MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im curious as to weather or not there is good money in professional fire spinning. Ive been reevaluating my career goals lately and thought about going pro and being a spinner for hire. Is there good demand for this in the US? What kind of cash does one get per show? Etc.

Also, aside from just being hired to spin, one could become a teacher and hold classes that could net some side cash. And Ive also even thought about opening my own store with spinning supllies...Maybe make my own brand of poi and staves.

Anyone have any experience with any of this and could tell me the good/bad?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't know about the rest of it, but if you're planning to start teaching, imagine teaching someone the weave. Then teaching someone else the weave, then teaching someone else the weave etc, etc, etc.

I imagine teaching lots of people the same moves would get pretty boring after a while.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Might be boring...But then again, what job isnt?

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
When you're teaching moves, however basic, you have to find ways of explaining them, and different individuals have different ways of learning.
So teaching is something that you have to learn and improve at in the same way you constantly learn in spinning.
So, if that's what you're cut out to do then you won't find it boring.
In terms of work, in the UK there's some, but to make a living it's quite difficult finding enough work- some people do it but it but it's probably better if you've got some part time normal work as back up.
I know a few people who make a living from juggling/poi/performing/workshops and most of them seem to lose interest in the actual skills after a while cos' they do it all day. So making a living from it can ruin the hobby.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Is there good demand for this in the US?"

No. Not when people are willing to do it for free. Also, consider who the fire community is, they're not rich certainly so you wouldn't be able to charge enough to pay rent, let alone health insurance.

I know that some people do it but from what I've seen they're not making their money back. I'd get a cush job and spin on the weekends. If you want to hold classes and make extra money, do it that way.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yes you could be a professional fire spinner, but you would have to be a very good dancer, and be a multidimensional performer. you would also want to have a performance troop, you would have to differentitate yourself from other twirlers by doing choerographed shows etc.

i twirl with a performance group in adelaide for the joy or performing on stage, i most definately wouldnt want to rely on it as my main source of income though. we incorperate staff,poi,ribbons (like gymnasts do), capoeira (brazilian martial art), acrobatics most of the people that hire performers require you to be clean cut and very professional.

there are people that make a living of it like the fire flys have a look at the performs like on the site

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think there is money in it but you have to find your niche. I wouldn't really rely on it as a lifetime career.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
money in fire dancing? where?
i'm broke as heck, and have been doing this a while. show me a rich dancer or theatre person and i'll show you somebody with a trust fund. do it cause you love it, and don't expect money, and don't expect to build a career unless you have a healthy body and a lot of time to sacrifice nice things like vegetables and dentists. career takes a while, that it does.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
/starts tearing through kevlar for purported 'money in poi'
oh dear.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
/starts tearing through kevlar for purported 'money in poi'
You should check through your tennis balls first. If you added a bunch of pennies, you could make them as heavy as your wicks (or as heavy as you want for that matter). Of course, you can "only get out as much as you put in". And it probably works with rocks too, if you're cheap.

On an 'on topic' note, there was a guy at 735 in New Orleans getting paid to spin glowsticks, and apparently fire as well. He's in the "meet others" section here on HoP as 'Rubin', but I don't think he posts regularly. I remeber him saying he had to spin glowsticks for 5-6 hours a night (without messing up), and like a 5 minute break every hour. Excessive stamina, and low risk tricks don't exactly make for the most exciting show, and if they made him put that much wear on his wicks, I doubt they lasted him long enough to make it worth the pay.

I'd say that if you're serious, start practicing a few hours a day on chaining repeatable moves, flexibility, and maybe adding in other skills (like martial arts, stilts, etc.) to stand out. Then be prepared to move to an area with established troupes and try to get in with one of them to get a handle on what's required to set up and maintain a full touring stage show. You'd have to be geared up to make enough to live on doing something you really, really love. But damn, would it be worth it.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
die double post, die.

[ 06. July 2003, 07:10: Message edited by: Dut ]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
quote:
You should check through your tennis balls first. If you added a bunch of pennies
OMG. Just today I filled my tennis calls with pennies to simulate the weight of my beaming poi...And I thought I was being clever.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I managed to support my wife and myself completely as a circus arts entertainer for almost a year...

But, that was teaching, doing teambuilding events, kids parties, corporate work, mcing, kids balloon sculpting, made to order balloon sculptures, clowning, unicycling, juggling, fireperforming, busking an dlots of other stuff i can't remember at the moment.

This is with myself as a pretty good marketing machine (Business development is what I've done for my last three jobs inclunding my current one).

And belive me, I didn't make my millions!

Sometimes we ate caviar and somtimes we ate noodles!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by arashi:
money in fire dancing? where?
i'm broke as heck, and have been doing this a while. show me a rich dancer or theatre person and i'll show you somebody with a trust fund. do it cause you love it, and don't expect money, and don't expect to build a career unless you have a healthy body and a lot of time to sacrifice nice things like vegetables and dentists. career takes a while, that it does.

agreed!.

forunately i work for and suport myself through performing, just.... i'm with arashi, i'm broke as hell! through it.
i have to work 20 hours a week in a normal job just to ensure my rent and bills are paid.
also agreeing with dave that the love for what once was a hobby can die and die drastically.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
whoa man, that's heavy.
I dunno what i'd do without love of fire
probably trainspotting.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I searched out and I found that two years ago UCoF was asking
about doing Poi for money and get nice answers. I was aksing
myself several times and people around me ask me too, if is
good to do it or no and what it brings.
(be patient to my english)

Well, well, I know this is huge community of people that like this
art and everything come with it togerther. There are some who
start right now and some who continue improving themselves.
For some of us its way how to save money too.

Poi have for me material and spiritual value. Spiritual in a way of
dance, movement, rhythm, circles or light and material in a way
of kevlar, chain, cover, books or cassets.

Then we go outside show poeple what we learn, what we do
and people react. Some of them clap one's hands, some smile
and for some people, the way to let know they like it, is to give
money.

The important Point is to understand not only that we will use
this money to repair our staff, to have what to eat and where to
sleep. Important is to understand our own value and how we
price ourself.

Cause its art and like every art it has uncountable value.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

VolcanogrrlBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
I just stumbled onto this post. Lots of good feedback. I work full-time and love my job. But, I'm thinking of offering poi classes at the local dance studio in addition to my job. I also want to start offering poi performances for parties/etc.
I'm interested in people's experiences teaching classes and performing for hire.

I do all my own stunts...

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to make a go at it for two years... and sometimes think it was the wrong way to go. The studio almost did me in. It was really taking on too much at once and I lost a lot of money and it wasn't very fun.

Glittergirl in SF and the Temple of Poi... she's the person I know who has been the most successful at making an entire living from poi. I figured if she could do it so could I, but I don't have the business sense that she has.

I strongly recommend sticking with the day job and doing the teaching and performing on the side. I loved poi so much for so long, but after this past year I have a lot of difficult feelings to work through... I really want to find some other way of making money for a while so I don't have to do it through poi, then I play with poi for fun again.

...or maybe I'm actually going to pull it off. I'm about to release my instructinal DVD. Maybe it will do well, and I'll realize that I can make a living filming stuff about poi.

What I really need is a VERY FLEXIBLE day job :P

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
It'll happen Meenik - and you completely deserve that success for what you have given to the community.

Don't give up biggrin

Everyone gets tired of their job at some stage, it doesn't matter what that job is.

But you are so good at your job that you can draw a powerful emotion... you can make a person smile all day, or even cry, from watching you dance.

The financial reward will come eventually rolleyes

Getting to the other side smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
ditto Wholeheartedly agree biggrin

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I saw Doreen Virtue last week (Clairvoyant and author of heaps of books on communicating with Angels and stuff).

Her advice was that no one should suffer in a job they don't like, no one should suffer full stop. That's not why we're here.

And DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND THE MONEY WILL COME

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
"Do what you love and money will come."

I found the same resolution. Cause where is love inside, money meen nothing.

shine on you.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I know I for one will be buying that DVD. I was hypnotised watching you spin at Falmouth, and would dearly love to watch some more. Let me know when and where I can get my hands on a copy, and I'll be your first customer smile

I like the idea of building my LED poi and selling them as a full time job, but until they're ready (and assuming they sell), a day job is a necessity. Fortunately, I'm pretty happy with my job + it keeps food on the table and beers in my belly, which keeps me happy wink

Cake or Death?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, Nick, I feel the same about watching your film clips.. inspired and happy ubblove... and I am sorry that the studio wasn't a financial goer for you. A shame cos I was hoping to visit one day!

BUT I am delighted that you are coming here to us... bring lots of copies of the DVD! and at least you can have a wonderful trip to Australia out of it (I hope it's wonderful for you, I have no doubts it will be for us....!) hug

In a general sense, I do know some people *refrains from dropping son's name...umm d'oh* who have made a living out of fireshows and spinning for some years...a very very few people and I know what they've put into it... best wishes to anyone who goes that path!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

VolcanogrrlBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
meenik -- Oh no! I was hoping to head up your way sometime in the winter -- do a little skiing, do a little spinning, get down. But I'm very interested in your DVD. Really. You bring a certain something to spinning that is uncommon -- while we're all out here spinning to dance/trance/techno/whatever, you're making a video with the soundtrack from Amelie. So, I'd love to get my paws on your DVD and be further inspired. I also was SO EXCITED to find your clip about spinning off excess fuel with minimal impact to the environment (on your site). Besides bringing lots of ideas to the (proverbial) table, you must be a responsible performer as well and that's admirable.
But, yeah, it's probably the case with self-employment in general. Besides loving what you do, you gotta love taking care of business too. Me, I'm keeping the day job because I like it, and hoping to do poi on the side -- not even because I'm a brilliant spinner, but because I enjoy teaching and introducing people to new things. LOVE the looks on people's faces when I hand them my poi and they learn "chasing the sun" or something like that.
anyway, good luck to all.

I do all my own stunts...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Written by: Volcanogrrl

LOVE the looks on people's faces when I hand them my poi and they learn "chasing the sun" or something like that.
anyway, good luck to all.

I'd have to say I whole-heartedly agree with you on that one. When someone nails 3 beat weave, they almost glow biggrin

Cake or Death?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
To answer the question in the title.

I would advise against using money to weight your poi. Paper money just isn't weighty enough and coins will hurt like ouchbumbuggerbolloxeeeak if they hit you! biggrin I'd stick to lentles, juggling balls or other medium weight squishy things.

P.S. am I actually meant to read the contents of threads before I post in them? confused redface

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Picking up the odd corporate job here and there doin some fire spinning is a great way of gettin an extra 100 quid r so everynow and then but its pretty irregular... How many people usually need fire spinners per week?

HOP Newsletter