Forums > Technical Discussion > How Much Weight Do I Need to Support?

Login/Join to Participate

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I just bought a pair of swivels for the poi chains which I intend, one day, to use with fire heads. The thing is, I don't know if they're sufficiently strong; the guy at the store said they could handle 20-25 lbs. Does anyone have a rough idea of what's enough?

In terms of chains, I've got 18 inch dog choke chains, so those add a bit of additional weight. If necessary I can pull out the old physics textbook and do the math, but I'm hoping someone on here can pull some numbers off the top of their head.

Thanks in advance.

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
Hmm, is there any good way to tell if a choke chain is welded or not? I didn't really think of it at the time. I checked the store's website and it looks like I bought a pair of Herm Sprenger stainless steel chains, but it's rather ambiguous about whether or not they're welded. They are however much more expensive than the chrome plated chains, which are explicitly described as welded, so I'll be pretty pissed off I paid (much) more for a weaker product. Any ideas? Should, for instance, each link look like a completely smooth piece of metal?