Forums > Technical Discussion > What kind of poi have U made ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Werekittenmember
54 posts

Posted:
I use tail poi with swivels and double finger loops and have just started experimenting with stretchy sock poi with liquid filled balls in the end.

[ 24. July 2003, 10:20: Message edited by: Werekitten ]

An innocent child will usually have the most evil intentions

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
Fire chains with rings for handles/interchangable with leather single loop handles..

Dog chain practice poi, with tennis ball heads & double finger loop handles

ball chain practice/beamer chains, tennis ball heads and nylon single loop handles

My stretchy poi broke.. sadly. At least they didn't hit anyone, which would have been terrifying..

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's my latest poi: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001081

Made from juggling rings, painful but visually really nice (there's a link to a vid clip on the thread)

Werekitten- are you coming to Sheff pip this weekend? Will you be bringing your tabor pipe?

I should be there unless I go to York juggling convention.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

cicatrixmember
32 posts

Posted:
The first thing I started spinning with were sock poi made by tying rice into a sock and then tying the sock to the end of the string. It works pretty well because it has a sort of a tail effect but they don't tangle up. I'm just starting to play around with some firechains I made with leather finger loops, I think I made them pretty sturdy but we'll see how long they take to break

'share and enjoy'

Circus Boymember
9 posts

Posted:
I recently made a set of poi using tennis balls, boot laces and some finger loops which I bought from a kite shop. To attach the balls, I made a small hole in one side and a larger hole in the other, threaded the laces through the small hole and pulled them through and out the other side with tweazers then tied a large knot at the end of each lace and pulled them back through. They work very well.

Warning: may contain nuts

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
At first (because I 'urgently' needed poi) I used a shifty combination of shoe-stings hair-elastics and stuffed-toys. For anyone wondering, yes, I know elastics are bad, they stretch the total length of the poi making them uneven in performance and likely to fly off as well as snap.

I've since gone to the hardware store to buy chain, key-rings and I've made double finger loops out of some spare leather. I also have home-made cathedral kevlar-wicks , but I kept the stuffed toys for practice. It's quite cute really, seeing a small Cthulhu plush swinging side by side with a teddy-bear. Of course now they're held by a leather harness rather than hair elastics (so they can't run away ).

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

Elementalmember
9 posts

Posted:
For Practice,

Tennis balls at the end of sailling rope. Slick and easy its awsoem for speed, accuracy and wraps. Having the tennis balls you can kick them as well.

For fire,

10 feet of kevlar wrapped in accordian style per head. Attached by airplane cable.

thats what makes me tinggle
Peace

P-Nut

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Mine are squash balls that I threaded a heavy piece of wire through and tied off, then split them and stuck in some bolts to bring the weight up. Decent chain was about 2 quid a metre from B&Q and I made the finger loops from strips of leather pop-rivited together, the whole thing cost less than £10. But I bought my LED and fire heads.

As an aside I tried swinging ELE transducers in the lab I run. One flew off the cable and broke at the cost of £300, plus now I have to monitor my triaxial compression machine manually. There's a moral here somewhere.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Hads ne one out here tried two wick fire chains cos my reckojning is they would be pretty hardcore. Imagine two on each hand. Hardcore.

Take the power back

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Am i the only guy to ever use HackySacks as weights? I saw Ash Circle live the other day (actually, 3 times in the past week) at the Halifax International Buskers and i instantly thought WOW, Poi + Fire would kick ass. Since i already have a good understanding of fire i need to learn poi. So i came home the other day and made a set out of string and hacky sacks. Advantages?? umm.. they work? Disadvantages, the strings dig into my fingers while spinning fast/hard, and the hacky sacks hurt a little when they hit my manhood. Though i'd imagine any poi would hurt there...

Anyway, back on topic... I'm planning on making a pair of poi out of Dog/Wallet Chain, some sort of nylon material, like cat/smalldog collars for the handles.. (I'd use leather but i don't have easy access to leather and tools to cut it into handle shapes..) KeyRings, and i'm gonna make a few different heads.. or whatever you avid poi-ers call them...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts
Location: from the fiery heart of the british isles.(that be...

Posted:
you people have some very...well...inventive ideas for poi....i thought i'd add mine.....
My latest venture was washing line...with finger loops at end....attatched to other end is a washing tablet bag...you know those white mesh and blue toggle things which rid the days of washing powder spillages...available from your local supermarket...just pop in two tablets into your wash for bright sparkly whites......yes.hhhhhhhhmmmmmnnnnnn.....an advert for persil there i think....where was i ....oh yeah one of those at the other end...pop in your samball....[glowing squishy balls]...or your tennis balls for all of you obsessed with them!!!!.... and bob's ya uncle pretty spinning things......with a washing theme......you can add loads to them and the washing line is great cus it dont tangle and glides through the air real nicely!.. Failing that....i go with the long socks and hacky sack option...except one of my socks is longer than the other which has created ickle problems.......especially when spinning in small room with lots of breakables around you.....always judge the stretchability of ya socks...prevent angry flatmates!!!...that's it for now.....

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Sounds interesting... i'm pretty sure i know what you mean... i think... they are those balls you throw into the load and they release the soap halfway through the wash cycle...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Dr GreenthumbBRONZE Member
Roll up!, The Doctors in the house!
243 posts

Posted:
that is one mad but genius set of poi!

wow lolsign

If we all ate one person then i'd be full.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i've got my sock poi with arnt exactly hard. and i've made fire poi with towel wicks. currently in the process of making triple headed fire poi. should be ready for falmouth biggrin

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
My poi up 'til now have been braided nylon para cord with comfy nylon handles and a swivel snap-thingie at the end for quick changing of the heads. I have good ol' tennis balls for practice, and homemade LED heads for darkness that my friend fabricated for me, since I didn't have the know-how...and I've just gotten from another friend some gorgey cathedral fire heads - which I can't use 'til I get chains. Can't wait... ubbrollsmile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Ah, couldn't resist posting - here's my list (in order)...

1) Basic tennis ball Poi - tennis balls on string
2) Decent tennis ball poi - finger loops made from backpack straps and chain replacing the string
3) First wicks - Heat resistant matt (used to avoid burning things whilst soldering central heating systems etc.) wrapped up and held in place with some hefty copper wire. Pretty dangerous in retraspect!
4) Propper kevlar wicks - About 4ft of kevlar wrapping around a thin alu tube. Two bolts hold the kevlar together and that's the only exposed metal.
5) LED Poi mark one - some pretty damn bright LED poi (note my avatar).
6) Wire-wool cages made from a bird feeder cut in half with the ends folded back over. smile

Still to come are some more advanced LED Poi - I've finally gotten the controller chips so now i just need to come up with a little circuit and some programming biggrin

Cake or Death?

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Recently i took the L.E.D'S off my poi and tied on fluffy dice, hee hee i have two black dice with white spots on the left poi and two white dice with black spots on the right poi. Hee hee hee hee, i like my dice poi...they dont hurt

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
i use to make these little sandbag poi on ski rope with webbing as handles , i use to make them for the kids that i tought, and they were realy cool , i still have a few pairs left over , they were cool and they served their purpose!

then i made my own staff out of , ' guess what. an old broom handle!!' i carved out a handle then put twine around it , nice and snug . the rope is a very comfortable handle . then between the wick and the handle i cut grooves into the wood so that when the excess fuel runs down , it beads and drips off , inorder to keep the rope handle from getting all crappy biggrin

its great i love it , and i cant wait to make my next one!!!:)

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Estella Greennewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Either shoe strings and keyrings, or jackchains with led's in them, they look awsome they are cheap and if your not handy witha soldering iron like myself you can go buy cheesy kits from radio shack and weave the led's and cable through the jackchains...

how ever i have gone to as far as using clothing and shoe strings... best to use clothes you dun want anymore or you can risk ripping them x.x

how ever when i get time im gonna hollow out a few expended glowsticks and put in a few led's in em so they stay lit and can be turned off, not to mention the fact that they wont break on me and sprutz everyway x.x [the keyrings slice the chems out of the sticks sometimes...]

No letters were harmed in the creation of this message...

The Protologist called, They found your head...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I once did poi with some (wet) wet suit boots.. very heavy, but good for a laugh smile

Cake or Death?

Estella Greennewbie
5 posts

Posted:
i made a poi set today out of scrapes of fabric keyrings and some jackchain tongue so far they are great, you want to make a joke of clothing try leather jacketsw, i didnt tie strings to it but it was fun to spni around....

No letters were harmed in the creation of this message...

The Protologist called, They found your head...

cado abusatoMadly Sane!
159 posts

Posted:
i want to make sock poi, as they are easier to do certain tricks with, im actually going shopping tomorrow to buy the socks and find something tennis ball like to put inside of them, but everyone does that really dont they.. i know someone who wants to make fire poi.. i hope it goes alright for them

No Vigourous Picking Of The Nose

Bubbinskanewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I have 2 sets of poi at the moment, for different uses.

My indoor or practise poi are made of shoestrings, with a pair of glowsticks tied on. When the glowsticks run out, I just replace them. Light and fast, good for practise.

My second pair are made of chain, with leather grips and a clamp at the end with holes drilled, through which I can fasten up to 8 sparklers on each poi. They're safer than steel-wool, and probably cheaper, too. These involved some welding, which I'm not too good at frown

Page: