Forums > Technical Discussion > Fireproof Clothing.....for Men :o

Login/Join to Participate

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I've been doing some searches, both in these forums and on the web, concerning fireproof clothing for men. Now I don't claim to be the master of internet searching, so maybe something slipped past me, but I can't seem to find anything, no retailers or whatnot. I just did a "show" for the new student welcome festivities and I realized that despite not practicing them my wraps are in fairly good shape and would definitly add to my overall performance (not that I preform much, but hey, I could more in the future). What I'd like is some kind of longsleeved "fire proof"/retardant shirt. Pants would be nice, I wear carharts which seem to work alright but leather would be better.

So can anybody help me out? All I can find are skirts and the like. I mean sure, I look hot in a skirts, but it takes a women, or good drag queen, to move well in one.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Yeah, as far as clothing goes I think the male species got the arse end of the deal - both metaphrically and literally.

Ever thought of making your own? Could probably pick up a second hand sewing machine on the cheap. Wool is good to sew fire clothes with - warm in winter, coolish in summer, good fire resistance. Or, for arm protection during wraps you could just buy some woolen socks, cut the foot part off, and whack 'em on your arms.

Don't make clothes out of cheese though.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I did consider that, read about it a bit, however when it comes to burning objects and my precious skin I don't feel safe using something I made. I'd kind of like to, if possible, get something somebody who knew what they were doing made, I'm not the type to trust

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
If u have any friends that have a fire blanket in there house and get it replaced with no questions asked if it goes missing ( or he says take that and make some sleeves so u can do wraps)get someone to whip some sleeves up on a sowing machine and hey presto.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
actually i did a lot of searching a while back and most of the sites i found were in the US.

Search for sites which supply work wear to welders, and companies who sell clothing to racing drivers. Both need fireproof/retardant clothing, and they hafta get it somewhere. Just stick "flame retardant welding pants" in google and you'll get loads of sites.

If you're on the lookout for something to do arm wraps with, see if you can find kelvar sleeves. They cost just 4 pounds in the UK.

My problem is that So far i've only found retardant trousers that are tight fitting, but i've in the last week aquired a sewing machine and am on the lookout for a company selling some nice bright fireproof material to make my own with.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Wow, thanks for tip flid, I'm finding all sorts of interesting stuff, decent prices too. Though green seems to be a popular color, have yet to find anything else!

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I wonder if these flame retardant suits are retardant enough to have a bit of fuel poured over them and not burn through.

Imagine, you do an arm wrap and fire shoots down your arm. That would be wicked.

Joe

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Why don't you just wear what you like and purchase a flame retardant dip that is safe for all fabrics? This can be purchased from interior designs places or from fire safety suppliers.

And what is wrong with tight weave cotton? Never had a problem with that myself. Wear a denim shirt, or the like.

Leather, that is another, though more expensive option. However, lasts long and is highly fashionable.

There is alot that is safe out there that is not so heavy or specific as what you are discussing.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it would seem that what I'm looking at is quite heafty stuff, plus green?? Have they no taste at all

So this dip will work? When it comes to my safetly with firepoi I havn't yet relied on anything I myself have made or altered, only bought stuff at this online store. I'll have to look into interior design places and maybe see what I can find in leather. What are the affects of the dip? I don't want to hurt my precious carharts

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
3 reasons. I already use thick demin trousers for wraps, but am bored of just spinning with jeans. I'm vegan, so can't use leather. Finally this ficticious spray/dip is like that annoying ingrediant in recipe books which the author has a huge display of in her supermarket and they are practically giving it away, but sadely doesn't exist anywhere else.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The dip is available at fire safety supply places. The one here in my town carries 3 varieties. Kerri from Fireworks Dance in Melbourne Australia uses it on her nylon clothing and performs in it, with no adverse results, though obviously she has a different supplier.
I know that Maelstrom had a link on it in Cleveland as well. Also check stunt suppliers as I am sure they carry it, along with the gels and stuff.
It is not myth if you look hard enough.

I will say that it leaves a weird whitish hue to things, and after a washing things need to be re-dipped, but it does work.

I can not imagine a carhart not being heavy enough on it's own however. If the fear of burning is that strong, then why do fire at all?

Oh, and Joe, retardant means they will hold off flames for a short bit. I garuntee if you put fuel on those and light them up, they will burn like any other wick.

Pele

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
You challenge the carharts, nobody challenges the carharts

No fear of doing fire, the normal respect of course, I just want to do all my wraps with fire. Sometimes the cathedrals catch and I want to have a little longer window before the damage sets in. Just exploring the possibilities.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh...you mean HEAT REFLECTING clothing rather than fire-proof?

The two can be very different things....

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, yes, I would wouldn't I? Well that definitly would change things, it would appear that I'm flying in the dark here. What do people use that inables them to do wraps while lit?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Bare skin. It is the safest thing I have used so far, and of all 3 scars I have on my arms, they are not from cathedral wraps. Learn to do them more smoothely without hooking them .

I understand that going back to the welders sleeves are a very popular choice, as are leather bracers.

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know of the burning properties of hemp? Currently the only hemp thing I own is my hat and I like it to much to light it on fire to see how it burns.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Processed cloth burns similar to cotton, depending on the weave.
The burlap rope feeling kind smoulders really well, as it has alot of fray/loose ends that like to catch.
Sometimes is is more like straw, and fire likes that kind!

Pele

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
Anyone know of a supplier for Kevlar/Nomex fabric?

I have found a bunch of places to buy uniforms made out of Nomex, but would like to have some fabric to play with, make my own outfits with...

Any clues?

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
I had a thought to search for a nonburning-burning
dress such as actors have in scens when something
blows-up.They run in difrent directoins all in flames (also with had) _THis IS a real Joan Dark fire-show-aaa if some one had some info about this special dress give a prv msg.
This shoud look preety nice siting in some coffe
restaurant than soudlny a man wity scream in his mouth run ,and some guys after him ..... heppening

Each man, one weight;Each horse, one stand;Each church, one border;Each master to his own technique.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Biale...it is not just one special thing, it is layers that out of film looks clunky and bad.
It is an underlayer of heat resistant cloth. A kevlar suit is over that, and a special gel is put on somewhere in there. And this is the mild version of the protection they wear. Sometimes they have other stuff on. Then they are set alight for short periods of time, extinguished by men with and extinguisher and by stop drop and roll methods.

Seems like an aweful lot to go through for a
stage show but if you must, a google search for stunt supplies might help.

Pele