Forums > Technical Discussion > Aerotech: anyone tried reverse engineered em?

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'd love some aerotech poi, but i'm just too poor to fork out for balls or meteors at 75 quid a piece. 75 quid for a pair maybe (max!!!), but 150 is just a bit beyond my student budget if i wanna pay this month's rent too.

Thus far I've constructed several types of homemade LED based poi, but i've yet to give it a serious go and haven't created anything more spectacular than electroglo.

I don't need intend to copy the PIC program, go into bussiness against them or anything like that - i doubt people wanting quality built gear would buy off me anyway ( ), but i wouldn't mind knowing a bit about their construction so i can make myself a simular set on the cheap. I probably won't bother going as far as a menu system or anything, but i know assembly programming and may make a basic PIC program for them for flashing etc. If i do i'll make it open source and give construction diagrams online.

So, have any slightly technically minded people who own them ever openned them up and have a gander inside? Do they use LEDs? how many and what millicandela rating are they? What sort of viewing angle does each have? What's the difffusing material they use? Any idea what voltage? (this one can most likely be found from the power supply's casing). Any help would be greatly appreciated, i need a project for my 4 months of uni holiday

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Hmm, good idea.

I'm not likely to be much use here as I don't have any yet, I'm getting 2 basic globalls for my birthday (yay me). However I won't be cutting into mine for a while yet.

The cheapest products that aerotech sell are the single colour non-strobe globalls, at £30 for red/yellow/orange varieties. The cheapest stroball is £55 I think.

So if your feeling rich you could invest in one and cut it up.

What I do know from reading their site is that they do use LEDs but I am not sure what sort.

I'll go have a look at their site.

Having had a look around their site all I have really found out is that they do use LEDs, they do not state which type. Nor how many.

With regards to the circuitry it is easier for me to quote them, as I know nothing

"This specially selected microprocessor comes complete with RISC architecture and even though the chip is only 3mm x 2.5mm it runs at 1 million instructions per second. Such processing power is required for monitoring battery voltage, charge current, led drive currents, sensor voltages, communications and programming modes."

So I doubt this has helped really. Still adds an extra post to my total, oh yay

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
For £65 a piece, you can get the meteors (they look like short clubs) and they can be attached to chains leaving some amazing tracers.. looks like 6 rings of color. Also, they change color when you tap them, making kicks, and wraps very interesting.

My birthday is this Sunday and I'm treating myself to the meteors. It's very irresponsible of me and I don't care.

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Hey DTKB

We've got the same birthday as each other, nifty.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
And mine is the day after...

the charge up voltage is 7.5 volts.

um...they flash all pretty like and thats all i care about..

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Idubl and Jon!!!!

I've NEVER met someone with the same b-day as mine, that is nifty indeed.

I'll be off in Old street Saturday night having a gong show of a party... and will probably end up at some poor unsuspecting club with an entourage of 30 punters ready to party proper... hihi!!!

Have a good one!!

And oh, United Chains of Fire, I so want to meet you before I move back to Canada!! (in three weeks).. maybe Clapham common some Sunday...

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
First of all happy birthday! Now....

So if your feeling rich you could invest in one and cut it up.

heh, the whole point of making my own is that i can't afford any If i get desperate i might end up buying a single 30 quid globall to take a look at, then maybe sell it on for 20.

With regards to the circuitry it is easier for me to quote them, as I know nothing

yeah i've looked round their site. They are driven by PIC processors. They cost a few quid and you can program then via your PC's parallel port. They are used a lot in amateur electronics projects for robots and stuff cause they are an entire computer on one cheap chip, plus you can reprogram them if you bodge it up/want to salvage it for another project. The other nice thing about them is that if you come from a programming background like me, you don't hafta design complex logic circuits or be an electronics god, cause you can just do it all on computer instead.

the charge up voltage is 7.5 volts.

ta.