MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for a while now, and I believe I'm a good enough spinner to try fire poi for the first time. I have quite a few questions, some may be absurd, but bear with me

Before I go out and buy my fire equipment, I want to try some poi with either cloth, paper towels or toilet paper. How do you suggest I construct something like that? I was considering just taking a rag, folding it nicely, make a hole in one of the sides and sticking the D-Ring on my poi chains through it. I might glue certain points of the rag together to make sure it doesn't unravel while spinning. It would only have to last a spin or two, 3 or 4 at the most, as I have a million rags and tons of extra time. Will a home placed an inch and a half or so away from the edge of cloth be sufficient for holding it on? Consider it would be doubled up quite a few times.

After researching fuels, I've decided to go with Lamp Oil. I'm looking around online, just to see prices, and everything looks like lamp oil I'd want to put in a lamp, not burn. I know that sounds silly, but what I mean is that it's either scented, colored, comes in small quantities, or seems too pure to be used for something like lighting poi. Is $20.00 US expensive for a gallon of lamp oil?

How would you suggest attaching a home made fire poi head that doesn't have a nifty strap like the ones from HOP have? Should I do what I said earlier and just thread my D-link through a self-made hole? Any ideas are appreciated.

[ 30. August 2003, 16:36: Message edited by: MillenniuM ]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Some good construction info here.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
This is a personal opinion so take no notice if you like.

If you are going to construct a set of fire poi heads for your very first burn, i personally dont think thats the best idea. If i were you, id buy a set of proper fire poi which you know are safe.

Its all well and good to construct a set of poi heads once you've had a good few spins so you get a feel for fire (ive been spinning for a while but still wouldnt even consider making my own fire heads) but for a first burn, a set of professional chains would be the best idea.

Just my opinion!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Leaping crap, man! $20 US? In my opinion, that's a friggin fortune for fuel. Maybe being canadian factors in here...
Anyways, I get my fuel for 6 or 7 bucks canadian from a local hardware store and it last a good while.
Also, making homemade paper wicks is a very bad idea. I mean, if you were gonna soak it in fuel it would fall appart, if not it would just burn for a few seconds, turn to ashes then fall appart.
You would have to know alot about what you're doing with the rags. maybe soak them in water first to test how well the would hold the fuel and if it wouldn't just drip all over the place.
I think your best bet would be to get the actual fire heads, and shop around for cheaper fuel (though lamp fuel is a prime choice.)
Cheers!

P*L*U*R

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I followed the instructions given and made my own heads, with a few adjustments (I made them stronger by linking them in 3 places, as well as made a few lines of glue to keep the whole thing together.

Beth: Thanks for the advice. My chains are professionally constructed, I purchased the materials from HOP, and I know they are fire proof. The only home made part is the head, which seems like it'll do well. I'm going to spin with it for a few days before lighting up. I just spun them now and the weighting feels nice, not a lot of drag, and doing some fairly advanced moves I never hit myself or my poi together at all.

One more question: Is hand wrapping possible while doing fire poi, or does the stainless steel ballchain get too hot? In case you're not familiar with hand wrapping, it's where you're spinning, usually in reverse, and have the chains do circels around your palms, shortening the length of your chains by having them wrap around your hands. Some of my transitions use hand wraps and I was wondering if that would be impossible unless I used gloves.

If some of you could all post the prices that you pay for your fuel that would be fantastic, thanks.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You could hand wrap if ya wore some leather gloves. Otherwise I wouldnt recommend doing it because the chains will be hot.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
You can hand wrap with fire poi even without gloves, ball chain doesn't get so hot (unless maybe you handwrap right up against the heads). Play around wrapping closer and closer to see what you're comfortable with.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
When I wrap I either go all the way to the head (That's for a little reverse weave > corcscrew > butterfly combo) or about 1/2 of the way down for a corcscrew... good idea about just playing around with it, sounds like a good idea.

Is a fire blanket an absolute *MUST* have? I just went to the hardware store, got some Lamp Oil, a fire extinguisher, and some buckets for soaking/spinning off. When I'm finished spinning and I want to put the fire out, could I smother it with a large beach towel? Would that work, or should I wet the beach towel?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A proper fire blanket is not that expensive. A wool blanket such as a horse blanket, and military blanket or some such thing is also very useable. A beach blanket tends to be thin and not a tight weave, so it is not an ideal choice. Nor is dampening it which can lead to steam burns when smothering tools.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I got my fire retardant blanket here . I'd say it's a must have - it's only $15 and at the very least, it makes you feel so much more comfortable to know that it's there in your spotter's hands just in case.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if your fire poi get too hot with handwraps, perhaps an elcheapo set of gardening gloves may be in order.
perform fountains and weed the rose garden without changing clothes!
for a week!
yay for not washing!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I have a very old but very nice pair of leather work gloves... they have a small hole in the pointer finger on each glove, maybe I'll remove 3/4 of the pointer finger and middle finger's glove so I can keep full control but still have the protection of gloves.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Ball chain disipates heat beautifully.

I can grab mine during a burn within a few inches of the head and they are barely warm.

Cable heats up much further

So much fire, so little body hair...

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
ball chain is great for wraps. not only does it dissapate the heat but it is great for wrapping and unwrapping wraps. i cant seem to find the ballchain thats in the shop though in any local stores . that kinda limits me from building new toys because i have to actually plan them out the order the chain from the HOP shop. i actually came up with a really cool mutli wick design using ball chain so they'll be flexable enough to wrap. im dying to build a set!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I spun fire for the first time ever tonight. No problems whatsoever, save for a slight tangle while leg wrapping, but nothing bad happened, no burned clothing or skin. I went down to the beach with some friends and spun fire with my home made heads and lamp oil. Since I was using towel and they soak up a TON of fuel my burn times were incredibly... two seperate burns, each lasting 4-5 minutes.

Unfortunately I could only get 1 burn out of each set of poi I made, and after burning the first pair I drove home, made another set, drove back, and burned yet again. Amazing fun, especially with a crowd of 30-ish people around you