Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
Have just been reading Charle's historical extract (lol crackhead!!) and for some strange reason found myself craving japanese sushi.
(Wanders off into distance)

(comes running back frantically waving arms yelling No wait - dont leave!!!)
Ah yeah, the other thing it made me think of which i would be interested to see what other ppl say about (grammatical correctness !!)

On what sort of surface do people prefer to twirl on? I generally twirl on either a beach, or in my backyard (so sand and grass) and both have their setbacks.... Charles mentioned Aoetoa Square, which myself being a former (and still technically..) newzealander, i know that this is concrete.
So whats the deal? Do people have preferences? I have heard some crazy stories about people lugging round their own mats of carpet!!???
So.... what thinks the rest of you??

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I prefer concrete or other hard surfaces so I can include unicycling as part ofd th eperfomrance, and draw black lines and circles with the wick when telling tales or getting volunteers to stand places...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i love to spin on grass with no shoes or socks on!esp when the grass is a lil wet!

or ona beach yeah thats good, but i dont really care abouts were i spin so long as its agood feeling place, ilove to spin even while walking around>!

Step (el-nombrie)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I like spinning on grass, or a hard suface.

I find with sand i start to sink into it (esspecially wet sand)

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I like a nice firm surface for spinning on - something like grass or concrete. My sense of balance on my feet is bad enough as it is, I don't need any help falling over

I think deep, dry sand is the hardest to spin on, because I'm just not used to having the floor shift underneath me when I take a step

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Anything hard and flat. I don't really like grass that much because I use to spin on the same small part of my back yard every day, and being new to poi I didn't move around much and after a while the grass in that area seemed to be dying so I moved my spinning to the break water area.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there's something about warm grass brushing between my bare toes that just makes me smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
grass all the way, bare feet is even better and if the grass is slighly wet and there is a mystical mist and a twilight moon.....welllllll..that is sex!!!!!!

cheers

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm lush dry grass and bare feet....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

LuxBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
I was twirling on a beach on the isle of wite with a cloudless sky masses of stars and firm damp sand underfoot and nothing else, it might have been the weed aswell but it was amazing... other than that anywhere at night where i can lean my head back and watch the stars with nothing else in veiw.

sola_sarahBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
i'm personally a big fan of grass
because i find that on concrete, if i drop my staff the kevlar starts to frey, and the wood gets worn down

but for poi, anything that is flat will do.

one thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BOB MARLEY-

Jamesomember
7 posts

Posted:
yeah my staff got frayed something shocking when i took it to a friends party who live just round the corner, and all his little brothers friends tried it, they were girls what am i meant to do, say no? and it got dropped on the cobble bluestone heaps, and now the ends are battered and frayed... time for new ones i think

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Jameso, methinks you need cute-girl-proof™ equipment!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
I know how you feel Jameso - my wicks are shockingly frayed - so much so that the fraying ends spin like poi after my staff.
(well not really , but it sounds impressive... )

Is there a way of stopping that from happing?
(Im looking at you charles - as a concrete man, and a newzealander i expect you to be smart and know stuff )

lol

M

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway