Forums > Technical Discussion > GIANT Fire balls without breathing

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
I saw this in Singapore : One guy holding a torch up and another guy thorwing from below a hand full of ??? out of a bag through the flame. Would say a 5 meter+ flameball

My question to you now. What did they use (Lycopodium ?!?) and have you ever done something like this by yourself?
Seems to be a good choice for those who dont want to take the risk of Fire-breathing.

enjoy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
but on the plus side....

You do get to use custard.

smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
BTW any fine powder, when suspended in air, is potentially explosive due to the much larger surface area in contact with oxygen. Which is why iron fillings will burn in a hot flame. BE VERY CAREFUL COMBUSTING POWDERS: THEY *ARE* DANGEROUS AND DIFFICULT TO CONTROL

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I do something similar when im working at the bar, after i do a 'Dante's inferno' name from doigna waterfall with two black sabucas i then put cinnamon powder on it and wooooshhhh, but as with all flammable items, be careful!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
A 5M ball of fire from one handfull of anything sounds dubious.

I used to make fireballs about 5M diameter that rose up 10-15M high by submerging an explosive device (with about 30mL of 50/50 magnesium filings / pottasium permanganate, coated in epoxy and electrically fired with an internal heating element at 12v on a remote controled switch) submerged in about 4L of petrol. 20L of fuel and about 100mL of explosive makes a fireball about 15 - 20M across that rises up about 30-40M high.

Flour does not light well in this mannor, so the piano sounds dodgy. Sulphur powder lights well if thrown by hand, but I suspect it gives out UV as I had sore eyes later that night like a welding flash, even without contacting the extreamely toxic fumes this activity will allways produce. DO NOT USE SULPHUR for both of these reasons.

To blow a piano to smitherines and kill a few people I suspect you would be talking more of a soda syphon or small fire extinguisher of black powder, but I dont have much experience with it as it was hard to get durring my well mis spent youth playing with explosives and fire. To not find the body you would need hundreds of kg of something like 80mL of diesel per kg of ammonium nitrate, and you would wipe out the whole building, not just a few nearby spectators.

I personally dont beleive in aspirating any flammable substance by mouth and lighting it, Just look in the " ARDS" thread by Doc Lightning to see why.

As for building a flamethrower to take the place of fire breathing , I wont give the nessecary design advice here as the last thread on flamethrowers was removed compleatly within a few hours of me replying to post my advice, so I think the moderators of this site dont like me telling people how to do those sorts of things and corrupting a whole generation of potential pyromaniacs.

Explosives are also only for those who realy know what they are using is only going to go off ONLY when they stoke it volentaraly, not some dodgy unstable recipie from the notoriuosly inacurate anarchists handbook. I learned about them slowly over several years, but it only takes 1 mistake and you are stuffed, even if you have safe explosives and know how to use them. LEAVE THEM ALONE and get your thrills from rock climbing or fire walking instead.

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
the smaller the particle the bigger the flame (as lazy angel pointed out, surface area is the thang) so if u have an incredibly fine powder the bigger the surface area. custard powder therefore works way better then flour.
Anyways about all this burning your mouth stuff....surely the powder would get wet in your mouth??? is it not better to blow into a container/tube which has the powder already in it?

Page: