Forums > Technical Discussion > What's the chemical name for UV

Login/Join to Participate

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I've been puzzling it for a while my friends and I found some really great UV body paint but when looking on ingredients we figured that the UV was the FDC colourants.

Basically does anyone know how to make UV or glow in the dark toxic death at home? or if not at home at least with a decently equiped workshop (of which I have one)

Viva UGLY STAFF

371 posts

Posted:
quinine ehhh... to the bat extractor

Viva UGLY STAFF

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Glow in the dark Toxic Death ?! Eh?

There are loads of materials that flouresce (?) under UV.
Clearasil Pads (or similar brands), Shea Butter (I think), washing machine powder...

If you're wanting a UV body paint, I'd reccomend Clearasil. Very bright under UV, invisible normally (so you don't look like a monkey when turning up to a gig), washes off too.
If you're wanting to make props that are UV active, there are even more options as they don't have to be liquid or healthy (I wouldn't reccoment covering yourself in bleach for example)

The best thing to do is get a UV light (handheld or otherwise) and just go through all your rooms seeing what glows and what doesn't!

Oh, and scorpians go a wicked yellow under UV - maybe catch a couple and put them on the end of string?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Scorpion poi...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

371 posts

Posted:
Scorpion Death POI muahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaahahahahahhahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (in case you can't tell that's a really evil laugh)

Viva UGLY STAFF

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
UV reactivity is caused by molecules in the pigment that absorb light that is not visible to the naked eye (UV light) and re-emit that light at a visible wavelength. Many molecules are UV reactive and completely non-toxic, quinine in tonic water (as has been pointed out) being one example.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura