Dr.Redeyemember
27 posts

Posted:
Please don't have a go if there's load of info on this already, I've searched and searched, found some info I need, but I still have some unanswered questions.

I want to make my first staff, so bear in mind it's for a beginner.....

What is the ideal length, diameter and material for the staff?

What is the ideal width for the wicks and how much length is required?

I've read the post on good handle grip so I think I've got that sussed; but how much of the staff should it cover? 1/3??

Please help as I want to make it A.S.A.P!

Cheers

Infinty is a long time.......especially towards the end!

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
What is the ideal length, diameter and material for the staff?
Ideal is hard to say, unless you have practiced with other staves. No one here can probably tell you what is ideal for you. That said, most people use something between 1/2" to 1" diameter, hardwood or aluminum, between 4 and 6 feet long.

What is the ideal width for the wicks and how much length is required?
All of the members of the various groups i work with locally have interleave wicks (if they use kevlar) for their poi. I find that wrapped wicks seem to give off less of a flame than interleave wicks, and I end up using more wick for a staff to get the same amount of flame as interleave poi.
I would suggest 3" or 4" wide wick, depending on your staff length, and 2 or more feet per wick. Even if you are a beginner, you could probably handle a larger flame than 2' would give you. If you use wood, just remember to use aluminum tape.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

Dr.Redeyemember
27 posts

Posted:
Thank You,
That's just the sort of guideline I needed!

It seems like a simple enought thing to make (famous last words???) but I thought best to get a rough outline.
I'm off shopping!

Thank you once again!

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I am glad you found those "guidelines" helpful. I think your greatest concern will be how to gracefully attach the wick to the staff.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

Dr.Redeyemember
27 posts

Posted:
Nah.. my girlfriends dad was a precision engineer, so the actual construction should be straight forward.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I have a staff made from a broom stick cut down too one meter in length. It's got a peice of electrical tape to mark the middle. It's not ment for anything other then to learn how to use a staff. Is it good enough?

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Fear of Darkness,

I don't think there is a reason not to, unless your broomstick has breaks in it. Most people who construct equipment build a few designs before getting what they want, so it would probably be good if you try. At 1m in length, I probably would not put more then 2" wide wick on. Also, I suggest, again, to put alumin(i)um tape on the first several inches on each side of the staff.

I'm sure there is a lot of staff construction information if you search; you may find much better suggestions or "rules of thumb" than I have put here.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Thanks. It's going to be awhile before I try anything with fire, but does anyone know how well glow sticks look on the ends of a staff?

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks look great on the end of a staff, especially if you put two on each end.

A beginner staff I would suggest at 4 feet long, it is a good average length to avoid hitting yourself with (as my 6' staff and I have more limited moves than my 4'). The ends should be approx fist size (around 4" inches). The grip in the middle approx 3 fists long or 1 foot (you want to be able to have both hands together on the staff with a bit of extra handle still sticking out on each side of the hand. As for using the right materials, I guess we all choose our own, so good luck with your construction project. If it makes you feel any better, my first one made was a joke, but boy, did I ever know how to make the second one right!!!