MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im looking for a store in my area that sells kevlar. I dont feel like ordering over the net due to shipping times and whatnot. I live in the US near Philly. What stores or types of stores would be selling it? The only place I could think of was Home Depot but they dont carry it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
contact a juggling/circus/large hardware type stores if they dont have it they will know who does, if you dont need much try posting to a local fire twirling group someone may have a roll. i would recommend that you do buy from hop just because it is heaps cheaper, local stores charge around 2-3 times as much

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive never seen or heard of any juggling/circus stores around here. Pretty much the same with twirling groups...I dont know any real spinners besides myself and wouldnt know where to start looking. Im one of the very few, if not the only, spinner in Philly that visits this site...So Im not finding much help searching here either.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the phone book is a good place for juggling type stuff, maybe see if you can find out who imports it some government department may be able to help you. kevlar is also used in body armor maybe trying and contact a manufacturer. i still think hop is your simplest solution

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Royal,

Have you checked the "meet others" section of this site? I came up with 4 people when i searched for "Philadelphia." Maybe you will have some luck there.

I can see how buying just a few feet can be a bummer when it comes to shipping, but if the breakdown was something like this:

about $20 for 10 feet (we use 8 feet for a set of poi)
$2.50 to $3.85 parcel post or priority mail, if shipped USPS in the US.

The extra few dollars is not too bad. how much money would you spend trying to get to a place to buy the stuff and back (gas or bus or whatnot)? how much are they going to charge you? I don't know a single shop that is cheaper than the places on the web. However, if you can hook up with a firedancer, maybe one of the people in the "meet others" section, that's definitely a good way to go.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.