Forums > Technical Discussion > what other lighted poi should malcolm sell

Login/Join to Participate

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
we all know he should have electroglow, and many of us think he should sell streetlights and photons. what else should he stock?

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark1:
we all know he should have electroglow, and many of us think he should sell streetlights and photons. what else should he stock?
I should think he's only going to want to stock stuff that's not going to break easily, otherwise there'll be loads of returns.

So that'll be things like beaming poi rather than streetlights.

Then again, people do buy these things from other sites, so maybe HOP could have a section of the shop which has a big disclaimer saying that these things will tend to break if used as poi?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Can't you buy some sort of protection device for street lights?

KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
yes you can!! they're called deflectors and I think at this moment you can only get them at a place called Neon Husky (but I think they make them themselves) they're basically strong plactic tubes that keep the streetlights from smacking into things

Vagueness defines everything...

342 posts

Posted:
i found that the deflector sold on neon husky actually make the streetlights more susceptible to breakage. however, if you wrap a double layer of weather stripping around the bottom and top in a thin strip, it makes an effective bumper. i haven't even cracked one since doing it. what about photons microlights, they have a section of their forum devoted to spinning and they are fun, despite the fact that they must be weighted.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
Does anyone use krill lights (https://www.kriana.com/)? Are they any good?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Krill lights have been discussed a lot. Very prone to breaking, expensive, and heavy.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
I know this sounds dumb but more then likly really spendy but fiber optics?. and somthing all devilstickly glowy thingy

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
While I love the beamers, what I would like to see is something that is:

1) Safe (i.e. light enough to not kill you if it hits you)
2) Bright
3) Available in a number of colors
4) Durable (duh)
5) And it would be really cool if I could just pop it on the end of my chains.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
fibre optic filament isn't really that expensive, atleast if your using the stuff meant soley for decorating models and mood lights and stuff (the communications stuff can be pricey) But really they block to much light to be effective for spinning. The mood lights have a powerful halogen bulb under them and they really don't give off that much light, but ive never really had much of a chance to play around with the expensive fibre optic stuff so it might be a feasible way of diffusing light when combined with high-intensity LED's.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'd like to see a couple more LEDs in the beamers, make them seriously bright.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Something that is definitely missing:

Those "High Intensity Orange Glowsticks"

Then HOP would be the only store I would shop
- I know they are expensive, but IT IS worth it.

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
quote:
I'd like to see a couple more LEDs in the beamers, make them seriously bright.

Maybe some different colours like green and red in the same ball

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
could something be done with EL wire (coolneon.com)?

i can imagine putting the battery pack in the center of some protective material and wrapping the wire around the outside. the battery pack would add some weight and the elwire comes in many colors.

has anyone experimented with this?

kristie

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
I saw a guy with battery packs in each hand, and the wire wrapped around his hands, doing liquid moves. pretty cool.

--Luke

342 posts

Posted:
I just found one prop all spinners should have
its a hacky sack that glows in a cycle of red green blue. I got two and put on my poi and spun It looke like these out of this world spheres circleing my body in patterns my hands dictate. Its like those cartoony transformation effects, but soo much cooler. I have universal agreement that they are the best lighted poi ever, and they are meant to be hacky sacks, so durability is not a problem.

check them out at www.houseofrave.com, they're the rainbow in motion fun sacks.

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
I just stopped in to a local store here in the US and found a whole bunch of what they call "Happy Campers" I've bought them online at different places and when I've tried to sling them they've gone to poo. BUT!! These ones are much different. The casing, battery casing, knobs, and light shafts are much more durable. They are made by a company called Garrity. They're stationed in Madison CT,Usa. Just a thought for you guys to search on! I've spun these things multiple times without mishap. They even have a lil loop at the top of the knob for putting lace through. CHECK IT OUT!

Nate

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Hehe, found 'em Here

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
i tried everyone of the online sites mentioned and couldn't find a single one that carried those.

they are cool, and they MUST be available, because i borrowed some just like that from a guy we were camping near.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The link above for house of rave does, although they are called "happy campers" there.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
ok how about here ...

https://www.garritypromo.com/funtastick.html

perhaps malcom should order some with HomeofPoi on them

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
The 5-minute high intensity orange glow sticks are a MUST have!! They may be more expensive than regular glow sticks, but they are amazing!! I've fooled people into thinking I'm spinning fire from a distance with them. They think it's fire out of the corner of their eye, and they come over to look just to see if it really is! Even if they're disappointed that it's not fire, they're still intrigued by how the glow sticks are so bright. www.epartyunlimited.com has 15" versions of them!

Other than that, I would be for Malcom having a section of things like streetlights, with a big disclaimer that states that those items are not covered under the 3 month warranty. I guess just not carrying them at all is also a good option, I myself have vowed never to spend money on a streetlight again. The Sauce light wand is WAAAAAAAAAYYYY cooler looking, and a lil sturdier, but it's more expensive and still breakable, so I dunno if it's a good item to carry or not. BUT THEY SURE LOOK COOL! I also like that they are pretty heavy, more reminiscent of wicks or beamers in the feel.

That houseofrave site has some cool stuff, I think the fast strobing fiber wire would be cool to string down a set of ball chains with beamers on the end, as long as you left a few balls at the end so the torque wouldn't destroy the wire. You could strap the battery pack to your wrists or arms, and be careful when doing wraps. As long as there was not any tension on the wire, and there was a place for the torque to let out, I bet it would work. Has anybody tried it?

And I know the reason for beamers only being available in red has been discussed, but I still want to tsee them in another color! Or put some different circuit in there like the Rav'n light! That would be awesome. I know it could be done, the manufacturer would just need to fiddle with some alternate battery choices and circuit designs, but the beamers are selling well I guess, so the manufacturer probably doesn't want to put that much into it, for a small return. I understand that.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

342 posts

Posted:
i was rooting aroung Wal-mart, and found some of these garrity lightsticks. they were $2 each, so i got some. I tried them out, and although light, they kick serious a$$. these things are bright, long, and, if you drill a hole near the end, you can make chains outof groups of them, like with streetlights. they are awsome, but try stringing them as your leashes and putting beamers on the end, its fantastic.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
$2 each ... *boggle*

Dinah-mitemember
14 posts

Posted:
Looking for Mark1's address.. I am originally from Vermont, family still there...Would like to say hi...
Dinah-mite

342 posts

Posted:
I'm from St. Johnsbury, Where do you come from?