RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning fire poi for a couple of months now but everytime i light them there just never as big as i'd like them any suggestions? i use mostly paraffin to light my poi and then a little lighter fluid. i'd love to hear any suggestion and sorry if this topic was already made but i looked for anything on this and couldnt find a thing. thanks for any help!~

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Bigger wicks will give you a bigger flame.

For cheap experimentation you can make wicks out of old towels (check that they're 100% cotton first)- towel wicks hold more fuel and give a bigger flame but only last a few burns.

For all wicks, as I understand it, the more volume the longer the burn will last as they hold more paraffin. The bigger the actual surface area of the wick the bigger the flame will be.

So the method of wrapping the wicks also has an affect- cathedral style wrapping gives more surface area for the same amount of wick than a cylindrical wick, and therefore a bigger flame.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RixatrixBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
thanks now i'm going to have to experiment!~

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Make sure you give your wicks a nice long soak too. If you can, soak them for about 10 mins before burning them - this gives a nice even flame which lasts quite a bit longer than a quick dunk which I've seen some people do.

Also, if you've been burnt the wicks alot (2 months every day for example, not every other weekend) you can do a quick cheat and just reverse the wick i.e. take it off and put it back on with the soot on the inside - this can also give you a bigger, cleaner flame.

But ultimately flame size is just down the size of your wicks - depending on what you prefer, you can either go for a long wick or a thick wick...
I've got about 4 foot on each poi which I find just about right - nice flame, not too heavy, but it comes down again to personal preferences.
Oh and when it comes to weight, don't forget that a full load of fuel doubles the weight of them (at least!)

Enjoy

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Also, if you want the nice fuel-holding-capacity-deal of a towel, but want your wicks to last longer you can do what I did - cut a strip of towel to the exact demension of your kevlar and wrap your wicks using both, so if you looked at it from the top you'd see towel/kevlar/towel/kevlar etc.
Sort of a hybrid thingie and it works for me

P*L*U*R

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Deimos:
Also, if you want the nice fuel-holding-capacity-deal of a towel, but want your wicks to last longer you can do what I did - cut a strip of towel to the exact demension of your kevlar and wrap your wicks using both, so if you looked at it from the top you'd see towel/kevlar/towel/kevlar etc.
Sort of a hybrid thingie and it works for me

How well do they last?

And do they burn well- I've used a lot of pure towel wicks but don't like the smell they give off or the scraps of material they shed, does your kevlar/towel mix burn more like kevlar or like towel?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I have used the towel/kevlar method on fire fingers and fire hula hoops when kevlar was scarce.
I found that the towel degrades much quicker than the kevlar, eventualy disintergrating leaving the kevlar all loose and in need of repair.

I wouldn't recomend this method

So much fire, so little body hair...

RixatrixBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the ideas everyone i thought maybe it was the fluid i was using not the wick thanks for your help!~

Alumitymember
30 posts

Posted:
I use the hybrid wicks as well, and if you fold over the towel so it's twice as thick when you wrap them, I find that it lasts longer and burns higher. Just a suggestion. ^.^

there'll be no angels

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I like the idea of cutting the towel shorter. I need to rewrap mine so that is an intreguing possibility.
Plus, that crazy super cloth looks pretty damn sweet.If it works well, maybe HoP should carry it? ^.~ Just a suggestion!

P*L*U*R

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Due to cloth being more likely than kevlar to disintergrate when on fire, smell becomes a factor for me. Burning duration aside, i'd like to not smell up the place, however long the burn may be.
I am scared of kero

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
y dont you just buy hybrid wicks...theyve got some new type of wicking thats made out of kevlar but their lighter and burn about 5x longer and brighter...dont ask besides that i dont know...youll need to do some looking
and for wicks off of HOP the monkeyfists make the best flame
but personally i use a citronella oil\white gas mix.....about a 3:1 ratio works really really nicely
the gas makes the oil light really quick and the oil takes forever to burn
after about a 4 min soak the monkeyfist wicks last about 15 min..

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!