Forums > Social Chat > Staff: Pride and impending shame

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So I made my five year old a practise staff from a yard long (little over a metre) dowel rod and duct tape an the ends and as the center grip. Prom and I twirl with practise staves like this and he wanted one, so with parental gusto and the knowledge that I am prolly going to be picking up alot of broken stuff from him, he has one, as of two days ago.Immediately he began a wonderful two handed twirl...he can also finger twirl in both hands, two hand over his head and behind his back. All I do is say...can you do this and he does, without my breaking it down for him!!!!If only I picked things up so quickly.I just had to share I am *sooooooooooooo* proud of him!!!! And he knows it which makes him want to do it more. grinAt this rate by the time he turns 7 he'll be putting Prom and myself to shame with the staff!!! smile and frown all at the same time!!! wink'Kay...enough sugary gushing! I just had to share!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Wow! Pele, get out there and practice before he really does put you to shame. I've heard that children learn faster, and this proves it.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I agree, i often poi out in the road (a nice quiet road) near my house, and the local kids come and watch alot, they always want a go so i lend them my practice poi's. They pick moves up so quickly, theres one little boy who i love to bits, he is so interested, and .. well lovely ( blush) ). But they will often show me moves that i had never even thought of.Pele, you should send a video of your son in to malcolm so he can put it on his 'whats happening in the spinning world' video! smile he sounds great.Chloehave fun and burn bright.

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
That's so cool Pele. I'd love to see him too.Chloe I can relate to your story about kids coming up to you while you're practicing. It's happened to me a few times. One little fella (about 4) was so keen to learn that he asked me if he could take my fluorescent poi home with him. I couldn't really afford to give them to him so I told his dad how they could make poi with a couple of tennis balls and a pair of long socks. A couple of weeks later I saw them in the park, dad reading the paper and the little fella madly spinning!It made me feel all warm and gooey
Non-Https Image Link