AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I know we've discussed using biodiesel as an alternative breathing fuel - but what I was wondering is, has anyone actually used biodiesel to TWIRL with (i.e., as a dipping fuel for poi/staff)????

is it a good, bad or other idea?

I might have a supply right under my nose..........

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
IT's really expensive to do so normally, and it is quite smokey. I do not think there are any real plusses to doing it over lamp oil or kero. However, if you have some on hand you need to get rid of..it is no worse than lo or kero either.

This is completely my humble opinion though.

On a side note...I sent you an email last week about this time...did you get it? I believe it went to a work address because I received a response saying you were out of the office??? If not, I'll PM it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
oh, yep pele - got the email - just catching up on them now, I've been out and about having a bit of a holiday and just getting backinto things now - will get back to you

thanks for the comments on biodiesel as well, I don't have any on hand, but have just been made an offer about accessing some very close to me, so was just curious to see if it was worth picking some up..... I may give it a go to compare

does Adam Rice still frequent the board? he'd have probably dome some comparisons or tests

NYC - have you?

thanks

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Adam said his farewell some time ago actually, and has not been heard of since. It was a sad loss for the boards actually.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
that's a shame his love of experimentation was inspirational

if you're out there Adam, hope all is well

ChudwayBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Don't forget that biodiesel is way more environmentally friendly. We don't have to drill for it or invade other countries to get it. Plus its way less pollutive than any fossil fuel. And, if you make it yourself its actually cheaper than other fuels. You can make it yourself for around 50 cents a gallon. So they say at least. I'm actually gonna make my first batch in about a week, so hopefully it'll work as well as they say.

Fast bikes, danger, fire, and knives!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The first time I spun with it was OK. It was only a small sample that I had. the next time I had a 20L batch and I had heaps of trouble getting to light and then stay alight.
The smoke trails off the poi were the most interesting part.

I still have 20L of biodiesal though if anyone has some bright ideas getting it to work

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
exclUmm, I'm not sure if using biodiesel for spinning or especially breathing
is a good idea.

It contains meths and sodium hydroxide. Neither of which you want to be inhaling or ingesting.

I know its meant to react but, in organic chemistry there is never a simple outcome and as biodiesel is pretty much universally home made at the moment I wouldnt even trust stuff I'd made myself to that degree.

I suppose if you are used to putting paraffin (/kero) in your mouth then this probably wont worry you too much. shrug

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Has anyone got any further info or ideas about this?

I'd assume that spinning or breathing with biodiesel would be just as dangerous as using normal diesel. The only major difference is the sulphur content (possibly a few other additives too).
The flashpoint, burning temp and all other important details should be identical.

I'm not sure that its advisable to use any sort of diesel for spinning.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

The flashpoint, burning temp and all other important details should be identical.

eek

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm just curious about this.

I'm making a few assumptions but would really like to hear the answers from someone that knows the technicalities.

Personally I'd stick to using paraffin (/lamp oil / kero) as it doesnt get too hot, looks ok, ignites fairly easily and isn't heavily toxic.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Apparently biodiesel is safe to handle, it does not harm your skin, and can even be poured onto the ground, or better still a compost heap as it is completely biodegradeble. I believe it is the chemicals in their raw state you need to be careful with, moreso than the finished product- in fact if u mess up the production u can end up with soap!
Don't take my word for that tho- I have read alot but not actually made any yet...
One of the companies that makes biodiesel production machines was really helpful for me, I think they were called Goat Industries. Send hem an email, I'm sure they could tell you if it is safe to put in your mouth as well as help with the other issues smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Biodiesal in your vehicle makes you hungry as it always smells like dinner.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu