DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Everyone agrees sock poi rock. And I'm sure loads of people have figured out you can tie the ends together and have a meteor. I stumbled over some other things there last night though. I'm using quite big juggling balls and I decided to try put a juggling ball in each end of each sock for throws. I hold one of the balls and swing the other.

Not only is it great having perfectly balanced poi for throws. but you can even throw one of your poi and catch it in meteor grip and carry on... You can even play with one poi and a meteor at the same time, makind isolation looking stuff easy peasy (ok I know that's not the point )

I've found I'm starting to thing way different all of a sudden like double staff type stuff (or double meteor I spose) like throw one poi, change hand poi into other hand and catch the air poi with free hand while turning. So much really fantasticly fun new stuff to play with.

For me stalls have been replaced with stall throws as my favourite way to change poi direction . As you are about to stall a poi throw and immediately catch the other side of the poi and the poi are going in a different direction. Very nice when done from rvs waist wrap to normal btb waistwrap.

I know some would say, well what the point when you can't do it with fire but I know there's you folk who use glo-ball and such things and all the other shiney things. Besides I reckon it all looks sweet with socks on anyway...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Baa Baa:
I know there's you folk who use glo-ball and such things and all the other shiney things.
played a little with double ended aerotech nets once (about 1 1/2 foot strings).
when you let go they spin very fast and that scared me. plus i only have two aerotech balls (grrr) so its a very temporary toy when i make one.

managed to get a thown and caught fwd to fwd low turn before i gave up. tis fun cos it can de done with only a beat in between each 180 throw and turn plus a low turn would normally get you from fwd to rev but the throw means there is a direction change.

the double nets at that length are also lots of fun for non-poi weird juggling type stuff too - isolate one, rotate other around it, drop one catch to single spin and stall catch and so on.
we loved it we did but maybe we were just a little inebriated and unduely fascinated...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmm. i used these for a while.... but now putting it off till i have 4 blue white aerotechs. mmmmmmmmm

need to work hard to pay those off when i get them

but yes. there's loads to be done with these. i think my favouritestseest move is the airwrap suicide. the doub;le end makes it go round a treat...

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Custom bug's got me thinking about these recently.

I wasn't able to sleep last night and I hope this makes sense. I haven't tried most of this but I hope to in the coming weeks. Maybe this doesn't make sense or maybe I'm spurting but I've not much work this week so....

I'm not sure exactly of the context people are using the word releases but using these as poi it should make for some interesting "mid sock airwrap" releases.

With identical weight at each side I'm thinking about things like mid sock airwrap in front of you follow time, grab the opposite sides and release the one you had in your hand originally and reverse out the way you came.

I'm not sure what would happen if you only did this with one poi but I'm sure with enough tangling you could easily enough let go of one poi head and catch it a revolution or 2 later because of the balance of the meteor (though half a revolution'd mean the tanlges probably messed up - would that put you in the equivalent position of and inside airwrap confused)

I'd imagine that releases with one poi flying in the air would be far more consistant.

The whip catches'd have to be way more controlled too, I meant if you have the poi in that airwrap to double head catch position when they're wrapped around each other I can already throw them around holding only one poi without too much problem but with them balanced it'd be way easier.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't catch one poi from the air on the other one perpendicular to it and butterfly the caught once or twice, then invert it above your head to have it fly in the air when it unravels. ubbrollsmile ok in theory that is ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think it makes perfect sense DSS. I've been trying these whip catchs for a few weeks and have found loads of variations on them. Plus when you have the airwrap/hyperloop going I've been letting go of the handle to let it do 360 around the tangle and then catch it again. With limited success but it's in there fo sure. I think if both ends were perfectly balanced it would be sweet!! Damn I wish I had the money to buy four aerotechs!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I copied this from the "I learnt a new move thread"

Follow time airwrap release and re-catch left hand and right.
Gilligan airwrap releases

Loads of whip catches from follow or opposite time. Opposite are the easiest. Start with one backwards and one forwards at eather side throw the backward one catch with forward one.

One handed butterfly to throw to forarm catch to "wrap up" to "un wrap" to release to reverse butterfly.
One handed butterfly to same direction un wrap to release. This is the same idea but I wasn't able to get the catch on the other poi to works. I could catch it but couldn't switch my hands to release it. I'm thinking a double wrap is the way forward hence I started using my arm to get used to it.

Airwrap to double catch throw the pair of them around the place using one hand. This is real fun...because the weight is even you can throw them everywhere. Remember to remember which way to go to get out of wrap.

Dodgey outward reels double staff stylee. 2 beat weave double staff styleee....slightly easier. I found the outward reels particularly difficult, they defo need more work.....gotta get the one handed follow time figure 8s working without having to think about it.

Corkscrew to horizontal spinning throw to with one while other goes round the body / legs / neck wrap nun chuka stylee. This is something I hadn't thought of before. ubblove

Lots to play with here....very versatile and exciting ubbrollsmile