Forums > Technical Discussion > THIS is what I call sparkles !!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Not as spectacular as steel wool but definitely more elegant.

For all the fairies out there - Sparkle Staff - and wait till you see it with POI !

feel free to discuss . . .

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Very nice.

What is it?

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
That's really beautiful. Nice work!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what would be cool is if you could do that with a pair of flaming butterflies! now that would be sweet!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
love to see the movie but apparently its got a "bad public movie atom" in it (?)
My computer may be having one of its "episodes" again but I know that it can definitly play mpegs, any chance of another version?

(Bet that you're using titanium flakes! CRACKLE !!)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by squarefish:
love to see the movie but apparently its got a "bad public movie atom" in it (?)

That's a classic!

Who thinks up these error messages?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I couldnt see the moive either

[image]https://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_7787783//Yahoo!+Photo+Album/fireworkpoi.jpg?grR5mb_AqC21RlM0[/image]

does this count

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
How did you do it, I want one.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
yeah u HAVE to tell us how its done

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
I've seen this movie before. I remember the all to familiar sound of myself going "Whoa...."

Any idea how it's done? Thats gotta be some crazy shtuff there. Maybe that's what happens when you put lil pixies on your wicks.

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
frosty your close but still way cold

6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey poiboxII, i may have to ask you extend the courtesy of crediting and acknowledging the lovely ozland twirlers who had to worked to provide the performance, video and bandwidth for us all....
thank yoo!

ps you could probs even contact them for tips directly! I have only seen them once in the flesh, and could not remember much of that night..

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
That looked absolutely amazing.

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
frosty 3/4 of the fun of this is thinking up weird stuff to do. If I told you what fun would that be ? come one expand your mind start thinking outside of the box .no one here is normal

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Man, I've waited 5 days and still no beans have been spilt...

still waiting...

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Looks to me as if they had fireworks attatched to there staff.
Those fountain things that sparkle for a while and can allso be used to decorate food in restaurants.

Just a thought.

6,978 posts

Posted:
they remind me of

https://www.theflamingbutterflies.com/

the credit and bandwidth belong to
Alan Star & Caron Mason

catchus@theflamingbutterflies.com

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
looks like the sparks you get off sparklers that you wave around on nov 5th (if you're english anyway)

i reckon if i got about 20 in a bundle (2 bundles) and attached them to come chain then it would look similar

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
hate to tell you bender, they're the same people.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

6,978 posts

Posted:
hmmm it explains why they have the same names!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Forau
You are so close. I am shocked your nose isnt on fire.buuuuuuttt thats still not it.

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
There are loads of things that would likely have similar effects, e.g.,if the staves had their ends dipped in a pyrotechnic composition, like what sparklers get dipped in, then dried and lit, or using a fairly normal wick with tiny metal flakes and hot-burning fuel, or attaching simple fireworks to the ends (could it just be a cluster of sparklers?), anything where teeny bits of metal are mixed with something that burns hot enough to ignite it, like sparkle powder wrapped in fuse, or just sparkling fuse, or... heh... sounds like I should start experimenting. I'll probably never figure out what the flaming butterflies are using but I might find three new things on the way. I wonder what it would cost me to order all this stuff? Official guess from me would have to be sparklers , since they're omnipresent, cheap, and obvious.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
wow...we've done sparkly poi with steel wool before but it doesn't quite look like that. What is on there?

Always Beautiful

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
that was so cool , i would love to know what that is

¿

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Pyrate
very good your getting the dirft the 3 things
you find while searching for something you saw are always the best three. I always say something truely isnt yours unless you made it .
did you think about pepper? yes the black pepper you eat it makes nice sparkles as well .

Now that I feel I expanded at least one mind I will let the cat out of the bag for you lazyier people

Yes it was fire works sparklers are for whimps ::laughs:::::: We had this kicking 4th of july party with the badest fireworks once all the cool stuff the blows up was gone all we had left was this lame box full of fountains they were the kind that shoot up like 10 ft into the air. I strapped two of them onto my fire chains (without wicks ) and started spinning.
if your try this be super careful the sparks are real hot and will burn the crap out of you.
it looks super cool the pic i posted was really lame to how it looked in real time .they missed the pic when the fountains were shooting out like 8 different colors at the same time .

Play safe
Riz

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info Riz. Black pepper? That's an interesting one, do you use it ground up or as whole peppercorns? Do you mix it with something or does it just burn?

Your fountains look great but I was actually guessing about the flaming butterfly video from the initial post on this thread. Looking back in the thread I see you said you can't see their video so I'll elaborate a little. Their staves have a smaller sparkle effect that leaves a silvery sparkling trail behind instead of big wheels and roostertails. They do some cool two-person symetrical spinning with an effect rather more magic-ey and less badass than steelwool or your fountain poi. Frostypaw might be right about silver rain fireworks, but I just watched the vid again and noticed at the end you can see the ends of their staves, and they just look like normal wicks, so maybe it's just sparkle powder and normal fire. PoiBoxII doesn't seem to be saying.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
quote:
PoiBoxII doesn't seem to be saying
Sorry, but PoiBoxII has no idea !!!!!!

Just found it on the Butterfly homepage and thought it would be a nice thing to discuss . . .
Anyway: What has not been mentioned here before. When he lights the staff on one side, both sides start burning so it must be something more advanced than the attachment of simple fireworks.
cheers

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's a hollow staff dripping with the fuel and hence flame running down the centre of the staff as noted here

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Ayanakaimember
2 posts
Location: Small blue planet, western spiral arm, milky way g...

Posted:
Thankyou everyone for your kind words, It feels warm to think that we may be inspirational in a way. Two thankyou's in particular, Andy for bringing this thread to our attention and Bender for respectfully crediting our work.

Lots of love, boomboom, Alan & Caron.

https://www.theflamingbutterflies.com

" ...when the magician shares his secrets, the magic is lost "

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Don't know if anyone has said this yet; I just scrolled through, reading bits and pieces, but apparently, steel wool has that effect... but it's ver big, and limits your ability to do tricks. Also, the finer the grade, the better the sparks! Just look at Demios's pics here in the gallery, and you'll know which are the steel wool pics!

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes... many of us are familiar with steel wool, which has a great effect, but these sparks are just... different Multi-colored, clean, and safe indoors and in close areas.

Page: