Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, I have been playing my fire toys with Kerosine forever, but lately I have been fire dancing next to the pool at an outside club for some work, and a few older people have been complaining about the kerosine smell, plus, I am not used to a constant 3 hours of swinging and it's been making me a bit dizzy... I there anything better to use?? They said that if people complaing again next week that I have to move to glow-sticks and I swing because I love the fire around me, so I would love love love some suggestions!!(nothing against the glow-stick/beaming poi people--personal preference)Happy Swinging!!

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Ya, kerosene does suck. I recall several months ago some people talking about turpintine? Here on the discussion site... and hey, anyone tried hempy products yet? good luck Sacha!

Fairie's wear boots.

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Ya, kerosene does suck. I recall several months ago some people talking about turpintine? Here on the discussion site... and hey, anyone tried hempy products yet? good luck Sacha!

Fairie's wear boots.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Turpentine is toxic....equals burning plastic which in my neck of the American woods is illegal, not to mention stinky.You might want to try lamp oil.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Pele,What's in the lamp oil you use? The lamp oil available in shops in Australia is usually 98% kerosene, 2% citronella oil. Is this the stuff you mean? I've used it a few times. It burns just like kero and has quite a nice smell (due to the citronella) but is about twice the price of kero. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey all, While we have the Kero lamp oil you are talking about Finn we also have a kind that is liquid parafin which isn't nearly so bad to spin with as Kero or White Gas derivitives. I think the White Gas isn't as bad as Kero and the lamp oil isn't as bad as White Gas. I usually soak the wicks in the lamp oil then dip it in Kero or Coleman fuel to help a quick light. I don't spin inside often so really the cost of it, which is more expensive, doesn't play a part for me as the stuff lasts awhile for me.And before anyone asks I will say it isn't good for fire eating/blowing since they use additives in it to make it smokeless and odorless which has actually sent people I know to the emergency room after one use, and they didn't swallow it.I think that any alternative you are looking at along these lines you are going to find is more pricey but I think you need to weigh out what is more important to you....the money or the smell? I think in Sacha's case the money would be worth spending if fire is that important. In the end, it's fire. It's going to smell and smoke no matter what you use. There is very little we can do about that unfortunately. I fear every dream job has to have a drawback, and this is it for us fire bugs....definately worth it to me. Though Sacha, if the complaints keep coming in I would grade down to non-fire poi. As much as I love fire, the act of spinning is what's important to me. Part of show professionalism is a willingness to give a little. Being paid to poi on a consistent basis is something that alot of people on this site would jump for in an instant. Those of us who have that opportunity are very blessed and should be thankful for that degree of interest in what we love to do, fire or not.Best to all, good luck in your search. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
yeh. I oftn get gigs where they have had or seen a fire twirler b4 and they ask me if i use kero, big noooooooo. Its a courtesy on behalf of the performer to ensure the audience is not gassed out! Also firewater tends not to set off ssmoke alarms, which helps. Even for outside gigs it's a 50-50 mix cos i hate the stuff. Last week i ran out of breathing fuel and had to use 50-50, and MY GOD that stuff is RANCID, i cant believe people fire breathe pure kero. Though expensive, avoiding kero is theeeeee way to go if you are considering making cash out of this.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I like a mix of half kero and half white gas. It lights easily and burns for a decent amount of time, smokes less and is less smelly. For indoor performances, my troupe has takes to using pure white gas. It doesn;t spit, barely smokes, hardly smells, and has a nice bright flame. The only downside is that is burns out after only a couple of minutes. Still, a quick dip into the pot, and it's ready to go again. For a fun lighting technique, fill your mouth with gas from a cigarette lighter (keep your mouth sealed in back with your tongue and breathe through your nose). Light the lighter, hold it above your mouth, and push the gas out with your tongue. It'll make a lovely flame a couple of inches high, which will light your equiptment if held few inched above the lighter with your other hand. Bad explanation, nice effect.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy...if you soak in lamp oil and then do a quick dip in white gas, you will still get the relatively smokeless effect, with a quicker ignite and longer lasting burn.Kerri, weren't you and someone else on the other board complaining about the fire water making your mouth tingle inside? I can say Kero doesn't do that to me and I kind of take comfort in that. Honestly, I haven't had issues with Kero and I have drank moonshine that tasted worse, besides, firewater isn't avaibale here to try anyway.We in the U.S. have to stick with the standards or get experimental...and this is an area where I limit my experimentation...as far as holding fuels in my mouth I mean. My less than $.02.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Middeonmember
7 posts

Posted:
Fire Water is good to use but is also expensice $12/Lthat is including postage.it is made specially for fire juggling/twirlingyou can also try Shellite but this fuel is cheap but it is also very dangerous as it is petrol based.i use a mix 1/4 kero1/2 shellite1/4 Methotry ithave fun------------------**~~~~**

**~~<M!DEON>~~**

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Hi Pele, yes I did mention how firewater makes my nerves tingle. Seems to be a common sensation amongst people who use it. But I know a guy who only breathes kerosine, And i had nt seen him for a while, bumped into him on the tram and he did not look too good, and had given it up on doctors orders. I'm sure i'm only a few years behind him tho. Have devised a theory that if you basically remove the first few layers of skin afeter the gig, you tend not to tingle! Not sure whether to laugh or cry at thatone.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys...especially Pele, your right, I am greatful to have twirling as a job, and a few days ago, I played half the time glow-sticks, and half the time with fire, and mixing it up a bit let the air clear, and everyone loved it!!!! I will keep trying to find that perfect fuel in the meanwhile, so thanks for the suggestions!!Peace out, and Happy Twirling!!