lateralsplitmember
1 post

Posted:
Hey, does anyone know if those metal wire poi cords on sale at homeofpoi.com are any good for wraps and such?
I am looking for an alternative to chains as they piss me of rrreeet propper! always ruining my reverse butterfly and btb moves

I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery. -Aldous Huxley

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I highly suggest the 13 gauge ballchain, most definitely my favorite chain, and I've used almost every kind...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Cables aren't too great for doing wraps, I tend to find you have to spin very fast to get the things to bend and then they kink. What is it about chains you don't like? Try putting a swivel in if you don't have one, see if that helps.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

dark(ART)member
7 posts

Posted:
I had the same experience with the cables...too kinky. And also agree that #13 ball chain is the way to go...

Question though: How do you keep the bottom link(s) from breaking. I've made more trips to the store for ball chain than I ever have to get more kevlar.

Ideas...

All the world's ailments can be solved with an adequate distribution of condoms and liberal application of 5000lb epoxy.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ballchain is the only way to go for dedicated wrap artists. All the wrappers I know use ball chain.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dark(ART)member
7 posts

Posted:
Your cords/chains take a lot of abuse. Torque, fire, and the stress of weights “possibly” colliding at high speed require special consideration with regard to material and design.

Here’s a summary of the cord/chain materials I've experimented with…anyone else feel free to add in what I’ve left out.

Ball chain (13 & 15grade): Excellent resistance to kinking, built in swivels. Flame tolerant. The chromed or nickel plated brass (NPB) version is commonly available in hardware stores and your friendly neighborhood HOP. Stainless steel (SS) version less available, weighs slightly more, but doesn’t break off at the lower linkage as easy. $.40 to $1.00 per foot USD.

7x7 strand steel cable: Excellent strength for its weight. Flame tolerant, and will not blow out a lower linkage as ball chain does. However, I find this kinks too easily (i.e. no good for wraps or beginners) Swivel connectors recommended.

Kevlar Cord: Excellent strength for weight, Flame resistant, Kinkless, and about $.40 per foot USD. I recommend getting 1/8” to help minimize knotting and tangles…but that’s just me. I also add sheathing to the fire head side to minimize abrasion. Swivel connectors recommended.

High-Tech Line: Going under different product names (VECTRAN, SPECTRA, TECHNORA, DYNEEMA) these Kevlar synthetic weaves provide unmatched strength for a bare minimal weight. But they all have really low resistance to flame. Cost between $.25 and $1.70 per foot USD.

“Other strings”: Of course you can use most anything on a “make shift basis…cotton string, fishing line, and panty hose (long story) will all work sufficiently in a pinch; each suffering from its own weaknesses. Please do not spin fire on a make shift rig…I maybe standing somewhere in the vicinity and would prefer not to be burned.

All the world's ailments can be solved with an adequate distribution of condoms and liberal application of 5000lb epoxy.