• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:Heads up.... didn't think this sorta thing was easily available:

Non-Https Image Link

could be very interesting.... they're in Adelaide - anyone over in Australia fancy checking this out? or already checked it out?

ps. forgot the URL - Flame FX - their image links are broken though

I know the coloured flame stuff on here, but never seen proper oils etc sold for coloured flames, apart from this

[ 09. October 2003, 01:08: Message edited by: frostypaw ]

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete Topic

PoiBox

Total posts: 85
Posted:Looks like something for the HOP shop! Add this and extrabright glowsticks and my next order is out . . .

Thanx for the link

Delete

telic

I don't want a title.

Total posts: 940
Posted:But the website says not to mix their oils with regular lamp oil. My wicks, of course, have regular lamp oil residue on them. And I bet this oil leaves residue for a few burns, too. Think we'd end up having to buy different wicks for each color?

E pluribus unum, baby.

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:I for one would be willing to have fresh wicks it it really looks like it does in the pic...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:quote:Think we'd end up having to buy different wicks for each color?That's so going to end up at the top of any shopowners reasons why to sell this stuff

I suspect it's because of the same problem as so many find playing with boric acid mixes - the paraffin still there pollutes it and it goes back to a yellow flame

thing is... even if it's not as big a flame as plain ol' paraffin sod it... to be able to have one blue and one red firepoi? Now THAT I might be willing to do anything for.

If none of our antipodean friends have tried this stuff or want to i'll bloody well order some

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Forau

Total posts: 81
Posted:quote:Originally posted by frostypaw:
quote:Think we'd end up having to buy different wicks for each color?thing is... even if it's not as big a flame as plain ol' paraffin sod it... to be able to have one blue and one red firepoi? Now THAT I might be willing to do anything for.

Well, why dont you use two wicks and mark them somehow(maybe at the cord of *the thing where you put your fingers in* and have one specific blue wick and one red?

Delete

Deimos
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Deimos

Cinnamon Girl

Total posts: 191
Posted:This is re-goddamn-diculous. I'm scared to get too excited since this seems a little too good to be true! Aromatherapy scented, less harmful to the environment and freakin BLUE???
Damn

P*L*U*R

Delete

telic

I don't want a title.

Total posts: 940
If none of our antipodean friends have tried this stuff or want to i'll bloody well order some Mrow. Please order it and tell us how it goes!

E pluribus unum, baby.

Delete

thrillz

Total posts: 6
Posted:Hi guys I'm an Aussie. I will be looking into this stuff however I have my final high school exams coming up so It might take a while
I will post how it goes.

Delete

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)

resident bagpiper

Total posts: 342
Posted:this pyrotechnic agency is really a reseller of feuls from www.colorcorona.com in korea, they have good prices. check it out, thats where to get the "lamp Oil" you need

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Delete

Big Andy

Total posts: 186
thing is... even if it's not as big a flame as plain ol' paraffin sod it... to be able to have one blue and one red firepoi? Now THAT I might be willing to do anything for.

If none of our antipodean friends have tried this stuff or want to i'll bloody well order some Ha ha, yeah, I might try to get my hands on some just to do my own experiments.

And yes, the ability to have different colored poi with a readily available oil is GREAT! I love the idea of colored fire poi, but I don't want to mess with mixing a witches brew of chemicals to do it!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Delete

Big Andy

Total posts: 186
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Mark1:
this pyrotechnic agency is really a reseller of feuls from www.colorcorona.com in korea, they have good prices. check it out, thats where to get the "lamp Oil" you need Okay, I tried going to colorcorona.com, but it didn't work. A quick Google search for corona and oil, and I came up with Magic Corona, www.colorflames.us

At this link, I found the bottles of oil for sale. They are expensive!! 20 bucks for 30 ounces of oil?? I might just stick to Coleman's white gas for 3 bucks a gallon, lol. I guess it's worth it for the colors, as long as you save it for special occasions, and not just burn it for the hell of it, lol.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Delete

pi

Total posts: 7
Posted:there's an important note on the colorflames.us 'how to use' page:
quote: Light the wick. The flame color will become vivid and natural after 5- 10mintues. i suspect that most problems with getting coloured flames from the many possible suggestions is that it requires a certain temperature to be reached before the chemicals will react desirably - possibly not temperatures that fire tools don't reach in time.

the shit ain't over until the last record spins

Delete

DarkDevil

DarkDevil

Total posts: 233
Posted:how about if the oil was kept in a open can of some sort, was lit 5 minutes before the show, and stayed lit during the entire show, and when your going to spin you just dip your wick into the lit oil

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Delete

musashii

musashii

starring Skippy the green llama

Total posts: 1148
Posted:sounds extremely dangerous..you dont have a way to spin off, so when you spin, you have nice pretty arcs of coloured fuel flying into the audience..perhaps exstinguishing it before soaking could be an option, I'd love to hear if anyone tries this out..I dunno tho(in retrospect), since it's a patented mixture, there's no way to get an msds sheet on the fuel either, so you don't really know all the associated risks either.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Delete

ben-ja-men
GOLD Member since Jun 2003

ben-ja-men

just lost .... evil init

Total posts: 2474
Posted:i happen to live in adelaide and called the guy up he said its $44 for 500mL im going to go and check it out later in the week as he has samples that he said i can have a burn with. if u buy in bulk its $36 for 500 mL but u have to buy 24 bottles ..... may be cool for a bday burn or something.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Delete

shoddygoods

shoddygoods

Total posts: 18
Posted:ok... so i'm a bad pooty-tat, it took me a while but i managed to dig up a patent # of 6,488,726 for this stuff, while it goes into length about how the things are mixed and put into solution and bla bla bla..

i found these bits interesting:
green: hmmm... look familiar?
Boric Acid
red: how about this? hmmm...
Lithium Stearate or Strontium colloidal solution
orange:
Borax and Sodium Chloride
blue:
Copper Chloride
pink:
strontium chloride
violet: this would be sooo sweet!
cerium chloride
light purple:
cesium chloride

other interesting notes:
The products of this invention are not non-polar compounds, such as petroleum and paraffin, and, as solvents, enable coloring agents to be dispersed easily, but this invention's products are poorly absorbed through wicks. In this reason, as a capillary linker, lauryl alcohol is added. Lauryl alcohol disperses easily in compounds; such as propylene glycol, ethylene glycol mono ethyl ether, methyl ether, or ethyl ether, and its fatty acid supply continuously lamp fuel to the wick.

Most importantly:
if you have no idea what all this means then your best bet is to leave it alone. but if you do... feel free to share some more insite with me.

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Posted:does it mention what the fuel base is that they're dissolving the compounds in?

it's no real surprise that they're using those chemicals - it's more how they're making it work so nicely y'see

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

shoddygoods

shoddygoods

Posted:the solvents are really no big surprise either...

here is the link to the patent:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parse...6&RS=PN/6488726
br>
the individual colours very, some requre heat and pressure, others seem to be done around 50.degree. C.

blue:
Ratio (%, w/w) Ingredients
001.0 about 5 Copper Chloride
005.0 Ethyl Alcohol
050.0 Propylene Glycol
035.0 Ethylene Glycol mono Ethyl Ether
009.0 Butanol
002.0 about 3 Lauryl Alcohol
005.0 Camphor
000.1 Turpentine oil
100 Total

In method of manufacturing the lamp fuel composition for blue colored flames, 5% (w/w) of copper chloride(CuCl2) as coloring agent was added to ethyl alcohol and was stirred at room temperature to be completelydissolved, and subsequently propylene glycol, butanol, and ethylene glycol mono ethyl ether were added and stirred at 50.degree. C. for 25 minutes, and then after 2% (w/w) of lauryl alcohol, camphor, and turpentine oil were added and stirred at 50.degree. C. for 25 minutes, the resulting mixture was cooled to room temperature, stored in a storage tank, and supplied for experiments.

here's what else ive figured out:
the camphor and turpentine oil are for smell and to increase heat power...
and it seems as though the lauryl alcohol helps by lending capillary action allowing it to "wick".

so it looks like it comes down to the:
5% Ethyl Alcohol
(ethanol) (found in various beverages, also industrial solvent, afinity for organic compounds)
35% Ethylene Glycol mono Ethyl Ether
(component of many cleaning agents, epoxy coatings, paints, hydraulic fluid)
50% Propylene Glycol
(apparently a safe anti freeze. also used in cosmetics, weight 8.61 pounds per gal, cost about $13us gal)
9% Butanol
(butyl alcohol) (fermented from corn used in flavoring extraction, resins, lacquers, bake fluid)

how's that? better?

Delete

shoddygoods

shoddygoods

Posted:oops... double posted..

Delete

resident bagpiper

Total posts: 342
Posted:sorry, i did get the site wrong, its

look for torch oil

www.saintcross.com is the main site

i don't know where these other prices are coming from, but i e-mailed the guy and got these prices

TORCH OIL 500ml 009L 020L
blue/red/yellow/green $005.50 $049.00 $180.00

this is listed as unit price in FOB korea(whatever that means(explain please))

about the 10 minute thing, remember that these use initially dry hemp wicks, that might have an impact, the issue might be regarding getting continuous capillary action in the dry wicks(an issue nonexistant in soaked wicks.

at these prices/it seems worth it

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Delete