Forums > Technical Discussion > static electricity staff. cmon. this is the coolest shit

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Okay here it is... I dont know much about electricity, just the basics... but one day I watched a lady performing on tv, she had the small conducting rods and was manipulating static electricity, lots of it... Ya know when you go to the science exhibits and theres those globes of pulsating electricity and you put your hand on it and your hair stands up etc.... well she was working with that idea but it was not contained in a globe and it was awesome... it was so huge! and colorful.. oh my gawd!!!! now, if she can use little metal sticks for this why couldnt I use a big metal stick and flip out with some serious lightning action... anyone who knows squat about this sort of elec. and its applications, answer this thread man!!!!! I wanna do it---i wanna do it--i wanna do it--iwanna do it!!!!!!!

One Love, Dont forget.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
plus it can be used as a cattle prod on any unruly crowd members!
Isn't this just two stunguns on a big stick?
won't you get arrested?
Never mind all that , sounds cool, if you get it to work, we want to see pictures!
-M-

SparkyHVBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hmm, cattle prod for the audience, not exactly what I had in mind but just think of the possibilities . Actually most stunguns utilize a Marx generator circuit (basically a bunch of capacitors charged in parallel then discharged in series to increase the voltage), my design revovles around a bipolar Tesla coil. The differences in the arcs generated are significant, the Marx generator creates a DC arc - just like you'd get if you shorted out a car battery but at high voltage rather than high amps - naturally this could give a very nasty shock, the Tesla coil creates a high-frequency AC arc which , due to it's high frequency, and the nature of the design I'm using prevents the shock effects. Basically the primary windings of my Tesla coils are completely encapsualted to prevent any arcing to them from the secondary thus avoiding many of the problems noted in the earlier posts. This is not to say that the arc can't do damage, it certainly can cause RF (radio frequency) burns if held in contact with the skin for any prolonged period of time due to the power involved - the same as if you were to stand in front of a transmitting radar dish, but the "normal" shock effect of a low frequency supply does not occur as the body's nerves don't react fast enough. Naturally my design will incoporate a fail-safe dead-man type switch to cut power instantly in the event of a problem.
Not to worry, all precautions will be taken and if it works, photos too.

One flash and you're ash!

SparkyHVBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hmm, just reviewed that last post, might have to tone down the technical stuff a bit, people might start to think I'm a geek! Lol

One flash and you're ash!

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
note to whoever mentioned the famous tesla under a coil reading photo, it was a double exposure. Most science texts mention this, I'd be surprised if your teacher forgot. tesla was not in the room when the discharge occurred. also, a cheap $50 battery operated tesla coil will produce 15" sparks, be small enough to mount on a staff, and, in all my playing with them, i have never gottten hurt. AT ALL. NOT EVEN A TINGLE. these coils are plenty safe

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
Playing with tesla coils is likely to kill you

It is true that a properly built tesla coil can throw "lightning bolts" that wont' harm you. The reason they dont' do any harm is that they are extremely high frequency alternating current, which happens to never be going in one direction long enough to do any real damage. The problem with playing with them is that it's very difficult to keep low-frequency noise out of the system, so in addition to the harmless high frequency, you might suddenly get a few million volts of low frequency ac going through you as well, which will cook you beautifully.

Do not attempt to play with a tesla coil unless it's built under the guidance of someone with a level of experience and technical knowlege that you're willing to trust your life to.

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:
DEATH RAY!!!

-nikola tesla

i like pie

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:
btw

make your arching poi high frequency and about a billion amps...itll prolly cost a **** load to do but yep itll look cool

i like pie

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:
sealab 2021
quote:
hey murphy, look at this tesla coil

i like pie

Page: