Forums > Technical Discussion > Knot used in Bearclaw snakes

Login/Join to Participate

Squeegeemember
18 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me how to tie the knot used for the ends of the Bearclaw snakes.
I apologize if this question has been answered before. I read through many other threads regarding the Bearclaw snakes and could only find instructions for a monkeyfist knot, and this knot appears to be different from a monkeyfist.
My other question about the snakes is how people have managed to safely attach the rope to the chains. Any recommendations on this?
Thanks!
-Squeegee

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Kinda hard to tell from the picture, but they just look like small monkey fists to me. To safely attach the chains, braid your rope and feed the chain through the top loop of the braid.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think they may not be monkey fists.

would help a lot if you could find a better pic as it's almost impossible to see what they are.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Squeegeemember
18 posts

Posted:
Ow: I don't understand the braiding thing. I know I read a thread about it before, but it didn't make much sense to me. Are you taking apart the threads of the rope and rethreading them? Can you please explain this better?
Thanks,
Squeegee

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Squeegee:
Ow: I don't understand the braiding thing. I know I read a thread about it before, but it didn't make much sense to me. Are you taking apart the threads of the rope and rethreading them? Can you please explain this better?
Thanks,
Squeegee

I wonder which thread you read?

Braiding and monkey fist knots are entirely different things: -

A monkey fist knot is a bulky knot usually tied on an end of rope, it's original function was on old sailing ships when it would be tied on an end of rope which could then be spun in a circle and thrown to another ship.

In poi/spinning it's been used to bulk up both ends of a rope to make 'meteors' and, more recently, formed out of kevlar rope to make chunky wicks and attached to chains to make fire poi.

Braiding is a way of combining several strands of cord into one rope, generally it means the same as plaiting- there is a technical difference but an explanation would only confuse matters.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Squeegeemember
18 posts

Posted:
I understand the difference. I was asking a new question, about how to to the braiding. Sorry for the confusion.
-Squeegee

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
To braid the rope, you need a rope that is a little over three times the length of the flamey bit you want (ie, if you want a two foot fire snake, you need 6 feet of rope to start with). Lay it out on the ground folded twice so you have three parallel lines and braid as normal, then tie off at either end. It may seem a bit wasteful, but you get a much bigger flame than with a single strand of rope.
I originally had monkey fist knots on the end of my ropes but those fell to pieces quite quickly, so I ended up with just the braiding, and they spin fine.

useful thread

Hope that helps
J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.