dry ice.
My dads a scientist and so he kinda knows bout this sort of stuff. If you can wait a couple days il get back to you with what he says...

Who tries to use knives-dies, Who tries to use fire-insinerates! >:)

Page: