DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I just got my kevlar in, and am preparing to make my wicks, but i wanted to test the resistance the kevlar thread had against flame. So i lit my zippo and placed a strand of kevlar thread over the flame. It started to smoke, and then blasted into flames. Now i'm wondering... will this hold my wicks together? I was going to sew them instead of using bolt/screws. Please, help me out...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Yes, this makes plenty of sense... and i feel confident to use the thread to sew the kevlar to the core, but would you still suggest i use the thread on the outside of the head?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Thanks man, btw... i asked you to seal my order with a kiss, i found no traces of a kiss... i'm not satisfied

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Haha, nice.. just goes to show how much you'll go for your customers. Btw, I took some of that kevlar thread and I drenched it in Zippo fluid and lit it, it went right up, burned for a few seconds, and then went out. No Damage done. Thanks again.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
All of the fire tools I make have kevlar thread in them I cant stand anything flapping around I sew all of my poi heads toghter. I despise any metel exposed on any wick so needless to say I use alot of kevlar thread.I had all kinds of breakage problems with the thread until I found the right type of thread for fire tools.for starters the thread cant be mixed with any cotton it just wont hold up it will burn up or get weak from the heat. The pure kevlar thread is the ticket it doesnt absorb fuel and has a higher melt point than the blended threads. about 750 degrees.the hottest point I have ever found on a fire wick or above it was 700 degrees(white gas ).

I have sewn so many wicks toghter I have lost count .since using the thread that is offered here in the hop shop(which is the same as I use )
I have not had one thread related failure.I even use that thread to bind the ends of my fire whips toghter so that is fire at about 400 miles per hour.even with it burning out before the rest of the whip and still being used I have not had any problems .

so frosty to answer your question it works great
if you want to get rid of your exposed metal you will have no worrys with the thread sold in the shop.a hint buy real good sissors the stuff is tough to cut.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Yep, the answer is right there... its definately doing the job... I even sprayed zippo fluid over the sewed up area and lit that on fire and just let it burn out... and it holds fine...