AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
(mods feel free to move this if it's not in the right spot...)

I'm just about to start a course in sword techniques, and obviously have thought about the translation of some of the techniques to staff and fire sword play.

Now, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that already do that, and thought maybe we could start a thread on it (I couldn't find much discussion of wu shu 'moves' and staff etc in the archives....)

Does any one have any tips for someone really new to this area......

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Don't think - Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
probably the most important lesson i've learnt in migrating sword movements to firestwirling swords is that stances will burn your body if the sword(S) is/are pointed downward. If such a stance or movement does this in your pattern, just remove it altogether and figure out a connecting tranistion instead. also, there are exactly 2.2 trillion wushu traditions, and the circular, flowing traditions give you more viable firetwirling movements.
also, training in any martial arts introduces the proper training structure necessary for one not to harm yourself not too much. weapon oriented stretches, warmups, drills, movements and cooldowns make a much better proposition than the ICU.
Generally, a competent instructor will demand if not insist upon mastery of empty-hand techniques before any venture into weapon work. There are many exceptions, bribery and goodwill being some.

good luck and may the sword not be hurty!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ahhh, thank you Durbs and bender

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
ive never done fire swords i'll point out at the start, but ive noticed that swords can do a lot of the moves that poi can do eg weave, thread the needle. ive never done wushu either but i think if you work out and got competent with some of the poi moves they would fit into a frenzied wushu whirling session.

then you could 'elaborate' on the moves to your satisfaction

dan-tien movements could look impressive!!

anyway, for what its worth i think your just gonna have to do the time playing around and the moves will come as theyre ready

cheers

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
thanks jonathan!

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
"But Master, does not the fire need water too? Does not the mountain need the storm? Does not your scrotum need kicking?"
-Beavis

Raph

6,978 posts

Posted:
Raph needs T.P.

and something i didn't mention before:
make sure you are competent with your loverly new firesword unlit before you consider using it lit. temptation can be a worrisome thing!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmm, Wuuuuu Shuuuuu.......

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

scoobydoobienewbie
6 posts

Posted:
im more into the shaolin style myself with the fire sword it looks insane on fire

6,978 posts

Posted:
there are several, distinct sword forms in contemporary wushu - straight sword 'jien' is popular and is used in many wushu schools, incuding the graceful tai chi school. 'Shaolin' in this context is often treated like a brand - i find it's kind of like referring to Michael Jordan's sport as 'Nike-Ball' smile