Page:
Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
Anyone ever think of trying something with sharp objects? Such as Knife poi or Mace poi? Has this been done before? If not I think it would be cool to see it. If yes, anyone have a video?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Aish

Non-Https Image Link

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Or why not just put vials of nitroglycerin on your chains so if you don't spin smoothly enough they explode.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
602s
Death on a chain right there. No need for knives.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
okay.
sarcasm.
great.

Non-Https Image Link

skjalffmember
33 posts

Posted:
`Oh, I was thinking about it A lot.. like longer blades, i was thinking of offensive use of poi, with heavy, rather long (and sharp enough) blades it would be interesting... After all there is a kung-fu (whatever) weapon: a sort of blade on a long chain, why not elaborate :-)))))) I'm not really ready to try that tho :-)))

skjalff

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
didn't smallboy start a thread like this a while back. I think it got locked though as it wasn't exactly fluffy viewing for the family

Nice photoshop job their Aish

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
On the film 'Joan of Arc' (Milla Jovavich) there's a brief shot of someone doing a weave with two maces in one of the battle scenes.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I know Dave, why dont you encourage them

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Aish, look up 'chain whips'... that's essentially what you're describing.

There are some fantastic chainwhip videos on some of the martial arts sites. Though, chain whips are usually only used one at a time.

I think you got shunned because what you're discussing is dangerous and makes the site look a bit dangerous as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
quote:
Nice photoshop job their Aish
Lol, thanks Tempest. Just trying to illustrate.
Although theres no way in hell I'd be ready for knife poi. LOL, I'm still having trouble with the ordinary kind.

Aish

Non-Https Image Link

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

Knife poi are just too dangerous to be discussed?

but firebreathing, knife juggling, wirewool, fire-meteor, etc are all fine and dandy?

personally i'd waaaaaaaay rather spin with razor sharp blades than breathe fire. And who says they need to be sharp anyhow?

yeah, if you make a mistake you could hurt yourself. This is the case with all the disciplines we discuss. i don't really see what makes this different.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
mess up in a butterfly and you are suddenly either blind or an enuch...don't be surprised when this thread gets deleted...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
as kids we talked about "bomby knockers" i dont know what they are really called or even if they exist but, they were ment to look something like the picture at the top shows.

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
My first thoughts too Liam.

3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
mess up in a butterfly and you are suddenly either blind or an enuch...don't be surprised when this thread gets deleted...
i repeat:

mess up during firebreathing and you end up with useless lungs. Do firebreathing threads get deleted?

mess up while bellydancing and you end up with twisted intestines. probably. Ok bad example

And i also repeat: Who says they have to be sharp? most juggling knives aren't.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
quote:
mess up while bellydancing and you end up with twisted intestines. probably. Ok bad example

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
If you use blunt knives and you can spin real slow and controlled then danger will be minimal.

Using razor sharp blades and spinning like a maniac will be really dangerous.

I agree with simian that blades are no more dangerous than fire breathing, but I'm intrigued as to why fire meteors are in his list?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

3,149 posts

Posted:
cos i regularly wallop myself with my meteor every time i use it i find it loads of fun, but crazy unpredictable.

i've seen +)/Nix/Tom's evil fire meteor and it makes me want my mum just looking at it

but i was just casting around for things that were pretty risky. i don't much want to spin with knives or breath fire, but fire meteor is something i definitely want to do... in a few years time... maybe.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I came up with a great concept last night...

samurai sword staff...not poi...whoops...ohgiveashit

picture this if you please.... two samurai sowrd superglued handle to handle...then span like a staff..

or coconut fire poi..

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by simian:
cos i regularly wallop myself with my meteor every time i use it i find it loads of fun, but crazy unpredictable.

i've seen +)/Nix/Tom's evil fire meteor and it makes me want my mum just looking at it

but i was just casting around for things that were pretty risky. i don't much want to spin with knives or breath fire, but fire meteor is something i definitely want to do... in a few years time... maybe.

Is any of this evil fire meteor on video that I can download?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
although i luv just luv talking about ancient asian martial arts, i have to agree that there could be trouble for our loverly community if some person gets inspired from HoP and paint fumes and ends up on CNN looking like Spawn.

with that important caveat aside....
my swords are as blunt as a baby's behind, yet still they make huge gashes.
I practiced for yonks before my first firesword burn, and even that's no gaurantee that I won't hit myself again.
Methinks we must accept that the only way to avoid exotic fire-weapon injury is to abstain. Bugger me, conventional fire toys are deadly enough! my poi burn landed me in hospital not a month ago!
Antoher telling danger is that i note that there are only boys on this thread, which indicates that the danger also cometh from testosterone - or domestos.

UCOF, the weapon with a katana-like blade at the end of a pole is the naginanta, which was historically popular amongst female japanese martial artists. Also a double ended sword feautered briefly in Ninjitsu too. Also, there is always the wushu double ended spear too! I think the dadao is the most famous sword-on-a-pole (the blade was more of a wushu broadsword shape)
from memory, i do not recall there being coconut weapons, though my martial arts knowledge does not cover tropical countries.
However, if the coconuts were transported here by african or european swallows.....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
what?
held under the dorsal guiding fin?
or on a strand of creeper?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
all just my personal opinion:

some circus performers throw knives in an outline around their friends.
some jugglers juggle chainsaws (and babies ).
there are tightrope walkers that walk at heights from which a fall would surely kill them.

they are all professionals.
the extra risk is what makes it more watchable - the tightrope act 4 feet from the ground is the same but would not be as exciting to watch; a knife thrower could use an outline to prove his proficiency just as well as throwing around a real person does.

i will never, ever use poi that will damage me that much if i mess up.
but i would love to see someone perform well with them.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

6,978 posts

Posted:
heh heh
methinks that wether fire arts are dangerous is what is in question here
just that there are certain issues we have to be mindful lest we be irrationally held accountable should the improbable happen....
they is not for everyone, to be sure,
but i guesss they should be there for some, even if just so the rest of us could witness folly!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and conviently...this is my 2200 post.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i keep thinking of cutting cucumbers in midair with your knife poi shooonk!
bender, the hospital? yikes! hey, don't hurt the bender! we need that!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

6,978 posts

Posted:
bleh i wish hospitals served more cucumbers.

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
See if this works.......
Sword

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no, it doesn't

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I was more concerned with the rather point end of the knife, if it hit you in the eye, that would suck. Yes, I have spun spiked flails. I have a nunchuck with a one foot blade on one end (kama style) it is blunt too. It is also dangerouse. I have played with a chain whip tha has a rather pointy end to it. I am also concerned that someone might try this and kill them selves. I'm not trying to be your momma... do what ever you want, but please be careful...and stay away from sharp and point poi. (even if I don't)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I wondered ages ago about Mace-Poi, then had a cunning thought. You can buy dog toys/halloween props which look like maces but are (fairly) soft rubber.
Look the part but without the risk of death

Knife-Poi: The first thing that comes to mind is - "Why Bother?"
Spinning at speed whilst being risky, wouldn't look impressive/good as to the casual observer they just look like wierd poi.
Poi is fairly useless is terms of self-defence (much better to try rope dart/chain whip) - if you want to learn a "dangerous"-looking skill, pick up a proper martial art.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: