Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire sword construction idea

Login/Join to Participate

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
The other day I bought a katana. Was bored, watching Rouroni Kenshin and said to myself "That looks cool, I want one". So now I'm all hooked on sword play too.

Anyway, I also have a bokken (Wooden katana), and it has a wonderfull feel to it weight wise and everything, and I figured why not get two of these cheap ones and sword fight with them. On fire of course. I figure using 4", 1/16" thick wicking ought to do the trick because its cheap, semi light, and I have a lot of scraps laying around. Here's what I'm thinking.

Wrapping very tightly and only three or four times around the bokken, down the length of the blade. This will add weight to the blade portion, so some sort of counter weight is needed on the bottom of the handle... There are bokkens available with premade hand guards, so I'm not worried too much about that. Anyone tried this? I bet a couple of iadio students could put on a hell of a show with two of these.

Ya hear that Knagi! If this works your buildin one and we're correographing something! (or just whacking the crap out of each other with em for the enjoyment of the audience anyway, haha)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm fairly sure i remember a thread about fire swords a couple of months ago in the 'other toys' catagory. maybe there a few ideas there....

i was working on a few ideas for a mock staff fight a while ago, but many of my ideas came from learning some beginner sword training in aikido.
its possible to do flying rolls while holding onto your sword. its not too hard to learn either, and it would look fairly awesome with flaming swords!!
cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like flying rolls.
you eat them, yeah?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
if nothing else it will be intresting to see how long those strips of bamboo last...

Bender it's a martial arts move not and egg roll, sorry to get your hopes up man

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i am currently attempting to think of an intelligent witty retort to bender's query but a decent one eludes me at this point.....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

6,978 posts

Posted:
umm hey DJ Dimples [Frost], isn't that martial arty stuff very dangerous with swords, even without the fire?!?!
I found out that if you get to see COL4, you will definitely get to see someone performing a forward ground roll to a kip-up with two tiger-hook swords!!!! wowies!!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
No, not bambo, I'm talking about the ones that are actual carved wooden katanas (boken). I'm gonna get a friend to learn them with me so I can build a pair of these though.

6,978 posts

Posted:
wow! do they hammer and fold the wooden katanas jsut like the real thing?!?! My favourite ninja turtle had one! no wait, shredder wasn't even a turtle...
:loses all memory:

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
m n friends use these fur fun. I found that wrapping the wood in copper screening(or sheets) preserves the wood nicely. For guards, you'll have to make your own, as far as I know. You can cut your own in wood or metal using the plastic guards(for pattern) that some bokken come with. Iaido would be tough with a wick on the blade, even if you could stand the burn . Have fun learning the 'Succession technique'

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Are you referring to the weight being too much to weild? Hmmm.... Perhaps something lighter then... Thats it I'm ordering another bokken and I'm trying this.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
* bump *

hi..!

has any one had any more experience with fire swords..?

i have a crew going to perform at a festival over new years and a friend of mine is fantastic at tai ji and has done extensive sword forms.. needless to say, very interesting times ahead..

so i'm on the search for fire swords and the likes..

thanx.. smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

shadows_shadedBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
I have social gatherings from time to time, and at the entertainment of a fair few, me and four of my more inventive (and sensible, fun and much more coordinated) friends experiment to create new movie effects. Sometimes they flop, sometimes it turns out better than could have imagined.

Fire swords came up at the last gathering, alongside flaming soccer and flaming tennis.

For flaming swords, I used aluminium curtain rods, with strips of this tough material that was known only as "mock leather" used for handles. I used a single kevlar strip which spiral twisted around to the top, held on by a long but very thin length of chicken wire, wrapped once around. The wire added no extra weight, and made the swords only about %10 more bulky, a neglible amount when added to a background of darkness.

I very lightly added kero to the kevlar, and let it light up. It was rather spectacular... though I haven't had a change to improve upon the design yet. I was thinking about adding sparkler dust to provide trails...

The voices told me to say it. No really...
Ask them.

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
[Old link] wink

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
Why is it that everyone tends to make fireswords out of Bokken, or something else that breaks/bends to the point of uselessness easily? Here's a couple fireswords I made out of heavy gauge (3/16 inch) Aluminum with nothing more than an angle grinder and a Dremel tool.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Both withstand blows that would shatter bokken and shear curtain rod. Not too hard to figure out, either.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I'm designing fire-equipment for a musical. Here's a few pics of fireswords

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

Point your toes.

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
Hey musashii,
Where are you planning to get the copper screens/sheets (what are there orignal used for)-I'm building a wooden staff right now and that'd be most excellent for me own uses! I've looked in the hardware store....but it is so large-and I am so small....
anyways (enough with the inferiority issues)....
Antti Everything, your swords have achieved a state of ultra sexxy-very cool.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
psssst, Sassy, that was a post from 2003...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
ahh...shnoodles....where's that time machine again....

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
hey guys..
Fire sword instructions....
https://lostbiro.com/blog/?p=372

complete with pretty pictures biggrin

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

RagnarokFireBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I've made several fire swords, which can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86...100000626109355

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86...100000626109355

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86421&id=100000626109355

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86...103123316385205

I would NOT recommend using a wooden bokken. It just wouldn't last very long. I'd recommend going to a site like www.swordsswords.com or such, picking up an inexpensive katana, and modifying it. My first fire katana was modified by drilling a couple of small (1/8") holes in the blade, near the habaki (the metal piece between the tsube [handguard], and the blade. The habaki is what holds the katana in the scabbard [saya]), then using 4" Kevlar wick and wrapping the blade with it, stitching it shut around the blade with Kevlar thread, then attaching the wick by stitching it through the small holes drilled into the blade, ending the wick shortly above the habaki, so it wasn't terribly close to the handle. You can even run Kevlar rope along the length of the blade before you stitch up the 4" Kevlar around it, so that it will hold more fuel.

A couple things to keep in mind if modifying an existing sword... Make sure that it has a stainless steel blade, and not a chromed blade. Cyanide is used in the chroming process, and is NOT something you want to heat up and produce fumes from. Secondly, most inexpensive swords have fittings cast out of zinc. Zinc produces toxic fumes when heated. On that note, galvanized metal is coated with zinc, and shouldn't be used for any kind of fire toy. However, when it comes to swords with cast zinc fittings, as long as the fire doesn't come in direct contact with the fittings (such as the wick butted up to it. Space at least an inch between your wick and your fittings, if not more), you should be fine. Zinc has to get pretty hot to release the fumes, so as long as it's just near a heat source, and not getting heated up directly, you're in the clear.

There are a lot of other tricks for making fire swords, depending on the sword, but those are some basics. I hope that may help a bit.