flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever had a near freshly lit poi suddendly go out on its own, even whilst not spinning it?

I came back to my parents house from uni a few days ago and being the old/affraid of chemicals type they took my firechains from the lounge last night and put them outside, where it subsiquently rained. So in order to dry to dry them out tonight i lit them up with the kero they had been dipped in after last time i spun, and just sat on the bench and waved them from side to side till the crappy flame increased to normal. Then I put them out and resoaked them.

Right, now lit one to practice throws with, then lit the second one, did some throws and had a sit down, with it still lit waving from side to side in a pendulum motion. Suddenly, in a completely windless environment, with the flame at full stength it went completely out. I lit it again with a match (it went up instantly) and it carried on burning for at least 5 more minutes.

I've got no idea why it suddenly went out on me, it wasn't even being spun in a full circle. Any explanations from physics hunchos, or is god just trying to tell me to stop playing with fire and take up a nice safe hobby instead like knitting?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
actually thinking about it, i saw an xfiles episode on spontaneous combustion once. Do you reckon i could get scully over to mine if i can recreate it?
Non-Https Image Link

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what sort of wicks are you using?

i got some some lovely hop monkeyfist fire poi a little while back and a similar thing happens with those

i started a burn and was swinging them real slowly so that the fire did not 'break' - there is no noise and a flame encompasses the whole of the wick which is really nice.

then one just went out - and it didn't die slowly, it just suddenly stopped burning.

i'd guess its a lack of oxygen thing as it tends not to happen if you keep you poi moving.

for some reason it tends to happen a lot less if i only move them slowly near the end of a burn instead.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
for some reason it tends to happen a lot less if i only move them slowly near the end of a burn instead.
because the wick will keep burning better when its warmed up. Same reason they're much easier to light when you've just done a burn with them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."