Forums > Technical Discussion > Self made "glow in the dark" poi

Login/Join to Participate

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
I thought about attaching some loop to the juggling Glow Balls via screw of super glue and this way creating an affordable glow poi that would have a beautiful sphere-glow. And the Charger would only cost 12 bugs. Reusable as often as you want and all toghether less than 30 bugs.

I just asked Malcolm about it and he says that
quote:
The ball is made from some rubber or PVC? Not strong enough for a screw hook
or glue may not stick
and suggest to put in in a bag or something like that. A net would work in my oppinion but it would loose this
SUPER-BEAUTIFUL AEROTECH GLOBALL LIKE LOOK
And I dont want to give up on this idea that fast.
Any craftsman around that could help. Shouldnt a small dowel work ??

thx in advance

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mesh material (like the stuff some fruit come in) works fine and mostly doesn't cover the poi the way a bag would. problem is that if you've more speed than grace like me, then prepare to lose the mesh over the space of 1 weekend in the bush

good luck and may the poi be with you.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How about drilling a hole the entire way through and then attaching a bolt and washer?

Obviously a bit of locktite or another thread glue woudl be a good idea too, but it might be easier and simpler?

Just thinking...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I have talked to Aerotech about this. You'll notice on their website there are "Glow Poi" but they are not available yet, something about further testing needed. However, if you e-mail them, they WILL make you a pair. They claim something about a common failure point having to do with the charger post (He said "a few have come back", but I don't see why they would break unless you were really smacking them on something hard). I was thinking about getting a pair.

The net option I have seen in some video from here... I seem to remember a girl with a pink and green one I think. Looked like it worked just dandy, and would have the feel of sock poi.

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
might be worth checking out if you can find the bags seperately from teh tablets (detergent poi = silly)
i know persel have stopped doing the bags with the detergent in the UK - you have to give them a call and they send one to you, maybe if you ask nicely they'll send you two cause you, er, do loads of washing

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
for all your net needs:

persil

like bender said though, if times get hard you can always use those bags that oranges come in.

make sure you get some laces like these.

my nets are easily my favourite poi.
generally i use them with aerotech balls (even in the day because the weight distribution is similar to that of hedei clum's arse - ie. perfect) but when learning stuff that i'm likely to get hit with, i just chuck in a couple of regular juggling balls.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
might be worth checking out if you can find the bags seperately from teh tablets (detergent poi = silly)
silly? think about it under UV..... All those fuky particles of flourescent whitener could make them look like a blaze of light, and if they were to collide or just abrade against the fabric of the bag-- huge trails and maybe explosions of flourescent dust?

This sounds silly to you?
(I'm off to raid the cleaning store, anyone else coming with?)

Squarefish

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
clubbing? lots of UV there!

(might help me stay a bit more summer fresh also) a change from the smoke and flame might be nice (yeah right)