AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Last night I was practcing poi and I saw the people were staying with's dog leash. It's about twice the length that is recomened to as the maximum length. But me being fairly new to Poi, had to try it, so it got it, attacted my glow stick and started to twirl in their back yard. It was kind of fun twrling with it so I went and got their other dog leash, hooked it up too my other glow stick and twirled them both. Hard to do some moves though, and wraps seem impossible. So has anyone else tried useing really long chains without useing stilts?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
standong on a stool or a fence is kinda neat! at public events sometimes i mount bins (no.. not that kinda way, filthy monkey!) but as a disclaimer it's a dumb thing to do. but funny.
yes, bins are sexy.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Wrap the chains around your hands once or twice to shorten them so you can do some moves and then unwrap to go back to long chains, which practice you can smoothly wrap-unwrap chains on your hands to shorten/lengthen them.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
another neat long-poi trick 2 do is when they are fully extended, just hop as they approach the ground. you might look like antzinthepantz, but the penquins will love you.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine has poi that are about 1.5 metres long... (5 ft?) she wraps them for ideal lenght but I have tried to spin them full lenght... It is different and interesting, wraps are possible but really hard... I'm thinking of making long poi myself. It's fun.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
I found long chains alot easy to turn on the btb weave from rev to fwd. But now i have shorter cahins it's alot harder for me.

MAYBE IT"S JUST ME

Mozy

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
So there's nothing wrong with having really long chains?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Not if youre comfortable with them and can use em well.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Okay. I think it would be really cool if someone could do a show with really long chains and have alot of length changing and do things such as going from say a windmill with the chains at full length then shortening them while doing the trick, do it with the shortened chains, do a giant windmill, then go back to the full length.

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
I have always wanted to try spinning poi Wushu double chain whip style, using 4 or 5 footers, but dang, it would take a lot of practice...and they tend to behave differently than the shorter poi do in the middle of a trick, there is always the "Whoops! What happened there?" factor...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
So there's nothing wrong with having really long chains?
wrong? with twirling theres not many rules. play around with different equipment cos you can do whatever you want! i use 120cm dog chains - the type of link used wraps really well and smoothly.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.