Page:
Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
Anyone ever think of trying something with sharp objects? Such as Knife poi or Mace poi? Has this been done before? If not I think it would be cool to see it. If yes, anyone have a video?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Aish

Non-Https Image Link

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I made some "doggie toy" spiked flails for a mideavil performance. They are heavy, and I covered them in that thick rubber (black) that you coat tool handles with.

"Spinning at speed whilst being risky, wouldn't look impressive/good as to the casual observer they just look like wierd poi. "

untill you rope dart that knife poi into a wooden block and pick it up !!!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Durbs:
[QB- "Why Bother?"
[/QB]
Just what I thought too....
Have to much problems staying alive with my fire-poi's.....no need for knifes here

I like Fire.. :)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
maybe some ratio analysis is a good perspective, hey?
I'd say that poi has a very high performance impact to danger ratio.
That dangerous weapons be twirled would definitely increase the performance impact, to be sure, but will you get that much extra impact for all the *exponentially* added risk to life and llama?
i think not.
however, although dangerous weapon twirling has a lower performance impact to risk ratio, guys will be guys, and bars from west melbourne all the way to north west melbourne will harbour the oddly burnt fire offender.
omg i have to get off this forum soon..
:eyes lose alignment:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
At my halloween party we got some plastic hand axes and we were using them like swinging clubs. Perhaps it would be cool to do it for real with a couple of hand axes, although they may be a bit heavy.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Dantana loseing an eye? How about dieing from a fire breathing accident?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I don't spit fire with ethanol anymore...so no worries there. It's just plain old vegetable oil for me...
"tastes like chicken..."

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
I don't spit fire with ethanol anymore...so no worries there. It's just plain old vegetable oil for me...
"tastes like chicken..."

Seriously? Can you Really do that? I would LOVE more info on this DJ. I've been asking everyone about this!!!!!

Aish

Non-Https Image Link

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So it's still dangerous. I don't see you delivering lectures in every fire breathing thread about how it could destroy lungs, faces, eyesight and your life.

I fire breath to. Im just saying it's absurd to fire breath and approve of discussion about fire breathing then come in here and be like "nope that's dangerous boys, better not do that"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
simian:

when did I meet you? I dont remeber.

:onewheeldave:

you seen my metior at pip one time, there is a little bit of it on 'morning coffie' but that was before I wicked them and made them really dangerous.

thread:

I live for Death!

L*r

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Used to use a nine-section staff with a pointed blade at the end until I hit myself in the groin.Luckily enough it was with a blunt side. Then I gave it away to one of my Sifu. Turned to Poi and Firestaff because I considered the life-expectancy longer, lol.

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by skjalff:
`Oh, I was thinking about it A lot.. like longer blades, i was thinking of offensive use of poi, with heavy, rather long (and sharp enough) blades it would be interesting... After all there is a kung-fu (whatever) weapon: a sort of blade on a long chain, why not elaborate :-)))))) I'm not really ready to try that tho :-)))

skjalff

yes in kung-fu there is a type of wepon that would fall into this. Acually two, but nether have a blade on them, allthough you could put one on. there is the chain whip and dart rope, on the end they have an object shaped somthing like that of an arrow head on them. Yes they can and will go right into the body and can be pulled out just as fast. FUN!!!!!

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
got anything to add to the 'Rope Dart' thread on the Other Toys section then? We kneed the help!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dantana:
"tastes like chicken..."

It's equally as dangerous. More firebreathers get seriously injured from inhalation than swallowing.

Most poi injuries are incurred to the delicate bits and to the face. Hmmmm....makes one think about it?

BUT... how about a butter knife? Or a cheese spreader? Round tipped, flat edged...

I have a mace, with nails in it (home made by my uncle). I am just imagining the amount of tetanus shots that would go along with one whack from that!

But then again, I do Bolas and they will break bones so I can't say anything about being stupid, now can I?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Ey DJ Dantana,

When I heard your idea of firebreathing with vegetable oil I ran downstairs tot try it, But when I tried it with my sunflower-oil I just got very small flames and they crackled in the air, just like with fuel with water in it or the really bad colored lamp-oil ...
Which oil do you use and are your flames crackle-noise-free?

Greetz, Telpeva Isil

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Going back to the kinfe poi for a moment.

A mate of mine is making a film, with lots of martial arts in it and a really complicated storyline. Anyway he saw me using my poi and thought it would be cool to have a guy doing it in his film. He said that he would use poi but with bladed tails ( see crappy picture )
%-----0->->->->
% is the handles
- is the chain
0 is the poi (lead weight)
->-> is a tail with arrow shaped blades.

Wether he actually puts it in is a different thing entirely.

laZy

as laZy as .....

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine claims to have some sort of Blade Poi, but i haven't seen it yet, so i'm a little hesitant to believe her. But i'll letcha know when i do see it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just a little reality check for all those talking about "safe" blunt knives.

Blunt knives still cut at speed, I have a friend with blunt, round edged juggling machetes. When someone challenges him that they aren't sharp, he turns to a wooden block behind him and cuts the carrot on it in half with one chop.

Histically, most european style swords are blunt, but they still kill people, ditto with maces etc.

Just so we don't mistakenly equate blunt with "safe"

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Master Lee does that with a Cucumber... sometimes blindfolded even... and on a audience members stomach.

Non-Https Image Link

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I think you guys also need to realize that a flat blade is not going to act the same spinning through the air as a round ball or flaming wick

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

JBlazemember
7 posts

Posted:
First and foremost, poi users and staff spinners are not martial artists!!!. Unless you have training in M.A. you'll end up hurting yourself if you try to spin in that sense. A poi or a fire staff is not a defence tool! They're completely different styles.
Second, fire breathing has rules, follow them, and your risk is minimal. You shouldn't compare that with spinning because spinning is much more unpredicatble. For the poi or staff, even the best drop a staff or fumble on the poi.
Blades at the end of the poi?? even blunted, just think about the speed they're spun at. They're on the ends of chains which increases their force by many many folds. Any self contact and you would be cut wide open, not to mention a much uglier gash from a blunted object. But hey, they're tight rope walkers out their who don't use safety nets, there's freestyle rockclimbers who use no ropes, and dagger throwers who throw at live people. Personally, I'm amazed by style and skill rather than risk and danger

stay lit

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
Hullo, I am very Female, and I am just as keen on sharp, flaming things.
I saw Fraye, a Fire troupe perfrome. Part of there deal was a woman who had doubble hooked knives. And, yes - they were on fire!
She spun them around at the handles like they were Poi, I think they had straps on them she had her wrists through.
Then, just for fun - she hooked one knife onto the other and spun them like one unit.
I thought the whole thing was, well... Devine.

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
That would be Samoan Fireknives...........a different creature altogether.
The knive are truly sharp, and the real ones are made with true machetes, but these people practise with sticks, then knives, then fire.
And most of them have scars.
Come to Samoa sometime and you can see our 8 year old champion biggrin

However - the moves of a fireknife dancer and a poi ball dancer are completely different, and the force of the blow would be many times that of a knife...seems to me to be a novel new way to committ hari-kari eek

TeeJay

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
Ooops..........

If you want to find out about the knife dance, as well as where to get knives, you can go here: (hope this isn't out of line)

www.sivaafi.org

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Heh you could get caught there, anyways with these 'knife poi' wouldnt they be much harder than normal poi to control because of the way the knives could spin at the end of the chains due to air drag an such?

Burn !

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
If you spin any object, air resistance will force it into its most aerodynamic position.

Knives have a natural 'leading edge' - the sharp bit. So they should tend to stay in one position, not spinning in relation to the chains, the same way that flags or juggling rings do when you spin them.

This is of course the worst possible position for them to be in if you hit yourself eek

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
How about spinning venomous snakes instead? weavesmiley

Or wearing some rubber soled shoes and spinning copper rods in a thunderstorm? That'd be pretty ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've seen something similar on martial arts sites. Look for spinning weapons and you should find all you need.....and they're way cool!!! weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

paperwristSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
hello again long time no see ...... through no fault of home of poi i must add i decided one bored night to put two knives on some chains and spin them i am very much unhurt i stuck to basic stuff i knew how to do and it actually put my mind at ease for my first burn yesterday call me stupid if you like i thought i would just add that in there oh and on the stubject of random poi like snakes and such i really think pot noodles would be great.

i live in piskie land come play with me and the g,nomes

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: paperwrist

call me stupid if you like

Cool.

You're stupid tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude