vultureninemember
46 posts

Posted:
Hey, I just built my first fire staff. I experimented with some different metals first, mainly aluminum and copper. I found the aluminum to be too lite and the copper seemed about right. It's heavier but seems alright. I made it a little longer than my practice broomstick staff. About 4 feet long. Any opinions on staff length? I lit up on friday night and the flames seemed close but it was my first time and all. Also, I hadn't read too much on people using copper but the aluminum seemed to lite for me. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if the staff bends alot and has a lot of metal pieces connecting it, you could actually have a poi instead.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
erm copper will bend more quickly. and conduct heat better( if i remember anything at all from m degree correctly.)(if not someone can correct me[NYC?])

alu is not too light, cause if you think it so, then you can get thicker guage, or put dowel in, or add more wick, or, or ,or

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ChiggsGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
My staff is aluminium, 55 inches long (bout 140cm) but has wood through the middle for weight.

Also at the ends by the wick there is an extra layer of alu tube round the outside to add a bit more weight to the ends:

Like so:
code:
________ _______
|==============================================|
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
^wider pipe ^alu pole
And then the wicks go around the wider pipe

Chiggs

I love you like you was mine, but respect the thin line.

vultureninemember
46 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice! I think I will just have to use the copper untill it bends and then switch over to aluminum. Does anyone know if you can transfer a slightly used wick to a new staff? Also, any suggestions for places to get thicker aluminum?

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
As far as staff length, that really depends on your size, style and comfort level with the fire.

For myself, I use a 5ft staff. This keeps it long enough for the smoth sweeping style I like, but short enough that I don't hit the ground with that same sweeping style.

As for materials, I currently use a Galvanized steel pipe normally used as electrical conduit. It is fairly strong, and about the same weight as your copper pipe would be. It also conducts heat a fair amount less than copper.

Although currently I am working on a way to isolate the wicking from the staff itself to slow heat transfer even more, as I do tend to work more of the staff than some people, I could use a little more leeway.

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts

vultureninemember
46 posts

Posted:
I think maybe I will try the steel on my next one, I like the weight of the copper but the heat transfer is pretty bad. I have not bent it yet but I have not dropped it while it was lit. What do you think about transfering the slightly used wick from my copper staff to another staff? It seems like it will transfer fine but I would love an opinion from someone who has done this before. Thanks!

kazanewbie
29 posts

Posted:
You can transfer your wick no probelms by the sound of it. I evevn know people who use the wick and then take it off and turn if round so the fresh stuff is on the outside again.

vultureninemember
46 posts

Posted:
Again, Thanks for the info! This forum stuff is ****in awesome! I guess I don't need to say Thanks! everytime someone responds I am just so happy to get a little help.

ToXiC_staffmember
14 posts

Posted:
yo, the first staffs I put together were 1500cm copper pipes.. they were quite expensive, and super heavy, but I was only using one at the time.. all was going fine for a couple of burns but then i stupidly asks my friend who was using it "have ever tried any throws?"..

it went up ,down and hit the ground hard.. and became bowed & unusable.. now i use aluminum ,it may be lighter but it is far more durable and i can get 5 metres for $16.. and the dude will cut it to any lengths for me..
now i use 2x 1300cm staffs with 2.5inch wicks (i think i might upgrade to 4in some time soon)..

anyway how much does copper cost compared to aluminum where you live?

We live in the land of the long white cloud..
and in the city with the giant cone..
-someone on RDU

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ToXiC_staff:
yo, the first staffs I put together were 1500cm copper pipes.. they were quite expensive, and super heavy, but I was only using one at the time..
no wonder they were heavy at that length

i thought 3.5m was long

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

vultureninemember
46 posts

Posted:
Hey, I hadn't checked the forum for a few days and was suprised and pleased to see some more responses. The copper was about $1 a foot. I don't know what the thickness is but definetly heavier than my practice broom stick staff. I have grown fond of using a heavier staff. I am still using it and have dropped it at least 10 times while it was hot. I have not noticed too much bend so far. I do let it cool off a bit in between but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

ToXiC_staffmember
14 posts

Posted:
ok ok .. im sorry i meant 150cm or 1.5m

I dont think I could handle a staff longer than 1.5 meters.. 3.5m is close to twice my height (no vertical spins, eh?)

We live in the land of the long white cloud..
and in the city with the giant cone..
-someone on RDU