DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Being a big guy, vertically, i started with poi very long, and i love them like that, i like how slow they can go while keeping momentum, they make for large fun weaves and wraps. But, i've been trying to learn some moves recently that require smaller handles, but i don't want to cut up my ballchain and tieing knots in it is geting annoying. Plus, in a proformance i don't want to stop to tie knots, or switch to smaller chains SO, I thought of the idea of putting a second set of handles a little further up on the chains for ideal short poi length, while keeping the longer handles at ideal 'long poi length'. I realize if i have problems with long chains but don't want to cut them i can simply do hand wraps but i've grown accustum to my double loops, so i was thinking doing handwraps and stratigically put my fingers in when they are close enough... I've got a few ideas of how i could do this, but nothing definate, i'm just throwing around the idea... What do you guys think?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
interesting idea.. i never thought about that too much. The only problem i can forsee is when you grab onto the mid-handles the rest of the chain that is attached to the normal handles could get in the way and tangled up...
usually when i want to shorten my chains during spinning i just do reverse circles or weave and sorta open my hands palm up. then you can just wrap the chain around your hands and viola, shorter chains.
-- jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Sounds like it's worth trying out. I'd be a little concerned that the midpoint grips would create tangles when you're using the chains at full length, but no way to know without trying.

Another idea--attach small leather sleeves at the midpoint (wire them on or something). That would be less tangle-prone and give you something better than chain to grab onto.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Thats an idea, leather sleaves. But as far as the handles causing it to tangle, they won't be hanging off, they'd basically be a part of the chain. Picture Ball Chain attached to a QuickLink, attached to a double loop handle, at the end of those handles put another quick link, and attach that to the next ball chain... perhaps? i'll have to look into that leather idea, it'd help out as far as raw grip goes.

BTw if i'm not mistaken a "welcome back adam" is in order, i heard about you...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I second the welcome back, adam!

Leather sleeves sound like a good idea. The sides of my index fingers always hurt when I buzzsaw from the ballchain rubbing up against them, and I'm getting impatient waiting for my calluses to come in. Gonna try that when I get home tonight.

(Gotta love living in a household where there are always spare tools and leather scraps just laying around.)

E pluribus unum, baby.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hummmm.

Im really against double loops, the feeling of controle is illusionary, you cant take them off in a hurry and it takes longer to get your key-grip sorted out.

I have had friends burnt cos there wings melted thier nylon double loops and when i get it wrong with fire poi I want to be able to let go!

Coleman said "Key-grip is the grip of kings!" and i agree with him, its soo much better for directing the poi, works at any length and with all poi, makes throws much easier aswell as that dastardy buzzsaw isolation.

Yes, I do have two lovely callouses along my forfingers, but it didnt take long to get them, i also now have forarms of steel, another benifit.

have you thought about how your gonna get your fingers in and out of thoes loops whilst spinning?

the only place i think they works is maybe on glowsticks, to leave the fingers free for handcuff wraps and the like, but i dont know if even this is nessecary.

If you feel like loops re-assure you that they wont go flying off, im sorry it sounds rude but practice more.

rant over.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
mmmm, can't you just shorten the chains whilst you spin by wrapping them around your hands? That's how i (and most people?) do buzzsaw moves with long chains, it's easy to shorten them just by openning your hand during a reverse swing. It sucks with cable poi, but with ball and link chain it shouldn't hurt your hands.

Having a handle half way down would really mess with hyperloops too.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
thought about it abit but never got around to it. like adam said smaller peices of leather not full handles would be the go

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Actually the reason i thought of this was because i was spinning on a warm night and my hands were sweaty so when i did hand wraps i didn't have a good grip.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Some times when I do hand wraps I wrap around only two fingers, it gives more variation to the length and I feel i can hold it tighter and have more control.
Now, when you switch to using the mid-handles, would you let go of the original handels?Cause I can deffinately see those being a hazard if them and half the chain just hang there.
Also, on the other running topic, my hands are no stranger to callouses (cello, guitar, poi) and I find that they tend to attract and hang on to soot, so i end up scrubbing them off in the shower

P*L*U*R

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I agree with [Nx].... how you gonna get in and out of them?

So much fire, so little body hair...

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I would get into them doing handwraps but instead of holding onto chain i would put my fingers in the handles, and then the chain wrapped around the hand would loosen up, but not be letgo of.