Page:
{trm}member
2 posts

Posted:
ok my friend just got me into poi and i allready love it but my only question is what is the best to learn with?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
tennis ball + sock = poi

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
juggling ball + sock = mo' better po.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are really good, far better to learn with than any commercial poi I've seen.

And not just for beginners, a lot of really advanced people do most of their practice with socks.

Apparently they're good for hyperloops (which I can't do) and they're the best poi I know of for going into and getting out of one handed moves, due to the lack of finger loops and their thickness.

Also, when clean, they glow really nicely under UV light.

Vive le sock!!

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I agree with dave, most of the ppl know use sock poi i can't imagine practising and learning new tricks with my beamers (obviously) or my poi with trails.

Long live the sock

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Long Live The Sock indeed

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
I've been meaning to make a set of sock poi for ages but have had a hard time finding any long, straight socks. Anyone got any ideas what sort of shops sell them (in the UK). I'm assuming that football socks would be too thick.

Any help gratefully recieved.

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
as a know-nothing newbie i bought tailed poi for practice ... um. bad idea.

the tails get all tangled because my form is in its ... er, formative stages. it makes me want to throw them down and kick them.

to solve the problem i have tied the tails around the strings several times ... but of course this is not ideal either as it messes with the aerodynamics.

sock poi ... now THAT's an idea!

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
kristie, i made a really good way to get around that problem. On my poi at least, the tails are attached to the ball and can be un-sewn relatively easy. so I un-sewed the tails, and got some sew on velcro that comes in long strips and is about a half inch wide. so sew one side of the velcro where the tails were swen to the ball, and sew the other side of the velcro to the tail, and then tou can take the tails off and on with no hassle and it stays put once you attch them.
hope that helps.

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
i love sock poi, tube socks to be specific.

you can do all sorts of things with them, i can even do hyperloops with them

¿

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by borismcnorris:
I've been meaning to make a set of sock poi for ages but have had a hard time finding any long, straight socks. Anyone got any ideas what sort of shops sell them (in the UK). I'm assuming that football socks would be too thick.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Go to the market and get cheap white sports socks, in Sheffield they're 5 pairs for a pound.

They appear to be too short; you need to put the ball in, hold it between your feet and pull up hard a few times to stretch them.

With spinning use they'll stretch further.

My friend Kato used to bleach his to weaken the fabric so they'd go longer, I don't do this cos I'm happy with the normal length.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by KristieEB:

to solve the problem i have tied the tails around the strings several times ... but of course this is not ideal either as it messes with the aerodynamics.

sock poi ... now THAT's an idea!

A good way to sort out tails is to wrap them round and secure with several ruuber bands so there's none left dangling.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i used my old football socks, from the days when i had to do sport at school, sewed some other socks on the end so they look nice, and filled the ends with some wire balls, which is suprisingly soft,
kinda cool to spin with, cool for doing buzzsaw/handwrap moves.

i really like tails though, really long ones, and apparetly if you learn with tails it improves your style, and they look so cool.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
oh! i like that rubber band idea. i will try it. taking them off and adding velcro really isn't an option with how they are sewn, though it sounds like a great idea for some! thanks!

once i have a move so that i can do it fairly regularly, i do switch over to the tailed poi. i think it helps with your precision because if things aren't JUST right everything gets tangled.

on the other hand i wonder how much the tails actually help stabilize the direction of the poi. my tailed poi look so smooth compared to my chains with wicks! maybe i'm just getting distracted by the shiny tails tho ... *chuckle*

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I like socks with hacky sacks in the ends. Great for learning wraps, and everything else, like BTB moves.

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Try weighted tennis balls... use lead fishing weights or a copper cent. Cut a slit in the top of the ball. punch two holes on either side of the slit and two holes below. thread your rope in through one hole out the bottem and then back through again. stuff your weights through the slit and keep on a scale to get the desired weight. weight the other poi to the smae weight so they are balanced so far, then cement the weights in by pumping in silicon caulking and shaking vigorously. make sure you rebalance both poi on the scale though. These weighted balls are great for learning because they make you concentrate on the technique rather than sheer force. they also help improve your strength, endurance, and will give you good muscle tone if used enough.

Power percieved is power achieved.

poi toymember
9 posts

Posted:
Ive made a set of sock poi with skateboard wheels wraped in socks inside of them, an i love em...morel of the story anything will make a set of poi with a lil adjustment

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I like poi with tails cos you can tell if you've really learnt a move and if it's going smoothly. With sock poi, it's easy to convince yourself that you can do a move when you've only got a really shaky almost version of it and it's much harder to know when you're doing it right.

Yes you get tangles, but tangles are good things because they tell you that you're doing it wrong. The tangle is your friend. I don't think it takes any longer to get a move down well with tails, you're just denied the instant gratification of the badly performed sock poi almost move.

Although, once you start on hyperloops or stuff like that then sock poi or some kind of chain poi are the way to go cos strings just don't wrap round each other very happily.

At spitalfields they sell big long uv poi which are just like sock poi except look pretty and have handles on. They're so much prettier than sock poi and quite cheap too I think.

Joe

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
I think when you first start, something with no tails is neccessary, but after you get the basics down go for something with tails, you wont tangle as much as when you just started so it should cause no problem,

also I beilieve you should practice with the same poi that you perform with so then, performing will be just as easy as practice, not harder.

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I've always practiced with chains, pretty much right from the start I've used them. For a while it was chains with dead glowsticks on the end, than I got my cathedral wicks and I've used them ever since. Unlit they're great, they don't hurt, well at least I've gotten used to them. People always think it hurts when I smack myself in the face, but no, not really, I'm more annoyed I messed up usually. I also like the heavier weight.

but most people would probably dissagree.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
i only heard about using socks this weekend but i'm hooked already! they're perfect for watching the art of poi lessons and practicing at the same time. no more hurriedly running to the garden trying to remember what i just saw!
also they're great for stealth poi, i keep em in my pocket and whip em out during quiet moments at work.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

cKBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I'm going to rummage thru my wardrobe tomorrow i've been saying i'll make some poi outta chain n such for the last few months, but never make it to the hardware store.. this sock idea is perfect. thank you all you lovely people!

You love the middle ages, Don't you?Sir, Yes Sir!!The concept of a Geocentric universe gets you sexually excited, Doesn't it?Sir, Yes Sir!!You want to make 16th century mathematician Johannes Kepler your bitch, Don't you?Sir, Yes Sir!!

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
mmmm, discovered this weekend ... if you just put an old pair of socks over your fire wicks, you not only keep yourself from getting sooty ... you also pad them a bit for practice.

i like this a lot since i am a beginner, because i like having the toy the same for practice as i would use for fire. i don't have the skill yet to really bounce between toys without an "adjustment" period. (for adjustment read bruising/painful/etc.)

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
this is weird. i can't stop the socks from whacking me all the time, especially during the weave. when i spin with my fire poi i don't get bashed at all, thank goodness! anyone else have this problem?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Bam_BamBRONZE Member
Raver X
15 posts

Posted:
Whats the differnce between the cone poi and the sock poi?

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
sock poi has the ability to stretch and you can make it out of socks of youre own choice, while they cone poi from HoP is no stretch and limited to colored and design. i have 2 pair of cone poi with swivels, and i have 3 pair of sock poi.
honestly i prefer the sock poi, but i like switching it up alot between the pair.
In my opinion, the cone poi with no stretch might get you use to spinning fire, over the regular sock poi. but i cant honestly compare because ive yet to spin fire, and id actually would like to practice with the fire poi set before i actually spin it on fire.

NightheronsGOLD Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bam_BamWhats the differnce between the cone poi and the sock poi?

Sock poi: no handles/stretchy
Cone poi: handles/non stretchy

Both are great, it's a matter of preference. Although I started with socks and they hold a dear place in my heart, I now prefer the basic cone poi from this site. I find the non-stretchy material allows more fine control to get clean stalls/ cateyes/ pendulums etc. whereas socks tend to have a little 'bounce' to them (in my hands anyway!).
EDITED_BY: Nightherons (1255660884)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The bounce goes away if you use them for long enough.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

foggy soxGOLD Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
i love oggz poi from flowtoys.com. Oggz's just have the best weight a sick color rotation and they are rechargeable . however they are bit expensive. i do not like the cone poi. sock poi from hop is the best starter set because they are real poi. you can make your own with socks and tennis ball. if you are going to make your own sock poi go and get some girls tights and put tennis balls in them they worked pretty good . but your better off geting them from hop, or get some foggy sox from me, because they are hop socks cut and steamlined with cole cord swivels, and handles. to finish it all off their are oggz inside. For only 40$ usd shiped

ravers dont trip they drop and roll

Ms VanityGOLD Member
fire-uv performer
50 posts

Posted:
i have started with pois flags and chains with sticks!
the problem with flag pois is that you cant do many moves but they look very impressive!

"fire walks with me"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: foggy soxif you are going to make your own sock poi go and get some girls tights and put tennis balls in them they worked pretty good .

I found that tights stretch a bit too much.

Also, why are the sock poi more real than cone poi? That statement makes no sense to me....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: