MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, I think I got this move down but Im not 100% sure Im doing it correctly. How many beats go on each side? What Im doing right now looks pretty good but it seems Im doing an extra beat somewhere along the way and Im not sure what I could be doing wrong. Wish I could get a video of it cuz Id slaughter a text description.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
if it looks good then who cares? Butterfly weave is simple, its just butterfly in one direction for a beat on one side of your body, then one beat of butterfly in the opposite direction on the other for a beat. You end up doing 2 beats on the side of the body your hand belongs to and one on the other, compared to in normal 3 beat weave where you get one beat on the side of the body the hand belongs to and 2 on the other.

As for video, you ain't looking hard enough, cause this recently got discussed here.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Flid,

That's not quite <> how I see this move. <> I feel Butterfly weave is butterflys using the weave hand motions / beat patterns (2,3,4, or 5 beats). You have described the 2bt version, but there's a whole world of mad butterfly weavage to play with. You need the TTN and 4bt TTN on both sides to open up some of the weavey stuff.

The first post that is <> similar to my thoughts is Josh's in the discussion you linked to.

Jo.

[ 03. July 2003, 08:13: Message edited by: Jo ]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies. I did in fact have the 3 beat butterfly weave correctly. Just gotta learn it backwards now hehe. And as for video, I wasnt looking for one. I was just saying that I wish I could post one of what I was doing so yall could tell me if I was doing it right.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
awesome, can we have a "my move name is correct and yours is just wrong" rant/thread please?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
quote:
Butterfly weave is simple, its just butterfly in one direction for a beat on one side of your body, then one beat of butterfly in the opposite direction on the other for a beat.
Sorry if I sounded harsh, Flid, but the above was very, shall we say, different to other people's understanding. It doesn't matter to me what people call their moves, but describing named and recognised moves differently on the board will lead to confusion.

So there!

Jo.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Flid isn't incorrect, just incomplete. If he said he was doing a 2b he would be right. Anyways the 2b is closer to a butterfly then the other TTN based ones, which are actually TTN's.

Also Couldn't you do hands together split time butterflies on either side like the 2b BF weave and do Threadtheneedlefoolery inbetween. That way you would get the nifty bouncing back and forth weird look of a split time butterfly from the side with extra beats like a "correct BF weave"

Personally now that I understand and can do flids bf weave and the "correct one" I like them both the same. The way the 2b one bounces back and forth and side to side has a pretty nifty effect for someone who is watching it head on.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Agreed.

There is tons of bf weaves, and the 2 beat is one of my favourites. Easiest to dance with by far - I use it loads.

I also like 3bt and 5bt. And 4bt. And I love the 2bts at either end of the 5bt. Mmmmmmmmm..... I love them all in split time and same time too. They're all gorgeous moves.

That is why I posted - I'm sure some peeps wouldn't realize there was so many possibilities to explore with this move if they thought, "Butterfly weave is simple, its just butterfly in one direction for a beat on one side of your body, then one beat of butterfly in the opposite direction on the other for a beat."

I wasn't trying to put anyone down or start a "my description is right" rant - honest

Jo.

PS. I've passified my first post. Reads a bit nicer now (but a bit less naturally)

[ 03. July 2003, 08:16: Message edited by: Jo ]

Onyx FlameSILVER Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I'm somewhat of a visual learner, but I'm just wondering if the 3 beat butterfly weave would be the same as the 3 beat Archer Weave done same-time. confused

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nope - butterfly weave has poi going in different directions.
It can be done split-time or same-time, and can be done Archer/LASA (Long-arm, short-arm) style or "normal".
It can be done with 2, 4 or 5 beats too smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
wow a six-year bump!! impressive.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
indeed!

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!